“Average”

Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in St Kilda
A TripAdvisor Member
Melbourne
Reviewed October 28, 2010

Dont expect the exceptional when staying at the Novotel St KIlda. The rooms are average, the service is minimal and even though they tell you about the possibility of noise disturbance, their time frame is a little off. I did expect more and dont expect to fit more than one person in their 2 person spa unless you're a child or smaller than average.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
NovotelStKildaGM, General Manager at Novotel Melbourne St Kilda, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2010

Sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your recent stay with us. We do have larger rooms with big spa-tubs also available, please be sure to request one of our Executive King Spa Rooms for your next stay, these rooms also have terrific bay views! I don't quite understand your comment about the timing & noise disturbance, perhaps this was something out of our control on this occasion. Look forward to welcoming you back to St Kilda.

Regards.

General manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,381)

Reviewed October 25, 2010

Stayed here while working in downtown Melbourne (Bourke street) for 3 days. The hotel is nothing spectacular, with good service, but not outstanding. Rooms are comfortable and of good standard, but not plush and opulent. The bathroom layout was a little weird, but of a good clean standard. Breakfast was good with a nice array of healthy options on the buffet. Travelling into town was simple, as the tram to town stops right in front of the hotel. No exceptional restaurants in the area, but good food is available. Location is great for calming walks by the seaside.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
NovotelStKildaGM, General Manager at Novotel Melbourne St Kilda, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2010

Thank you for chosing to stay with us & for your comments on our services, facilities & terific location. It is a nice place to stay overlooking the Bay & only a short trip into to City. We hope you have the opportunity to visit us again in the near future. Regards.

Reviewed October 23, 2010

Due to my experience at this hotel I am very reluctant to consider staying in any Novotel anywhere in the world ever again. I booked in myself and my husband and my elderly parents as we were convening for a family dinner at a nearby restaurant. This is a very expensive hotel so one expects good service. When we arrived at about 5 or 6pm, the check-in experience can be described as off-hand at best, and there appeared to be only two people on duty in the entire hotel. We asked for information about how to walk to the restaurant, which is quite a famous one, and the staff appeared to have no local knowledge at all. The room (we had booked a better than average room) was OK but no more. My parents arrived a little while afterwards, very tired after a difficult journey, and they were ignored by about ten minutes by the one person on reception at that point, who carried on a long phone conversation with someone enquiring about accommodation, without even acknowledging them or asking them to take a seat. They were put into a room with a double bed although I had explicitly ordered a twin room. When I rang down to ask to move them, there was a considerable wait before anyone arrived and they were then taken along to another, smaller, room with again a double bed only. After about another ten minutes they were finally put into a twin room. This was very distressing for them and made us all late for the family dinner.

There are two computers for guest use in the reception area, which is good, but they are White Macs and the keyboards were really dirty. It was disgusting.

In the morning we all met for breakfast and found that there was no coffee available as part of the breakfast cost. The only coffee was from a coffee machine and you had to pay extra for it - from memory it was $4.95. I have never in any hotel anywhere in the world not been given coffee as part of breakfast,. This was really rather outrageous.

Apart from the terrible service and ripping off guests over breakfast coffee, the hotel has a bad feel to it. It feels empty and echoing and altogether is not a nice place to be.

I would advise people never to stay at this hotel. The only problem is that St Kilda does not have many nice places to stay. I hope someone opens somewhere better than the Novotel.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank Ert53
NovotelStKildaGM, General Manager at Novotel Melbourne St Kilda, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2010

I was concerned to hear that we failed to provide you & your family with our usual high standard of service, and that you were not completely satisfied with your overall stay. Please accept my apolgy for the poor recognition provided on arrival & check-in, as well as the incorrect room being allocated for your parents. Although your comments are not positive, we do appreciate your feedback as we work hard to provide excellent service & it is only through your comments that we can monitor where we need further improvement. The Mac Computer Area is cleaned daily, we will double check the keyboards as the may be discoloured as these are white. Our breakfast buffet price is all inclusive with a "fresh bean to cup coffee" machine which serves brewed coffee, we also offer barista made esspreso coffee as another option at an additional charge, I am sorry to hear that this was not explained to you at the time. Clearly we have not been consistent with our hospitality during your stay, please do not hesitate to call me to discuss your concerns personally on 03 9525 5522. Regards.

