“Princely accommodation”
Review of The Prince

The Prince
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in St Kilda
Reviewed May 17, 2014

We were here for a wedding (which was amazing by the way). We stayed in a deluxe room with courtyard views ( not really much to look at) but the room was really spacious. We had friends stay in deluxe rooms but with street/ocean rooms and they weren't as big. I also spent abit of time in the bride's room (superior) whilst getting ready for the wedding and it was really lovely. I was really happy with our court yard room as there was alot of space. The rooms were nicely appointed and I actually really enjoyed it. I'd definitely recommend staying here. It is a little tad on the expensive side (and thought about cheaper hotel options), but I think for a clean, modern hotel with lovely little touches of art, it was worth it over a plain standard hotel room. Also, the breakfast down stairs in the Mexican inspired restaurant was great. We also had lunch provided from there whilst the wedding party were getting ready. I was really impressed with the food we had.
Overall I highly recommend a stay here and are contemplating a weekend here to explore St Kilda (even though I live here, I never venture to St Kilda) and stay again.

Room Tip: I would go the court yard room again just for the space, lets face it- how much time are you going t...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
BizSattler, Public Relations Manager at The Prince, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2014

Hi There

Thank you so much for staying with us recently and taking the time to wrote a review. I am so pleased to hear that the wedding was wonderful - The Deck is such a great space.

We really appreciate your kind feedback regarding the rooms and breakfast also and hope to see you back at the property in the near future.

Reviewed May 5, 2014

Had a wonderful night at the Prince & a celebratory dinner at Circa. Both were wonderful and we will certainly return. Everything went smoothly & without stress from check-in to check-out. Pity the weather was so shocking but it was nice & cosy in room 413. I want one of those showers at home! Loved the decor. The only downside was the couple who decided 4am was a good time to argue in the street outside, but then again it is St Kilda. Also, the heating may need to be looked at - it got a bit chilly overnight.

Room Tip: Room 413 was huge and had a great view from windows & balcony
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Hi Kazwald

thank you for your review. We are really pleased you enjoyed the cozy atmosphere and decor of the property (we have recently had a soft refurb, so pleased you enjoyed it!)

We hope that the weather is better for you next stay and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

kindest

Reviewed March 25, 2014

I booked my room at The Prince on wotif. My key criteria was that it had to be close to the Ironman finish line in Catani Gardens. I didn't want to walk far after the race.
The Prince would have to be the closest hotel to the gardens so I was surprised that I was able to book only a couple of weeks prior to the event.
I have dined at Circa a couple of times so knew what the decor of the hotel was like. The rooms were clean and quite spacious. The bed was comfortable. There was a wedding reception in the venue the night we stayed but once in the room there was very little noise.
Breakfast was included in our rate at the Acland Street Cantina. I can recommend the breakfast tacos, although if you don't like chilli then take them out. They were hot!!
Overall I got exactly what I wanted out of my stay at The Prince and I would recommend to anyone wanting to stay in or around St Kilda.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Hey Dave

thanks so much fir taking the time to review us on trip advisor. I am sp pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found the location convenient!

We really look forward to having you back with us again soon.

Kindest

Reviewed March 8, 2014

I stayed here for work, for the close proximity to our conference venue. It wasn't my choice of hotels, company determined.

The hotel itself is nicely decorated, dark and brooding, and more the boutique style of hotel. You'd love this place if you are into that style of accommodation, that Melbourne is famous for. You can't beat the location - definitely the main reason you would stay here. The room was generous in size, big table allowing me to work and lots of storage. On check in and check out the staff were lovely, very helpful and super friendly, which was a nice touch.

I had mixed experience with room service (I was working late each night, not able to head out) one meal was not so great, the other was lovely (the burger). The in room breakfast option wasn't replaced each night, so I headed out for breakfast each morning. I had one small window, with a view of the other rooms & a roof. Unfortunately I didn't find the bed comfortable & the shower would switch from hot to cold each 30 seconds/minute.

So for me, most of the important bits (room service, bed and shower) didn't really make me want to come back.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
BizSattler, Director of Sales at The Prince, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2014

Hi There

Thanks you so much for taking the time to review The Prince.
We are actually in the process of rolling out new beds throughout the hotel, so I hope that this will address the bed issue for you.

We will certainly pass the room service feedback on to the restaurant for review.

liz

Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

We had a room on the last floor which was among the more expensive ones, it was nice and had a small balcony with a view. It was done with some nice ideas and good taste, a real "design hotel". Unfortunatly the windows were very dirty so the view out was a bit like if it would rain... Another thing which was an absolut no-go was the noise, but we guessed this was just an issue since we were there on a weekend. It was really very loud outside and untill late in the night we could't sleep. I think on weekdays the hotel must be just great and the location is perfect to discover St Kilda with its beach or the great choice of nice restaurants.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Hi There

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review on trip advisor.

We are so pleased that you enjoy the property and am sorry to hear that you had some noise issue on the weekend. We did have a wedding house on that weekend which may have been the issue.

Hopefully we will see you back at The Prince in the near future.

Kind regards

liz

Reviewed February 19, 2014

My husband and I had a quick one night stopover as we were in town for a concert. We have dined in Circa a few times before and based on our amazing dining experiences had high expectations for the hotel. I was concerned about the rooms being noisy especially with a wedding on the night we stayed but I am glad to report the only noise issues we had were when some of the wedding guests thought it would be a great idea to yell to each other down the corridors at the conclusion of the event. We encountered no noise issues from the actual event or from the street. I was pleasantly surprised with the price for parking as it usually costs almost as much as the hotel room to park in a city hotel. The staff on reception were friendly and efficient and even though I didn’t complain about the girls yelling down the corridors, just mentioned it in passing, the guy on reception at check out was mortified and couldn’t apologize enough.
Breakfast was included in the Cantina but no one explained to us what was included until we asked for a juice and we were told that because we had already ordered coffee there would be an extra charge, my suggestion would be to make it a bit clearer to hotel guests what is actually included at breakfast to avoid the awkwardness of these conversations.
For what we paid I think we got great value for money and I would return next time we are in town, it was certainly a cut above other hotels we have stayed in previously in st Kilda.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Hi Sezzza001

Thanks so much for your kind review.

We are so pleased you enjoyed your time with us and look forward to seeing you back here in the near future.

Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

Why stay in a hotel in the CBD when u can stay on St Kilda! I love the location close to the beach with great restaurants and cafe all close by. I had a room on the 4th floor(top) with a balcony. Not a very big room but very comfortable and with a great shower. Fantastic wifi. Staff at reception are very friendly and efficient and help me out for charging my iPhone ( I left my charger behind ) . Breakfast is served in the place next door but if us a bit limited . U can choose only 1 thing from a menu and have only 1 coffee or juice , the second one u need to pay extra but overall is a great place. Ahh bring eat plugs if u are a light sleeper . I was totally jet legged so I didn't mind but there was a big party going on until early hours ...

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank paolok66

Hi There

Thank you so much for you review. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your time at The Prince and the vibrant, beachfront locale of St Kilda

We hope to see you back with us in the near future.