“cozy and relaxed atmosphere”
Review of Fitzrovia

Fitzrovia
Ranked #2 of 297 Restaurants in St Kilda
Cuisines: European, Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Overlooking Albert park and breathtaking city views, Fitzrovia has pride of place in our beautiful Federation mansion house with pressed tin ceilings, hand-made brick work, stained glass, baltic pine floors and a host of wonderful original features. From 7am through till late at night, our kitchen produces some of the area's most innovative dishes, made entirely from local Victorian produce, with a strong European style. Our menus change regularly with the seasons, so take a look at our website to see what we are doing!
Reviewed January 11, 2013

This small neighborhood restaurant and bar is relaxed, cozy and so friendly. The food portions were much, other than in Europe! the steak was so delicious, so was the chicken. I couldn't resist the temptation of the dessert!

I would definitely eat there if I were in the city again!

In spite of the fact that, there was some loud inside, we moved outside, which was relaxed and fresh.

The smokers are not supposed to smoke inside, it's prohibited in Australia but here they did and the staff were so polite to ask them to smoke outside.

Don't expect 'fine dine' here, just a relaxed and friendly atmosphere and very good food!

There are newer reviews for Fitzrovia

Reviewed January 9, 2013

Upon my very first visit I felt that I had finally found my home neighborhood cafe. Fitzrovia is a simply lovely restaurant. I try to come once a week, and I still have to pause by the epic dessert and sandwich display as you enter the front door : D

On weekends I often crave walking up the street to Fitz for breakfast or lunch. The coffee is (my personal favourite) St Ali, so it's always smooth and high-quality espresso.

Highlights from the menu include:
-- haloumi & zucchini fritters that are paired with the most wonderful cauliflower salad and poached eggs
-- the daily tart, which is always vegetarian, innovative and delicious (think pumpkin/leek/taleggio or chipotle/mozzarella/cauliflower).
-- polenta chips with truffle oil (superb!)
-- house made tomato chutney/relish
-- any muffin!
-- steak sandwich.. though not from personal experience, as a vegetarian, but apparently numerous friends have been converted to this dish that is basically manna from heaven.
-- the ever rotating cake/slice/dessert display

From 3-6pm Fitzrovia serves afternoon snacks and is often a perfect time to relax and hang out, especially in the courtyard. I've only been here for dinner once, but after six the restaurant vibe turns cozy and intimate.
Being Melbs, well yes it does tend to get packed during weekend prime time from 11am-1pm, as does anywhere.

The service is friendly, competent and what more could I ask than a hug from the owner as I walk in (aww) to complement my fantastic, seasonal food. I love this place to bits!!

(PS -- shout outs go to Emma, our fave waitress, Declan, who rocks the barista bar, and Danielle -- who sadly had to return to Canada)

Reviewed January 3, 2013

After enjoying a tasty meal last evening at Fitzrovia, our fast-moving waiter seemed overjoyed to announce loudly at our table that my card had been declined. No worries mate that this was an extremely embarrassing situation, the waiter could care less.

While I was speechless, my husband announced that the credit card was a chip card. Well then "you'd better come up to the cash", he said grudgingly with no apology. I trotted along. and felt like I was being led to the kitchen to wash dishes since I couldn't pay the bill.

After entering my PIN number , the bill is paid and this is one time that I'm not pleased that it's not customary to tip in Australia. I would have liked to leave no tip but I suppose that custom makes sense in view of that being what the service was worth.

I'm amazed that there are servers in the world that obviously don't know a chip credit card from their left toe. While speaking with a friend on the phone at lunch in CBD today, a neighbouring diner overheard my PIN number credit card story. After almost choking on his sandwich, he shook his head and asked at which restaurant this farce had happened. Fitzrovia, I said and since he did live in Melbourne, I think he"ll be able to "dine out" on that story for a while.

3  Thank librarygirrrl
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Being from Sydney, I was taken to this restaurant and recommended the steak sandwich. While on the pricey side, I have to say it was the best steak sandwich I have ever eaten. (and being a pork chop I have eaten a few!)
To the point that I had to return to Melbourne for another trip and made sure there was an allocated spot to go and have another one. Now the bit that I messed up was the steak sandwich is only served up to dinner time. So I begged and the owner got the kitchen to make it, for me and a mate who was also visiting from Sydney. He also agreed it was the best.
the chipotle mayo has enough chilli to give it a bite but not distract from the flavour. The combination of the tomato relish and rare cooked beef create an amazing succulence. its too big to eat with hands, and if you manage to eat it, then good luck finishing the beef cut chips. The beer they recommended to accompany it was a perfect complement. Service was amazing. Friendly and very very helpful. I will continue to make special effort to get there every time I go to Melbourne. Cant recommend it highly enough. (and my photo does not do it justice)

Reviewed December 27, 2012

What a great find on Fitzroy Street. Open and airy entrance, filled with fresh local produce and staffed by a friendly genuine host who couldn't do more to make us feel at home. We have been staying on hols for Xmas and have returned here 4 times in 2 weeks for coffee, brunch, lunch and dinner. I was only sorry we couldn't eat there on Xmas day. Lunch menu is light, modern and well delivered but the evening menu is where it comes into Its own with incredibly thoughtful and well constructed dishes.

This restaurant may well be local, but I'd recommend anyone from Melbourne to come check it out. A special mention should go to co-owner Marco for being so charming, recognising us on each visit and remembering those thoughtful touches such as how I like my coffee.

1  Thank joannahm