“Get the Round Room!”
Review of Rydges St Kilda

Rydges St Kilda
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in St Kilda
Reviewed July 6, 2014

Whenever I book hotels I make sure the room has a tub as it's not a luxury I'm able to enjoy in my shower-only apartment. This room did not disappoint with it's large bath in the bed area. You can lie back and watch a movie on the big screen TV. There is plenty of space to spread out with a separated bathroom containing a basin, shower and toilet. The room is very clean with shiny tiles and a spacious desk to put a laptop and newspapers, as well as eat. The bed was extremely comfortable with a firm mattress and soft underlay.

There was not much to criticise with regard to the room itself however there were some minor disappointments. When checking in I asked if there was room service for dinner and was told yes. I phoned to order a meal at around 6:20pm and was told the kitchen was closed. I find this rather baffling considering 6:30 is still early, and I was not told the cut off time when checking in. I was advised to try MenuLog which was fine but most of the restaurants listed have a $25 minimum order which makes it a bit expensive for one, not to mention wasteful. My order arrived within an hour with no cutlery or napkins and therefore I had no choice but to eat my dinner with a teaspoon (or go downstairs in my pjs and ask for cutlery). But overall not a major issue.

The other minor thing was that the TV had minimal channels so I would recommend bring an iPad with GooglePlay and spend $10 on the wifi.

Overall a very comfortable stay with friendly staff. One night was not enough.

Room Tip: Get the round room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
Hotel U, General Manager at Rydges St Kilda, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2014

Hi Lindleann,

Thank you so much for your recent review. We too also love our unique Round Rooms, and they are so popular as we only have two....nothing better than relaxing in large spa whilst cathing up on some TV.

Glad you slept well on our Urban Snoorer also, they are so comfy, so much so that we even sell them to our guests. Feel free to call us directly if you want to know anything further about how you can own your own.

Apologies about the miss-communication regarding Room Service we recently trialed having the kitchen close on a Sunday night due to Winter but have now reopened.

Reviewed June 25, 2014

Stayed here during March 2014.

The hotel was being renovated which involved noisy works and hindered entry/exit from the building. However, no apologies or compensation was made for the inconvenience.

Our room wasn't available at the agreed check in time and we had to wait for another hour.

The service was not friendly or welcoming, some staff seemed more interested talking to their friends or watching sport on the TV rather than helping guests.

The room itself was dirty, including hairs in the corners of the bathroom, stains on ceiling, urine stains at the back and under the toilet seat, unknown stains on the duvet cover and the furniture in poor condition. As an example of the poor standard, a piece of dental floss remained on the floor of the main public corridor for 3 days.

Our view out of the window looked out onto the neighbouring building's roof. Which would have been fine except it looked like Oscar the Grouch's living room. One day we were looking out the window and watched the cleaner in another hotel room wipe off the water tumblers with a bathroom towel.

Overall, really disappointing because the TripAdvisor rating had made it seem really good.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Hotel U, General Manager at Rydges St Kilda, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2014

Hi Shelley F,

Thanks for your feedback. So sorry to hear that there were elements of your stay that didn't meet your expectations.

It was unfortunate that we were undergoing our facade and entrance refurbishment during your stay, and although we did our best to manage the noise there are always times when this is not going to be possible. On a positive note the works are now all complete and we have had nothing but positive comments about our new look.

Your comments regarding the cleanliness of the room and the level of service provided by our reception team are very concerning and certainly not the level of service that the team is trained to provide. I do wish that you had taken the opportunity to ask for me during your stay to discuss your concerns as I would have been able to take action on them immediately and do whatever possible to resolve them whilst you were still staying with us.

I would certainly appreciate the opportunity to show you that the level of comfort which you experienced on this stay is not reflective of the usual high standards our guests normally experience. Should you choose to stay with us on your next visit to St Kilda please get in touch with me directly on jamesm@hotelurbanstkilda.com.au and I will be sure to look after your booking personally.

Thanks again

Reviewed June 22, 2014

I had never really stayed in this area before but I was having trouble finding any hotel in the Melbourne CBD over this particular weekend. I found this gem as a Last Minute Secret hotel and was overall really happy. It said it was a 4.5* however I would rate it a good 4*. Our room was on the third floor and had no view to speak of (trashy rooftops) however this had the bonus of being away from the road and we heard absolutely no road noise at all.

