“Delightful Gem of a Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rydges St Kilda

Rydges St Kilda
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in St Kilda
New York City, New York
“Delightful Gem of a Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2010

We stayed for only 2 days and wished it could have been longer. The staff were a pleasure to deal with, the accomodations exceeded our expectations, the price and the location was great. This hotel was perfect for us. Easy to explore St. Kilda, easy access to transport, access to the Sea Baths a plus. Even the elevator will put a smile on your face.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
sasfrazer, Public Relations Manager at Rydges St Kilda, responded to this review, June 10, 2010
Dear newyorker1220,

Well, I think that a New Yorker giving us the thumbs up is a great day in the style stakes! Thanks so much for your review. We work hard to keep this little house humming and I think it pays off for our guests.

The elevator is a fun touch. I hope you got to check out Luna Park while you were here.

I'm heading to New York for Christmas this year and I am so excited! I've never been and I hope that the hotel I'm staying in gets this type of review from me when I log on.

Sas Rowlands
General Manager Urban St Kilda
Brand Manager Urban Hotel Group

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Indonesian first
Sydney Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2010

Took the Wotif Mystery Hotel but a bit of research before told me that it was the UrbanSt Kilda before I booked. What a great deal to get. We had a hotel room at a cost of $119 a night and it was a bargain. Parking was an additional $15 but well worth it as we had no trouble finding a space.

The room was sizable enough for the 2 of us and ultra clean, which is of utmost importance. And the bed is sensational!!! Check in was very smooth and the guy on the desk, Dean I think, was very friendly and informative. There are computers in the foyer, connected to a printer which makes it simple to print your boarding pass for your next flight....this is all complimentary!!

The hotel is located on Fitzroy St, very close to a plethora of good restaurants, convenience stores, ATM's, pubs and bottle shops and serviced by great transport.

I will stay there again very shortly and recommend it to anyone staying in Melbourne. Well done Urban Hotel....keep up the good standard.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
sasfrazer, General Manager at Rydges St Kilda, responded to this review, June 10, 2010
Dear annabelle2904,

Thanks for letting us know that you enjoyed your stay. How amazing is Dean!? H came to us from a Media Agency background and we are so lucky to have him. It's phenomenal how much that initial guest checkin experience means to the vibe of your stay.

We'd love to see you back here asap!

Sas Rowlands
General Manager Urban St Kilda
Brand Manager Urban Hotel Group
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2010

so a hotel is just a hotel right? what happens if your marketing your hotel as"more than a hotel?", what would you expect? I expected something that was close to home because for me thats MORE than a hotel. because after all a hotel room is just a cube with a bed, a bathroom and tv right? so what did i find at the urban? "squeal" its as close to home as i am going to find! and reasonably priced? yes indeed!

the entrance to the rooms has lavender at the door, flat screen tv, great size bathroom, heavenly pillows, a blanket to curl up in and cute as punch slippers (wont spoil it for you - check em out yourself), and pillow top beds! superb! if you are looking for a hotel you are going to love, in the heart of cosmopolitan st kilda - dont look any further than the urban! staff are sensational, cute, hip young things. and the breakfast?- dont miss it!! urban awesome IN A FEW: this place has a sense of humour, and if you do too, you will love it .IN ONE: awesome.

Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
sasfrazer, General Manager at Rydges St Kilda, responded to this review, May 6, 2010
Dear notkansasanymore,

Reading a review like thia makes every late night and every 7 day week worth it. We are so stoked that you had such a wonderful stay.

We know that our guests, whether they are travelling work work or leisure are looking for a home away from home where they don't have to clean up :)

Sounds to me like we hit the mark with you. Great moment.

We look forward to seeing you again and thankyou for taking the time to let us know that you enjoyed your stay. It is really appreciated.

Urban St Kilda
Oxford
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2010

Firstly do not be fooled by the video they have on their website. Your experience will be nothing like that. The best thing about the Urban is the location, right in the heart of St Kilda with everything on your doorstep, including trams into the City, restaurants, bars and the beach (although the water was teaming with jellyfish). Whilst the staff are friendly and the rooms are clean, it is just an average hotel and it just isn't 4 star, I'd say a mediocre 3.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear OxfordBlonde,

Thankyou for taking the time to review our property. I am really happy that the rooms were clean, that you enjoyed the area and that the staff were friendly.

