“Good little hote close to the beach and restaurants”
Review of Rydges St Kilda

Rydges St Kilda
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in St Kilda
Singapore
“Good little hote close to the beach and restaurants”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

This is a good little hotel that's right in the heart of the action in St Kilda. The room was quite small, but it was a comfortable and functional for what we wanted, which was a hotel close to bars, restaurants (on Fitzroy st and Acland st) and mainly the beach. It's probably not ideal for couples who want to spend alot of time in the room as it's quite squeezy!

The staff were friendly and helpful.

We stayed in a King's size room. Our air-conditioning wasn't working on the first evening and the staff offered to assist us and even offered us to change rooms if it still wasn't working. Our only complaint was that the housekeeping was a bit sloppy (didn't clean our rooms daily, and didn't replenish our water), but only minor.

All in all a comfortable and convenient stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 4th floor and facing away from the road are the quietest.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Hotel U, General Manager at Rydges St Kilda, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Hi Red_Kiera,

Thanks so much for taking the time to review our hotel.

St Kilda is all about the beach, bars and bands so it’s great to hear you experienced our vibrant location for what it’s renowned for and took advantage of our location in the heart of it all.

Glad to hear you had a comfortable stay and we hope to welcome you again next time you visit Melbourne.

James Muscat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Indonesian first
Male
Reviewed January 26, 2014

I chose this hotel because the location was convenient for my needs on a short business trip to Melbourne. When I checked in I was told there was a small problem with the hot water pipes outside my room, to cut a long story short, the problem got worse and I went downstairs the next morning to say I could not stay in the room .. Big shout out to James Muscat, the General Manager for his absolutely outstanding recovery, he helped me personally to move to another room and calm me down. The hotel is pretty cool, amazing location, really terrific staff and nothing is too much trouble, as I found out first hand... I would recommend you book one of the suites and make sure you try the coffee in Hub, the hotel's coffee shop! Thanks again James, it is very easy for guests to jump up and down at the drop of a hat these days but I know if anyone has a problem at Urban Melbourne you will resolve it perfectly.

Room Tip: Book a suite, I think they are called Sweet Urban
1 Thank Narelle M
Hi BFB62,

I certainly remember that issue with the hot water pipes and I was (of course!) more than happy to look after you. Our number one priority is to ensure our guests are as comfortable as possible and having a great experience, so I really appreciate receiving your comments.

I’m so glad you ended up having an enjoyable stay and it was our absolute pleasure to have you stay with us. Look forward to seeing you next time!

Pune, India
Reviewed January 24, 2014

I had an opportunity to stay at this hotel for 3 nights and though it is a relatively small Boutique Hotel, the overall make up and decor is pretty decent and satisfying. Don't get alarmed by the obscure small entrance....You'll feel at home once you are inside......

The fastest and cheapest way to reach this place (something that I found out later) is to take the City line Bus from the Airport (that runs every 10 minutes) and which drops you in the town. Take a tram no. 96 (going to St. Kilda Beach) from across the road and get down at a station Park Street. You'll see the hotel right in front of you. Before boarding the tram, you need to buy a Myki card from any 7x11 store and load a few dollars in the card. On boarding, just swipe the card once. There is another bus Frankston and Penninsula (runs only 3-4 times a day...pl check the timings) that drops you right in front.

There are a variety of food options right next to the hotel and on the Ackland street just round the corner going towards the beach.

The Hotel staff is bubbly and courteous and will guide you through the rest. The best part of the Hotel is the beds........I have not seen such good beds in the best of 5 star hotels and this is a huge plus for those who want a good night's rest after a gruelling journey to Australia.All in all, a great place to stay.

1 Thank ParagSadaphal
Hi ParagSadaphal,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review!

We are so lucky with our location and public transport options, especially with the No. 96 tram going directly to and from the city so quickly. It’s actually quite nice to experience a tram ride if you’re from out of town – it’s so very Melbourne!

We love the amazing food options nearby. I wonder which place was your favourite? Of course, we also love the food on offer at our Hub Café – hope you got a chance to dine there too.

Thanks again for your comments and we hope to welcome you next time you visit Melbourne.

