“A bit scruffy”

Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in St Kilda
Canberra
“A bit scruffy”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Stayed here several nights. Good location. The traffic on Inkerman St is challenging. Room itself was a bit drab and scruffy. The secondary lock on the door was broken. The toilet ran the whole time, despite being reported was not fixed. The place needs a bit of fresh air. There was a lack of power points - the only place to boil the kettle was in the bathroom.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Geelong, Australia
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I booked a wotif.com 'Business Package'. This was for a standard room with an upgrade to a spa suite (if available), wifi and continental breakfast basket.

I was staying in the area as my wife was staying overnight in a nearby private hospital undergoing a medical procedure. This was the closest and more affordable place I could find with what was included at $165.

The day I arrived it was approaching midday, and although check-in time isn't mean to be until 2pm, I decided to drop in to check to see how on target we are with that time or if I could check-in early. I was told by reception that there's no room ready for me, quite understandable and I wasn't expecting it anyway. However I was then told my check-in would be closer to 4pm due to there being "some slow movers this morning". Looks like check-out times aren't really enforced here.

They did however offer to take any baggage I had with me, which I hadn't really. I was fortunate enough to not be in a position where I had to check in at a certain time. I returned after 4pm and checked into the room.

Obviously the place must have been rather full as I didn't get my spa suite upgrade. I was mildly disappointed but knew the terms of the deal. It just would have been nice. I ended up with the standard suite. Very standard I found and rather drab. The whole feel of it is just old like the TV, appliances and the furniture. Even the fridge looked like it was older than the building itself. My room contained a large bed (secretly two singles pushed together, that old trick) and a single bed. The bathroom was again basic, small shower, basin and toilet. Everything still looking very old and well used.

There was a small little private outdoor area with a table and chairs. More like a smoking area. This added some more pleasant feel knowing I wasn't locked into the room and had my own little nice space outside.

The breakfast basket was waiting for me in the fridge. It was satisfactory. The one problem I found was the appliances like toaster and kettle were there as usual, but the position of power sockets didn't allow them to be used anywhere other than in the bathroom. There's a set of double power points located next the the TV cabinet high on the wall but nothing underneath to put them on.

The location itself is on a main road but no traffic noise and the main building is set far back from the road. The car park is in between the building and the road, which is for guests parking. Although it's kind of tight for room but this could have been because of the place being so full when I stayed.

Quite a few guests staying I found as from about 9pm (their recommended time to keep noise down for other guests) the suite next door to me started up what sounded like a party with about 20 of them in there. Yes I could have complained but it didn't bother me too much, just thought it was a bit discourteous of them. What makes me wonder is if anyone noticed as our rooms were located quite close to reception and I could hear various people going in and out of that room all night.

It's quite a walk to anything where it is situated. Or catch a tram somewhere. It's right in the middle of residential with not much in the way of businesses around. But if you're keep, Chapel Street isn't too far away.

Room Tip: Pay more to get something other than just the standard suite. It might be better.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank TH_Geelong
Albury, Australia
Reviewed August 6, 2012

The only thing that one could criticise would be dicing with the traffic on Inkerman Street. In all other respects this strangely designed but wonderfully accommodating hotel is simply perfect for convenience of location, ease of access, straightforward facilities, spacious rooms and good value for money. I made the awful mistake of staying closer to St Kilda in 'Apartments Ink' recently and have since regretted my decision to be disloyal to the wonderful Quest East St Kilda.

Room Tip: A room facing east and backing onto the leafy backyards of East St Kilda provides beautiful, quiet m...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank John S
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed June 24, 2012

We stayed ta the Quest St Kilda for 2 nights, it was a nice comfortable sized room, probably a little overpriced, based on the location. It was a also a little hard to find - as we drove past it twice before noticing the small green sign amongst the green leafy fence.

If you don't have a car this is a less than ideal location to stay as it's quite a walk from anywhere except the odd pub or two, and being in a traditional Jewish area a lot of the shops close for the Sabbath. The parking situation is pretty poor. We ended up having to park our car on the street as there was some sort of seniors dinner on and all the parks were taken.
The furniture was a little run down, the decor quite dated and the terrace outside our room needed a sweep. The staff were polite enough but didn't really appear friendly or interested in going above and beyond.

Overall an ok place to stay, but I won't be rushing back in a hurry.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank NurseEva
Reviewed February 26, 2012

After reading some not so good reviews online I was a bit apprehensive about staying here. My partner and I spent one night in an executive suite with a spa. It was a very clean and tidy room, the spa was great! The service from staff on check in was pleasant. The pizza place that delivers straight to your room is a brilliant idea. The pool was gorgeous. The courtyard outside out room was nice and quiet and it was very quiet. Overall it was a great place to stay I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Sarahj2503
Australia
Reviewed January 29, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights. It was quiet but the whole place needs a refurb. Our room got the morning sun and the only sun shade was heavy blackout curtains, partly coming off the rails which meant we either sat in darkness or with lights on, not very pleasant, no view. Carpet was stained and general appearance in the public rooms was that the decor was tired and needed some money spent on it.The buildings are modern and well built with glass atrium etc Reception staff were helpful. Fire alarm went off in the night & we found the fire exit was locked but have been told it will be rectified in a couple of days, also alarms did not go off in our rooms only in the corridor. Not good if you wear ear plugs!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
canberra
Reviewed January 29, 2012

We booked 2 rooms with one room with a foldout bed.
It was pretty tight but ok. Staff where great and tried to organize a bigger room when they found out we had a fold out bed in the double room. Indoor pool was great, spa didn't seem to heat up at all. A short walk away in Balaclava was fantastic cafes and restaurants.

Room Tip: Ask for a big room if there is more than 2 of you staying.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends