“Good Stay”

Adina Apartment Hotel St Kilda Melbourne
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in St Kilda
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I had a good stay at Medina, although having stayed at other Medina properties i felt that there is still room for improvements.

Thumbs Up for: Good location, easy access to trams, cool cafes, bakeries, bars within walking distance

Thumbs Down for: Leaky shower screen in room 83, flooding the floor, crappy reception on TV, two lifts and a maze to get to level 5

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
MESKMgr, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel St Kilda Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your recent stay with Medina St Kilda.

I'm glad you enjoyed our fantastic location and had the time to get out and enjoy the local area.

Thank you for providing the room number for your stay. I will ensure that maintenance looks at the shower to rectify the leak. Unfortunately there's not much we can do about the 2 lifts though! We are getting another lift installed soon, so that will speed things up considerably.

Should you wish to discuss this in further detail please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel.

Medina Executive St Kilda

Write a ReviewReviews (1,339)

Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

Amazing in one way. Minute squashed dent attracting car park. They boast it's free. Would not pay for it. Rooms very average, glass only enclosing shower and toilet (stay with someone you know) and weird central console with TV on it. Access to rooms is arduous as there are two blocks so in our case two lifts. Waste of time. The free breakfast at 2 Doors Down the only positive. Won't be going back.

• Stayed: October 2012

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on your recent stay with Medina St Kilda.

I'm sorry to see that you didn't enjoy your stay with us. I can assure you that the frosted glass in the bathrooms is not see through. It is a heavier frosting than you would find on most external bathroom windows.

The TV cabinets in the Studio Apartments are designed so that you can rotate the TV. You can then watch TV either from the bedroom or the lounge area.

If you would like to discuss your stay in further detail, please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

I was really excited about coming to St Kilda as I had heard good things about it. We checked into the Medina as the location was good and price was even better, but that is we're the good review stops.
We had not been informed on check in that there was construction occurring which promptly began at 7am the following morning outside our bedroom window. This was after listening to the neighbouring rooms until the small hours of the morning.
The walls are thin so I could hear the conversation almost word for word, doors opening and slamming shut and footsteps like an elephant was running through the room.
The room decor in the kitchenette area was dated un matching and missing hadles, the glass frosted pane from bedroom to lounge area was broken with a large crack running through it and the tv channels were all fuzzy.
I would not recommend staying here if you appreciate your sleep.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

I'm sorry to hear you didn't get a great nights sleep. Please remember that Reception is available 24 hours to assist. If the guests in the next room are making noise, please let us know so that we can contact them about it.

Unfortunately the construction site is able to start work at 7am on weekdays and 8 am on Saturdays. Thankfully this will soon be finished as they have now taken down the crane and they have an early 2013 completion date for the building.

If you would like to discuss your stay in further detail please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

This was my husband's choice as we could not agree on one so I said "over to you" (I did say it with a smile though :)). I really liked the Medina St Kilda. The room was divided with sliding glass doors for the bedroom and bathroom. Well stocked kitchen including washing machine, dryer and one drawer dishwasher. Everything was spotlessly clean, bed comfy and had a little courtyard. My husband said (well I thought I should consult him about my review seeing it was his choice) it was a bit noisy due to building works however that is something that will soon go away. Location was good, just about 15 min walk to main shops of St Kilda. Breakfast was at a cafe called "2 doors up" which was basically 2 doors up from the hotel. We only had time for a one nighter at the Medina but we would definitely go back and recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Your husband has good taste in choosing hotels! You will be pleased to know for your next stay that the construction works should be completed by early 2013. The crane has been taken down now, so that has significantly reduced the noise first thing in the morning.

I agree with you about the beds too! They are very comfy!

We look forward to welcoming you back to Medina St Kilda on your next trip to Melbourne.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

I've stayed here twice now and would go back again. The apartments are a good size, and clean and I love the convenience of having a kitchen if you want it. There are trams right out front or a two minute walk away that will get you into downtown within 15 minutes and cost peanuts. This makes it a great place to stay, especially in the summer because you have the option of just walking down to the beach if it's really hot.