The room had a king bed which was very comfortable, good heating (split system), clean bathroom with good water pressure and a decent sized flat screen tv. It was fairly austere but we had no complaints. My only issue about the beds were the pillows - they were either super flat or really high.

The best thing about this hotel is the location. There are a lot of restaurants on the same same road but also within a short walk to Acland street and surrounds. We caught the tram in and out of the city very easily - there is a tram stop almost across the road. Very convenient. In fact I think I will consider St Kilda for future trips where I usually stay in the CBD as I loved the vibe of the place and the lovely esplanade area.

The staff were very friendly and helpful and I would definitely stay again if I got the room at the right price.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Hi JustAllie,

Thank you so much for your positive review on Trip Advisor. There is nothing better than booking a mystery hotel and discoverying a little gem.

It seems that you enjoyed Hotel Urban for everything we want it to be. I will be sure to pass on all your feedback to the team.

Our beds (Urban Snoorer) are very popular and our guests are always commenting on them, so much so that we now even sell them to them. If your keen to know more about how to purchase one let us know and we will be happy to assist.

Glad to hear you will be back to visit us again.

Reviewed June 19, 2014

The hotel staff were lovely and very accommodating and the location was excellent, walking distance to great cafes and restaurants, waterfront and main attractions in St Kilda. Easy tram access to most places.
Accommodation was basic and the walls were thin, so it was a bit noisy. The rooms were not quite like the pictures, however it is clean and the shower was great.
We went for a girls weekend and the twin room is single beds, not what I am accustom too, but they were comfortable enough.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends

Hi Nicole G,

Glad to hear you enjoyed your recent girls weekend away in St Kilda.

We are so lucky to be conveniently located on Fitzroy St, with the beach only 200 metres away, 3 trams out the front and with new bars and cafes opening up every week there is always something to do when your in the area.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

The staff are super lovely! They looked after us really well. The hotel itself is comfortable. The room I had was very big and I have a view of the city which was great at night with all the lights. The bed was so comfy and the room was clean. I couldn't get the spa bath working which was a little annoying but I forgot about it quickly. The reception staff were so helpful on Sunday when I had to use the computer in the lobby. Breakfast at the hub is a must! Unfortunately we didn't have enough time to check out Mavis browns. The hotel is close to shops and cafés without being too far away from the CBD and places like chapel st. I would definitely come back to this hotel.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends

Hi Mim A,

Thank you so much for your great review on Trip Advisor.

Glad to hear you were well looked after by the Urban team. Its seems you were in one of our
King Deluxe rooms - these are my favourite also, great views of the city.

Shame you didnt get a chance to check out Mavis Browns, it definitely is the new kid on the block and has a great vibe most nights with live music and a great tapas menu...a MUST for your next stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Reviewed June 16, 2014

This is what it says on the tin, a small, boutique hotel with no frills. The staff were friendly and accommodating, and the place itself was quirky, the rooms clean, but a bit austere. As we were there in winter time, the room was very cold, but the air-conditioning unit helped, once we worked out how to use it! The only complaint was the dawn wakeup from the rubbish/bottle collections, situationed in a row of restaurants there were clearly loads of rubbish to collect, so it started early! As it was a business trip this wasn't a problem as no lie was expected, but for those on s tourist break this would be a really dampener.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

Hi Sue G,

Thank you for your review on your recent stay.

I am glad that you found all staff friendly and accomodating, I will be sure to pass this feedback onto them.

Apologies in regards to the early wake up from the rubbish collection, this is something we are working on with the council to have changed to a later pick up time.

Look forward to welcoming you back for your next business trip.

Reviewed June 15, 2014

Booked the room online at the last minute and it was a mystery hotel deal. Wanted to stay in St Kilda so I could take photos. Very happy it turned out yo be the Urban. Excellent location, free wifi, free sparkling wine (which ended up being Sav Blanc). Lots of cafés and restaurants nearby which was awesome. Loved the local St Kilda pictures in the lift. Would stay here again

Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank aussieboy126
Hotel U, General Manager at Rydges St Kilda, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2014

Hi Simon W,

Glad to hear your last minute mystery get away at Urban was a good one. Fitzroy street definately is a great area in St Kilda as it has so many bars, cafes and restaurants to offer.

Look forward to welcoming you back soon.