Reviewed October 22, 2010

Rooms were up to the usual Novotel standard. The restaurant was quite poor, although the food quality was acceptable it was not particularly good. The list contained few wines most of which seemed not to be available.The fitness centre was poor. Dirty and smelly, with 40% of the equipment not working properly

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback. We work hard to provide excellent service & it is only through your comments that we can monitor where we need further improvement. Happy to hear your guest room experience was good, we will also follow up your comments regarding the food quality in the dining room & our wine list. Our Gymnasium is used regularly by our guests & we have a preventative maintenence program for the equipment, I will pass on your feedback to my Chief Engineer who will double check the working condition of our Gym equipment as well as the cleanliness & ventilation of this area. Health & wellbeing is an important for the Novotel brand & we will take into consideration plans to upgrade our Gym in due course. Best regards.

Reviewed October 20, 2010

This hotel is very well located and now offers excellent facilties since its upgrade.

There is problem with the seals around the external windows which needs to be fixed in room 503 as the wind could be heard whistling through this as well as some water from the rain.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo

Thanks for your favourable review, we are pleased to hear you enjoyed our upgraded facilities & our prime beachside location in the heart of St Kilda. We appreciate your feedback regarding the window seal in room 503 & will attend to this ASAP. Hope to see you back at the Novotel in the near future. Regards.

Reviewed October 16, 2010

Rooms terribly out dated, small, walls paper thin, bathroom tiny. We found dirty tissues behind the TV!! Food in restaurant was very nice surprisingly the service on the other hand was terrible - I believe it was under staffed though. Great location for checking out all of StKildas attractions but there are heaps better hotels to stay in than this Novotel. Whilst the room rate was pretty cheap you expect better from Accor places.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank JimmyGeelong
NovotelStKildaGM, General Manager at Novotel Melbourne St Kilda, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2010

Thanks for your review. Yes our location is great for staying in St Kilda & just across the road from the beach. We also have a carpark on site for your convenience. Sorry to hear you were not completey happy with the size of your room & we will follow up on your comments regarding the housekeeping cleanliness. For your next visit may I suggest an upgrade to a superior bayview room for only a few dollars more, these rooms are larger & have terrific views which may be more to your liking. Also appreciated your feedback on our great food & we will work towards continual improvements on our restaurant service. Kind regards.

Reviewed October 3, 2010

My daughter and I stayed at the Novotel, St Kilda for 4 nights. I accidently booked a Queen bed instead of 2 singles. The hotel fixed up my mistake and gave us the 2 single beds we needed.
My gripe was the condition of the room. For $180 a night I thought the room was definitely expensive. The carpet was ripped, grey grout came out of the walls while showering, which had mould in the corners. The toilet often stuck when being flushed. The bathroom door looked someone had kicked it. I had to ask for a bedside light as there was only one and no central lighting in room. The bathroom ceiling had marks all over it. The skirting boards looked like they had not been cleaned in quite some time.
Generally I don't think the room is well maintained.
The staff were lovely, so at least the hotel had that going for it. I think if I paid what I did for a better kept room I would have been happier.
By the way being an Accor member isn't much help. I have stayed there 5 times over the years and have always had a carpark view and never have been upgraded.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
NovotelStKildaGM, General Manager at Novotel Melbourne St Kilda, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2010

It was nice to hear that our staff & location made a positive impression on you during your visit. I was sorry to hear that your room was of a poor standard, due to recent high occupancies there may have been some wear-and -tear to this room. Thanks for letting us know, we will attend to the maintenance issues that you have highlighted ASAP. I have alos noted that you are a return guest & we will do our best to upgrade you on your next stay at Novotel St Kilda.

Kind regards.