Try to get a room overlooking the park as it's pretty and peaceful.

Our only downside was that the second time, it was a 40 degree day and the air conditioning couldn't quite keep up, however in a 40 degree day, I'm not sure that any AC could.

Quite helpful front desk staff too.

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the park
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your stay with Medina St Kilda.

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and that the team here were able to assist you with everything you needed.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Melbourne!

Reviewed September 19, 2012

Pros: VALUE for the money I paid for it (about $110/night)! I was delighted to find that my one-bedroom apartment was very clean and bright, and NOT tired-looking at all as other reviews have said. Living room was small but big enough for me (staying alone). Bedroom was spacious as was the balcony with access via both the bedroom and the living room. The balcony overlooked the back of the hotel to the back of some other building but it was reasonably private. Staff were nice and good for a chat.

Gym was available but it was a bit small and enclosed (no windows) with a stair machine, treadmill, exercise ball and some of those bench things where you do sit ups or whatever.

Fantastic location with fabulous cafes on the doorstep. OMG hit up Fitzrovia up the road for lunch... Deeeeelicious. Bit of a longer walk to say, Acland St etc. but still a great vibe on Fitzroy St. Also, some local restaurants deliver to your door and accept room charges so I got a fabulous Japanese meal delivered and didn't even have to find an ATM. Briliant when trying to study!

CONS: Noisy airconditioning unit audible when the doors were open and quite a lot of construction noise starting at 7am but I'm sure that's temporary. Shower head was also fizzing water around a bit - I forgot to mention this to them, my bad.

Overall: Very good value!! I loved it.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay with us!

We look forward to welcoming you back to Medina St Kilda in the future.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

Recently stayed for a long weekend with two friends in one of Medina Executive's 2 bed apartments. The "Executive" is a bit optimistic, but it's a nice enough self-catered apartment complex, although it really is feeling its age now. I've stayed a few times now, and I like it for the location, and the friendly/helpful staff, but you can tell that "it will do" is more the goal. Most things worked, just, but the odd assortment of cutlery, crockery, pots and pans, just makes cooking and entertaining that bit more frustrating. During my stay, the lift sounded as though it was on its last legs, very noisy bearings or runners making a horrible grinding and screeching noise - pity that my bedroom was next to the lift shaft.

Fitzroy Street is noisy, especially at weekend nights, and some of the guests tend to ignore the request to respect other residents and not hold noisy parties late into the nights. Lots of restaurants and other night life in Fitzroy Street, and a well stocked IGA is very handy for grocery shopping needs just across and down the street a little. Needless to say, Acland Street is not far away for the sweet tooths. Trams pass by the front door, and Albert Park is opposite. A street side apartment gives views of the Melbourne skyline, and looks very pretty at night.

If you are driving, there is a guest carpark available for extra cost. Don't bring a big car though unless you know where the edges of your vehicle are, as the entrances are narrow, and the parking spaces are really tight. Don't bring a low car either, or you will lose the underside exiting on to the alleyway at the rear of the complex.

Would I come back? Yes, it has a combination of handiness to reach many southern and central parts of Melbourne, handy for Queensway, Princes Highway, the city centre, etc. I can put up with the non-Executive nature, for now anyway, but the management really does need to spruce the building and the internals up somewhat.

Room Tip: Street side rooms have trams rumbling past... Also night life outside can be a bit noisy if you are...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

I'm pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay in St Kilda. I agree, the location here is fantastic and nice an dclose to everything. Unfortunately the downside of being so close to such a huge number of restaurants and bars can be the noise on weekends. We do have a very strict no party policy within the hotel, however as you have noted, some people have little respect for it. We do our best to ensure noise from other apartments stops as soon as it is reported to us.

As far as the kitchem equipment, I trust this was rectified once you spoke to Reception? We obviously don't want to clutter up the kitchens with items that will be rarely used, however we have a variety of different pots and pans and extra cutlery and crockery that we can provide on request.

Should you wish to discuss any aspect of your stay in greater detail, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.