“Busy Weekend”

Novotel Melbourne St Kilda
Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in St Kilda
Reviewed June 4, 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank Steve P
Llewellyn W, General Manager at Novotel Melbourne St Kilda, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2014

Reviewed June 1, 2014

We arrived from sunny North Qld last week for a conference that my husband was attending. The family room was very spacious and clean and plenty of room for all of our luggage. The only thing my husband was a bit disappointed about was that we didn't have an ocean view. We were on the other side of the building. Since I booked the room I didn't know that we had an option of this or not. So I would recommend asking if any of the family rooms had ocean views. St Kilda was a great area to be in. The girls and I walked down to Acland St, had a nice hot coffee and wandered around the cafes and shops. Then we decided to get a taxi and head into DFO South Wharf. This is only a short taxi ride and cost approx. $18 each way. Worth it for the shopping!!! St Kilda is a great area - plenty of eateries and when the sun is shining - which it did for 3 out of our 4 days - it is great. Breakfast was included in our package and the buffet breakfast was good. Bacon, eggs, hash browns, mushrooms, sausages etc. Also there was quiet a good variety of bread for toast. Very good stay for families.

Room Tip: We had family room on level 5 - this was at the end of the hotel corridor and very quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank RozMcF
Reviewed May 31, 2014

Our business trip started badly, with fight delays causing our arrival at the hotel to be delayed till about 11:30pm. When we tried to gain access to the hotel the doors from the carpark were locked. We used the intercom to try to alert the front desk of our arrival.....no response.
We tried banging on the door and continued to use the intercom for some time before I eventually pulled out my itinerary and called the hotel on my phone.
"Oh sorry sir, the intercom doesn't work!".....great!
The rooms, while clean are a little dated now and have been renovated a few times by the looks. My room was a weird layout which sort of wrapped around the rear of the building, making it impossible to watch the TV without re-arranging all the furniture.
As per other reviews, yes the elevators are noisy. luckily I was so tired that I slept ok.
The Breakfast is very expensive. I know a lot of people like the idea of a full Buffet breakfast, at the hotel, but this is not my thing. There are a plethora of great breakfast places, within walking distance - Phamish is a standout, and its just down the road towards Acland St.
On the up side - The Gym at the Novotel is Good! and there is a pool. The carpark is large with a good undercover area.
Location wise, you don't get much better, and the tram station is literally right out front.
As for my "Average" rating, well I rated my preferred hotel as "very Good" and I didn't like the Novotel as much.
For those who prefer a Hotel with meals, bar, gym etc. all on the premises, You will probably like this place, if you get the right room.
Look for a room away from the elevator and facing the bay.

Room Tip: Look for a room away from the elevator and facing the bay
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Greg S
Llewellyn W, General Manager at Novotel Melbourne St Kilda, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2014

Greg

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on Trip Advisor. Firstly it is great to hear that our Security measures are working well however in your case, unfortunately too well. Please accept my apologies for the Intercom not working on your arrival and please be assured this has now been rectified.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly on Llewellyn.Wyeth@accor.com on your return visit and I am happy to personally ensure that you enjoy your next visit to us.

Kind Regards

Reviewed May 31, 2014

The hotel is a little on the older side - it definitely has that "seaside hotel" feel, but check in was seamless, the room was spacious and well appointed and the view from the windows straight out onto the bay was superb.
The seafood buffet lunch was especially impressive.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank EJK80
Reviewed May 31, 2014

I've stayed at many Novotels within Australia and have always found them to be consistent and affordable, particularly when I was travelling with family.
The Novotel in St. Kilda has location, location, location going for it, particularly if there on a Sunday morning when the Esplanade Market is on.
The rooms are good - not brilliant but clean and simple. If possible, ask for a room at the front for a view.
The breakfast was very good and the kids chowed down for quite a while on all the food. I've eaten in the restaurant once for a conference and found the food good but not brilliant - what I'd expect at a conference.
Parking is available. Staff are helpful.
In summary, I enjoy staying at the Novotel and will continue to visit but I'm finding the price is becoming a little out of my range for what's on offer. But location is key and Novotels have placed themselves strategically at places across Australia.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Llewellyn W, General Manager at Novotel Melbourne St Kilda, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2014

Go Girl,

Thank you for providing your feedback here on Trip Advisor.

We are in the process of changing our food offering for our conference delegates and believe that the new menu will continue to offer an exceptional quality experience to our guests with a more healthier option.

We do hope we can welcome you back in the near future and please do not hesitate to contact me should you wish to do so.

Yours Sincerely

Reviewed May 30, 2014

I am astounded by the price of this hotel and the services which are extremely poor...the quality of food wow!. I had singapore noodles with coriander, no coriander in sight. The noodles were so dry I had to put hot water on them. They also cant tell the difference between sour dough bread and wholemeal. The outrageous cost of the internet. No information in the rooms of anything near by like restaurants.I am stunned.

• Stayed: May 2014

Mr Green

Thank you for your feedback with regards to your stay. Please accept my sincere apologies that you have not had a great experience.

I am very surprised to read your comments and equally as concerned. Please can you contact me directly on Llewellyn.Wyeth@accor.com so we can discuss in person.

Yours Sincerely

Reviewed May 29, 2014

A king deluxe room with a view of the bay is worth the price. Coffee pot, nice TV, nice big corner bathtub with jets and comfortable bed.
Hallways need updating as they are dingy and old.
Breakfast selection is good. Coffee machines were not working, so no coffee with my meal as I didn't want to mess with it.
Courteous front desk and concierge.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business