Melbourne
Reviewed January 21, 2014

My partner and I stayed here for 2 nights. We really enjoyed our stay, close to some amazing restaurants, bars, beach and a short tram ride in to the city. Highly recommend eating at Rococo which is a short walk down the road.
We stayed in the Urban Round Room which was very spacious. The bed was very comfortable, shower pressure was excellent, just wish we had time to use the spa! The staff at breakfast were very attentive and the food was amazing. Have even thought about bringing my girlfriends back for breakfast! I can't say enough about our experience here...highly recommend!

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the Urban Round Room...you won't be disappointed!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Hotel U, General Manager at Rydges St Kilda, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Dear Kelila W,

So glad you and your partner loved your stay with us.
We agree with you 100% about our Urban Round Room! It's something a bit different and we think it's pretty fun having a spa in the bedroom!

We would love you to bring your girlfriends back for a delicious breakfast! Please feel free to give me a call if you would like us to arrange something a bit different for you all.

Thank you for your lovely review and I hope to see you at the hotel again soon!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2014

I stayed here for 8 nights so got a good feel for the place. I was in one of their best and biggest rooms, it was nice, the bed was especially large and comfy but its not a suite and none of the rooms have a view so don't expect this. The location is brilliant, close to loads of bars and restaurants and a short walk to the beach. You also get free use of the sea baths which was great. The staff were v nice and helpful, especially the guy from New Zealand who works in the bar. My criticisms are 1- There is a car park behind the hotel and every morning there was loads of crashing noises which i think was the bins being wheeled out. 2- the cleaning staff were a bit hit and miss, sometimes things weren't replenished and the carpets never seemed to be hoovered. 3- The bar was shut Monday and Tuesday. I would expect a hotel bar to be open all week. Overall though i had a great stay.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Abi S,

Thanks for your honest feedback and I'm so pleased you had eight nights to experience everything that St Kilda has to offer!

We absolutely love heading to the St Kilda Sea Baths and we get a lot of positive feedback from our guests about the free use – we think it's pretty cool too.

I'll be sure to pass your comments to our friendly staff, especially Tom who served you at the bar. It's great hanging out at Mavis Brown's and we wish we could be open all the time too!

Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you at our hotel next time you fly all the way over from the UK!

Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

It was a cute hotel, but for the price I paid ($600) for two night, it just wasn't good enough. Spa was small, squashy and dirty. Needed a good clean! Bed was ok. View was fantastic. I could see Melbourne from the 4th floor window. Cafés and bars were just at the door, great for people without children. Beach was walking distance as was luna park. Fantastic location, but just needs a bit of money spent updating and cleaning.

• Stayed January 2014
Dear Discovery001,

Thank you for your review.

I'm so glad to hear you loved our location and your amazing city view! The city is only a short tram ride away from the hotel so hopefully you managed to go for a visit too.

We appreciate your feedback about getting the hotel up to scratch. It just so happens we've almost finished a huge hotel update! Hopefully we have the chance to welcome you again soon so you have the chance to see our new look :)

Perth, Australia
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Stayed here for 5 nights on business, so flying solo. My room, 325, was spacious with plenty of storage for luggage and belongings. My bed was comfortable, it was made up of two single beds joined together, okay for a solo traveller, might be an issue with couples. Only issue I had was on one of the days the glasses weren't changed, minor detail I know, hence the rating wasn't impacted.

I'm a fan of Bircher Muesli and could get it at the hotel restaurant (Hub) each day. It was tastey and the serve was sufficient for me.

I would definitely stay again when travelling solo. However the area of St Kilda is filled with "all sorts" so I'd think twice re family stays.

The Seabath gym access was handy, although I'm a keen-ish swimmer and wasn't able to access the seawater pool there as it was shut for repairs. Handy to know that it's available though.

Room Tip: If a couple, ask to ensure your bed isn't made up of two joined together. The laundromat nearby...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Hotel U, General Manager at Rydges St Kilda, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Hi 11sjw,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

It sounds like you had a very healthy stay with your Bircher muesli and visit to the Seabaths! If you enjoy a healthy brekkie, I would also recommend trying Hub Café's house-made toasted muesli with natural yoghurt, banana & fresh berries – a great start to the working day!

We love our spacious rooms and I'm glad you had plenty of space for your luggage during your five days with us. How nice is it being able to spread out in a hotel room :)

Thanks again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you next time.