We booked Novotel just two days before we arrived at Christmas due to a changed itinerary. It was easy to book online, and price out the rooms. We liked the location of the hotel to St. Kilda beach, however if you are looking for a beach holiday (swim, lay out in sun, heaps or shops close to you along the beach) you'll want to look at outside of Melbourne, I'd highly recommend Lorne or other beach areas along the Great Ocean Road. We wanted a great view in Australia with easy access to city and shops. Location is best part of the hotel.
Tram outside, runs frequently. You'll need to purchase a tram ticket BEFORE you ride (this took effect during our stay, end of December). Not sure where you buy them, at the time the hotel did not have info on this most likely because the change had just occurred. Hotel desk staff were friendly and helpful providing directions and explaining hotel amenities.
Easy walking access to St. Kilda, lots of gelato shops, restaurants, grocery store, 7-11, bottle shop and stores. Handy for all the necessities as we picked up food, snacks, drinks and sim cards all on one street.
During check-in we were offered an upgrade to a Superior room, based on reviews I read here, I decided to change rooms, so I never saw the Standard room. We were on the 6th floor (room 603) with the view you see in the Novotel main trip advisor picture, beach, water and palm trees. Very nice view too bad there's no balconies. The view had great sunsets, so I'd highly recommend this room. We had a king size bed, and a lounge chair plus a chair and an ottoman. The TV is decent size, but the layout is odd, the bed is far from TV so we laid out on the lounge and chair. We enjoyed the room and happy to have upgraded, as the space sounds confining.
The bathroom is clean and a bit modernized, but the spa tub while a spa with jets, was small, and outdated. Parts of the spa jets were peeling off. There's a window with blinds that overlooks the bed, then continues with a larger window facing the beach, a bit strange but I suppose better than a confined bathroom with no windows. Overall the rooms look tired, and I didn't want to try the spa as it didn't look sanitary due to the rusty/peeling spa jets, but the bathroom was clean and no other issues with room.
Coffee and tea are supplied and a mini bar with decent selection of snacks and beverages at reasonable prices.
We ordered room service once for breakfast, it was quick and decent size. Poached eggs on toast, and pancakes. Coffees were delicious, and the cafe is located in the hotel so was easy to get to daily if you didn't order room service. Also ate lunch in bar area, very limited menu and didn't notice any healthy/lite options, just ypical burger, fried food, pizza fare. Didn't cater well to allergies as I am dairy-free, but I know I have a picky diet so I'm never expecting places to cater to me, shame that the pizzas are pre-made as I would have loved one without cheese.
There is a pool, looked clean and tidy and a grassy area next to it with lounges. Wasn't busy when we ventured out, but we figured people left the hotel to enjoy Melbourne.
I'd stay there again for the view if I had to stay in St Kilda, otherwise I'd most likely check out some of the other modern hotels. Oh and worth a mention that the lifts are noticably very fast, you are never waiting around wondering when it will arrive.
There's a shuttle stop outside the hotel but be sure to research shuttles to St Kilda before you arrive in Melbourne as you'll find heaps of shuttles at the airport but only one will take you in that direction. Our cab fare was $60 one-way, and the shuttle to the airport was approx $20 per person.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 4-star Novotel Melbourne St Kilda is the city's premier beachfront hotel. Ideally positioned facing St Kilda beach and surrounded by some of the city's finest attractions, Novotel St Kilda is the perfect escape for the business or leisure traveller. Situated 6km from the city centre and 28km from Melbourne Airport, experience all this unique St Kilda hotel and its cosmopolitan surroundings have to offer from this hotel's prime position on The Esplanade. Novotel Melbourne St Kilda provides a great choice of St Kilda accommodation, offering 211 rooms and suites, many featuring spa baths with spectacular bay view over Port Philip Bay. The Novotel St Kilda can cater for a variety of events including residential conferences, team building exercises, annual meetings and gala dinners. Choose from 12 versatile function spaces for up to 300 delegates. Many of the rooms offer stunning ocean views and outdoor terrace areas for informal networking. Walk to some of Melbourne's finest attractions such as Luna Park, experience the famous Sunday art and craft market on The Esplanade or discover the many shopping options and bustling nightlife on nearby Acland and Fitzroy Streets. If you need to park the car, there is a secure, undercover parking (extra charge), whilst a tram stop at the front door ensures easy and convenient access to Melbourne city centre only six kilometres away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, Booking.com, Expedia, ACCOR, Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Novotel Melbourne St Kilda reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Novotel Melbourne St Kilda Hotel St Kilda
- Accor St Kilda
- Novotel St Kilda
- St Kilda Novotel
- Novotel Melbourne St Kilda Greater Melbourne