“Two days in Melbourne”

Tolarno Hotel
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in St Kilda
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I mainly went to Melbourne to visit a family friend. I was looking for a reasonably priced hotel near to the city. The hotel itself was good, except the first room I was offered was at the front of the hotel and very noisy. The receptionist did find me a quieter room at the back of the hotel, all be it smaller. I was given vouchers to have breakfast in a nearby restaurant to cover the difference in room tariffs. Personally the area was a complete let down to me, as I did not feel safe going out alone at night. Thankfully I was only there two days, any longer and I would have moved hotels.

Room Tip: Do not take a balcony room situated at the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Lynny51
tolarno, Manager at Tolarno Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

Dear Lynny 51,

Thank you for your recent review.

I’m glad we were able to move you from the balcony to a quieter room for your 2 day stay with us; and that you liked the hotel.

Sometimes it is difficult when guests’ choose rooms on-line, as we are not in a position to assist them with their choice and explain that the balcony rooms can be noisy. As you will see from previous reviews some people really enjoy the balcony experience and others prefer different room styles. We do try to move guests whenever possible if they are not happy, and I was pleased we could move you to a more suitable room.

I’m sorry that you found the area disappointing and felt unsafe at night. It is very diverse in St Kilda, as there are people from all walks of life in the area, and at times, some can be confronting but overall they are quite harmless to the public. It's unfortunate it wasn't for you, but I hope you took a few things from the experience that you can look back on, and feel pleased you tested the water in St Kilda.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

This hotel blends in perfectly with its surrounding area. Fitzroy street is home to quite some lovely bars. Add to that that the waterfront is just a little stroll away and that the tram stops in front of the hotel and you've got yourself a perfect location to spend the night at. We had only reserved for one night. Upon our arrival, we found out that the hotel was fully booked for the next evening, and we were unable to extend our stay with an extra night. The manager spontaneously made some calls for us to check for remaining free rooms in the immediate area. The room itself was clean, the bathroom modern, we could not have asked for more. The artwork in the building were not my taste, but gives a certain identity to the building and livens up the place. All in all, I would definitely reconsider coming back to Tolarno.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Hi Stijn V,

It was great to read your review.

It sounded like you made the most of your time in the area; enjoying the bars, the beach and the many attractions in the area, during your brief stay at Tolarno’s.

We were sorry we couldn’t accommodate you for the additional night when you first stayed with us. However were excited to see you again, six days later, when you booked another night. We love nothing better than having happy repeat customers!

We do hope to see you again if you are visiting Melbourne in the future.

Thanks again for staying with us, and for taking the time to post your review.

Best wishes

Reviewed October 20, 2012

It's tired and way too noisy
I went and bought ear plugs the night I stayed
I was really insulted checking out .. While the manager was out buying the daily papers (9:30) I witnessed a video of the other rooms .. Obviously since I paid through last minute I was given an un renovated room .. Shame really .. This place is best avoided .. No care

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
tolarno, Manager at Tolarno Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Dear Mark S

Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay at Tolarno Hotel.

I was quite concerned with some of the issues you raised in your review, which was why I contacted you directly by telephone, and I appreciate you taking my call.

From our conversation it seems that, in hindsight, a balcony room was not the ideal choice for you, as it overlooks Fitzroy Street, and with that you do hear road and people traffic. Some people love the vibe of Fitzroy Street but others find it’s not for them, and that is a very personal point of view, as you will see from previous reviews on TripAdvisor.

The running images of our hotel rooms and suites, which are screened on our large TV at reception, show all room types – from standard rooms to the penthouse suite. At Tolarno’s no two rooms are alike and it is very subjective as to which rooms people prefer. For example, the balcony rooms have timber floors whilst nearly all other rooms are carpeted. It is not that some rooms are unrenovated, it is more that they have a different look and feel about them.

I believe it’s important to mention, for the benefit of TripAdvisor readers, that we do not discriminate between on-line, last minute bookings, or those that are made directly with the hotel. We allocate rooms to the nominated type on on-line bookings or, if we have the opportunity to discuss room types with callers, we can readily assist with their choice of room. Of course current availability is a factor with any on-line bookings, and it may have been that we only had balcony rooms available when you chose your room type.

