“Beef cheek chili”

Cuisines: Mexican, South American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 18, 2014

This was the best Mexican I've ever had, the beef cheek chili was so soft to eat, just excellent food.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

I have drive by Newmarket a thousand times giving only the occasional curious glance. Like many things in Melbourne, the exterior doesn't give away what lies behind an innocuous facade.
I went with a few friends on an whim, and I'm glad I did - Newmarket is not just serving up great food, but good drinks as well, all in a fantastic atmosphere. Upon entry I was surprised to find a very large open area, with inside and outside seating. We had a couple of drinks while sitting outside, and then were seated for dinner. The menu was more than I could take in, and that seemed to be the case with everyone in our group. With so many choices boggling our minds, we just left it to the waiter to choose some things for us to share. We had quite a variety, and most everything was very good. The soft shell crab tacos were unexpected, and really good. The only thing that was not a hit with our group was the duck. It came as our last main dish, and maybe we were just full from everything else, but I'd give it a pass anyway. I can't wait to go back and try the ribs. Definitely worth checking out. Great for groups of friends. It can get pretty loud.

Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

OMG you must try the chocolate cazuela! It absolutely to die for . We went here for coffee and dessert after leaving another really noisy eatery nearby. What a find. Can't wait to go back :-)

Reviewed March 27, 2014

5 friends went here on a saturday night. It was crowded and full of atmosphere. I love the renovation and decor of the Newmarket. The service was efficient and the staff friendly and helpful our waitress understood the menu very well. The food was Mexican fusion and delicious. The slow cooked beef was a stand out dish of the night. Perhaps they could offer some more gluten free dishes. I thoroughly enjoyed my night at the Newmarket and will visit again soon.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

We trekked to this place through a hot summer day in Melbourne on a friend's recommendation and were not disappointed. We were greeted by an architectural masterpiece that served style in spades. Apparently the entire place was recently renovated and the resulting decor is a must see. Nothing to do with Mexico, mind you, but gorgeous nonetheless.

We visited on a very quiet day where we were one of only very few tables. The resulting service was efficient and enjoyable. The Canadian waitress was very friendly.

The food was fantastic, a sort of high-end Mexican fare. Every bite more tasty than the last. There is a plethora of choice that should suit any palate. I don't consider Mexican as a favourite cuisine of mine, but would visit this place again in a heartbeat. Well done.

1  Thank CAN_in_AUS