“Good) hydrotherapy pool... Bad) staff don't control swimming lanes and dirty toilets!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of St Kilda Sea Baths

St Kilda Sea Baths
Ranked #2 of 5 Shopping in St Kilda
Melbourne, Australia
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

Overall, I like the sauna and hydrotherapy pool. If you book 15 sessions if works out good value for money. One annoying issue is that people go into the slow/middle/fast lanes to paddle or to just talk to their friends whilst people are doing swimming lengths around them. Clearly not reading the slow lane/middle lane/ fast lane signs or are just blind!! Wish that staff could see this and actually ask people to move out of the lanes, instead of staring at their clipboard or looking bored. Im not usually the one to complain over trivial matters but this has happened often. Oh and those toilets could do with a scrub but other than that, better than swimming in the dirty sea!

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Leannable

Wagga Wagga, Australia
214 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 323 helpful votes
“Better than Brighton??”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

In response the reviewer who said St Kilda beats Brighton. How??? These baths are overpriced and filthy, and Australian fish and chips superior to uk fish and chips? Sorry I'm an Aussie and that's not true!

3 Thank Sam M
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Bad swimming lessons”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

We have been going to the sea baths for the past year for my 2 year olds swimming lessons. I don't know why we stayed so long, I guess I hoped it would get better.
On numerous occasions our swimming instructor wouldn't show up and the reception didn't bother calling us to let us know. Classes of mums would turn up and they didnt bother to let us know! When enrolling you are made to feel like they are so busy and you're taking up their time, anytime I've sent an email it takes weeks to get a response. When I did get to a lesson my child's name wasn't even on the role, after we had been confirmed!
So disappointing and now after a year of wasted fees and lessons I don't even think my 2 year old is any better off as far as water safety is concerned.
The pool frequently had used band aids and rubbish around the edges and the change rooms are less than satisfactory with a disgusting urine smell very unhygienic. Also I think there are far more chemicals in the pool than need to be, and the temperature is never consistent.
Very disappointing.

4 Thank Stkildamum
Melbourne, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Tepid spa, many signs of uncleanliness, bad staff attitude”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

Having gone to this place many times in the past ten years, I had come to expect better. This time around, the spa was tepid despite the staff's insistence that it was checked on the hour and was 37C... more like 32C. I was in the spa for an hour and a half and it wasn't checked! I couldn't take being in a spa for that long if it was 37 or hotter. The woman who seemed to be tasked with lifeguarding and pool related things was busy on her iPhone for most of the time we were there, and another patron was having a laugh about it as well. We thought she looked drunk. The steam room smells of wet dog, thinly masked by eucalypt scent. The main foyer smells musty, and the mens change room stinks of urine. The fixtures in the pool complex are grimy, and it makes me wonder if this is the kind of state the place was in when it was shut down in years past because of infection. The pool and spa water is so full of chemicals, more than any pool I've ever been in, it makes me wonder if they're spiking it to fend off chronic problems due to lazy cleaning procedures.
My wife and I came to the place to relax after a busy work week, and came from the Northern suburbs to do so. At 9:45, we went into the change rooms and I was out before my wife, who had to wait for a shower to be free. While I was waiting at the exit, the same woman who was on pool/spa/iphone duty tasked herself with asking my wife to take her things and change outside when it was a few minutes after 10:00. As she passed by me on her way to do this, she was saying something that started out "Oh, for f's sake..", and was having a moan about having to stay 5 minutes longer than usual. It just set me off. After sitting in a tepid spa for over an hour, at a cost of $28 plus $8 parking, the last thing I should have to deal with is a rotten attitude like that.
It's obvious that the staff doesn't care about the place other than to get paid for the hours they work. It shows. The quality is rubbish when it should be very high. We had planned on buying multi-passes for the year.. but there's better and cheaper to be had at an average suburban YMCA pool. The amount of chemicals they put in the water here is disgusting, and the appeal of a salt pool is lost.

Visited October 2012
6 Thank Dlux M
Greymouth
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“too hot and too expensive”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

This place is overpriced for a swim when you just want to do some laps for exercise - $13 for 20 minutes. Too hot also - makes uncomfortable and very unenjoyable. Would not recommend.

Visited August 2012