I was pleased you acknowledged the review came across as more harsh than you intended, and I hope that in the future we have the opportunity to accommodate you in room that suits you better, and that you have an enjoyable stay with us.

Reviewed August 3, 2012

Myself and a girlfriend decided to stay here last Saturday nite after a Hen's Nite in Fitzroy Street. I have stayed a handful of times now both with my partner and alone and always stay in a balcony room. Has all the things you need including a comy bed but if you're a light sleeper bring ear plugs. Fortunately Im not! . Bathroom is tiny but totally adequate for one's needs but parking has to be in a carpark elsewhere unless you're able to score one of the overnight car parks past Mary St a few blocks behind the hotel. Spoilt for choice as far as eateries in the street but why I keep returning is because I love to people watch from the balcony and you just blend in with the goings on below. If you love St Kilda then you will love the quirky Tolarnos.

Room Tip: If you really have to get some sleep don't get a balcony room.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
tolarno, Manager at Tolarno Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2012

Hi Shala M,

We couldn’t hope for a better description of our intentions with the balcony rooms! They are a great space to have a drink and watch Fitzroy Street and the eclectic and lively nightlife from the comfort of your room. Coupled with the artwork and personable staff, we hope to provide a unique and memorable stay.
Thank you for your feedback, we really appreciate it.

Best wishes,
Orlando

Reviewed August 1, 2012

very much enjoyed our stay at the Tolarno. Great location, great restaurant downstairs, very friendly and helpful staff and we loved the uniqueness of the place, Our balcony room was excellent and we liked seeing the action on the street from the comfort of our bed !
very clean and comfortable, highly recommended

Room Tip: the balcony rooms front the street (we had the HOT of hotel on our balcony) so one side of the room...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you Babushka 098!

I’m glad you enjoyed your stay and appreciated what we offer, which we’d like to think of as a friendly and community-minded alternative to the often faceless, beige, hotel experience. We pride ourselves on being a colourful and edgy hotel full of art and full of vibrancy.

We’re very glad you got into the Tolarno spirit!

Orlando

Reviewed July 9, 2012

I would stay here again. It is clean, centrally located in St Kilda with a tram-stop right outside and beautifully decorated (if that's your thing, I thought it wasn't until I stayed here and appreciated the artworks and bright décor.). I felt very comfortable here and was very happy with the helpful, friendly staff.
The rooms were well stocked with the necessities and very clean.
The local area is jam-packed with excellent café's, restaurants and entertainment.
The vouchers for two local restaurants issued on check-in were a real bonus which improved the value.

Room Tip: I am a very light sleeper and found the balcony room over Fitzroy St to me too noisy and bright to g...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
tolarno, Manager at Tolarno Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2012

Hi JaiDeeHawk,

I was very glad to hear you enjoyed your recent visit at Tolarno’s and you would choose to stay with us again – we love nothing better than having happy repeat guests!

Thank you for taking the time to post your comprehensive review. It was very nice to read your appreciation for the artwork, and unique atmosphere Tolarno’s offers, not to mention the friendly service provided by our staff.

Whenever possible we will move guests if there is an issue, such as noise, or the brightness in a balcony room. It was good you mentioned this to staff and they were able to provide you with a room in a quieter section of the hotel that suited you well.

The packages we have been offering lately with the vouchers for 2 local cafes, Miss Jackson and The Pelican, have been very popular and do offer great value.

We’ll look forward to seeing you again when you visit St Kilda next.

Thanks again for your post.

Cheers

Reviewed July 1, 2012

I have stayed at the Tolarno a few times now. It's in a great location and the rooms are fitted with great furnishings and I just love the art work! The coffee from the cafe is great and I'm not easy to please with coffee. I will recommend to friends this is a great hotel for the price and location.

Room Tip: Balcony suites are great!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lovetravelno9

Hello lovetravelno9,

Thank you for your continued support at Tolarno Hotel and highly recommending us.

You have pointed out some key features of Tolarno’s – our location, value, the artwork, and Mirka’s restaurant. It’s always lovely to hear from a satisfied regular guest & I’m glad you enjoyed your balcony room. Looking forward to seeing you back at Tolarno’s on your next trip to Melbourne.

Best wishes,