It's also wonderful to know that you have viewed our property videos online. These are taken from shoots within each of our properties with the only change being the talent we used for the shoots. They are great aren't they!

I hope that you choose to stay with us next time you are in town. The location really is wonderful.

Best,

Hotel Urban St Kilda
Bali, Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2010

I stayed September 2009 for 5 nights. I love this hotel, the staff are friendly and courteous and understand when to pay attention and when to mind their own business. I had a superb room with windows overlooking Fitzroy St. The double glazing works perfectly letting in the light & view but zero noise. The linen and amenities are high quality, fresh and perfectly clean. The food is great. I struggle to think of an improvement... probably the elevator could speed up a bit but dont get me wrong this hotel is no sky scraper, maybe 6 floors (?) something like that. I look forward to returning.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Dear highendholiday,

I am delighted to read that you had such a wonderful stay. Your TA user name makes me think that you love a quality hotel and we are pleased that we were able to offer you something that suited.

We love our property and take great pride in both the general operation and the product. The amenities are really delightful. They are by an Aussie company called Evo and are straight out of hairdressing salons.

We hope you choose to stay with us again next time you are in the area, and if you are in Brissy or Sydney you should check out our properties there.

Thankyou,
Bratislava, Slovakia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2010

Stayed for 5 nights in March 2010. The Urban is a great hotel. Not luxurious but very comfortable and in the middle of all the action in St Kilda.

King beds are comfortable in simple, almost plain rooms. Plain but with a good feeling and with enough in the room to keep us happy. This included reasonable wine glasses, free internet, small table, chair and lounge style chair with foot futon. Internet service was sometimes spotty which seems consistent with past stays and other reviewers.

OK room service but with so many restaurants within walking distance there's not much call for room service... The windows are double glazed at the front of the hotel so although we were on Fitzroy st, the noise was not much and did not interrupt my sleep.

Parking onsite was good and very welcome as we were there when the huge hailstorm came through and the rental car was just fine. Only downside is you must exit the car to buzz reception to open the gate to carpark.

Good breakfast in small cafe out the front and reasonably priced.

I've stayed at this hotel on visits to Melbourne over the last 6 years, including the rebrand from The Marque, and will continue to stay here in the future. The hotel is very good and excellent value for money. Keep up the good work and as long as the rates are good I'll keep visiting :)

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear jo,

It's so nice when a return guest takes the time to come on here and give the property a shout out. Sounds to me like this is an old fave of yours and I'm really happy that we have retained your business through and after the rebrand to Urban.

While our restaurant is lovely, I do agree with you on the area and the amazing dining choices that our out there. I think our brekky is one of the best on the strip, but I would definatelty ventuer out while you are in the area and try some of Melbournes best restaurants.

We look forward to seeing you again, and thankyou very much for your loyal business.

Sydney Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2010

We booked in here for 1 night and wished we had stayed more. Offered on site parking which is really valuable in St kilda. Staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful .Small restaurant was inexpensive and meals good.
Good vibe throughout hotel, trendy decor, room was great, very modern, spotlessly clean with good size bathroom.No view from room but that didnt worry us. Also rooms are back from main street so were quiet. Room only needed an extra chair. Staff said we only had to ask and they would have provided one.
Loved the lift- like walking onto the local pier
Trams right outside to everywhere if you needed. Close to beach, sea baths, Luna Park and lots of restaurants.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Gail,

One night in St Kilda is a short trip indeed! You would have just dipped your toes in the water. Such a fun strip of bars and restaurants (I haven't triesd them all and I've been here for 18 months!).

It's great that you enjoyed your stay. I'll pass on your compliment to my staff, they are such a great group of people. They really care about their jobs and I'm constantly delighted by the reviews that they get both on TA and on our in house guest cards. I LOVE them.

Have a wonderful day and I hope that next time you are in the area you come back to us,