“More than a pleasant surprise”
Review of Mahjong Restaurant

Mahjong Restaurant
Ranked #25 of 297 Restaurants in St Kilda
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

I really like this place functions. The staff are excelent, knowledgeable an do not seem to be the run of the mill students working till the graduate etc. Yum Cha menu is vast and pethaps can be daunting for those not used to Yum Cha. No trolleys here.

Polished concrete floors without a high roof means that large groups can be noisy but it is not bad inside. Wooden tables here are matched with very comfortable chairs. Large windows overllok the park on the other side of Fitzroy St. Steet seating is available for those wanting to brave or enjoy Melbournes weather.

Favorite dishes are the Peking Duck (4 pieces for $19 is a bargain, Footballs and standard prawn dumplings. Chicken feet are smallish and only 3 in a serve. I did spot some roast duck spring rolls which I will try next time :) . Small bottles of soft drink are $4.50 but are not just plonked on a table, but rather poured into a unusual drinking tumbler

Parking is easier at this end of Fitzroy street, so this place has lots of positives and continues to draw me back.

Highly recommended

1  Thank Davidb18
There are newer reviews for Mahjong Restaurant

Reviewed April 9, 2013

I had really enjoyed Mahjong's food and pleasant atmosphere two years ago so took my son. The best thing was the delightful waitress who was pleasant ad efficient but the Yum Cha seemed overpriced and charging $6 for Chinese tea seemed a bit over the top. However what really put me off was the attitude of the manager who had to put the bill through because I had an Entertainment Book card entitling me to 25% off the total price. He couldn't have looked more sour and irritated if he tried. I have only found this attitude once before in WA and it's a big mistake. The Entertainment book gives people the opportunity to try good restaurants they couldn't otherwise afford and word of mouth is the best recommendation a restaurant could have. He should also have been aware that he may have been serving a journalist who has written professionally about many restaurants. Big mistake, young man!!!

Thank Barbara Rebecca... B
Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

Service was prompt, polite & attentive. Meals came out in very little time. Interior & atmosphere are modern, clean & trendy.

It was on the price side, for Yum Cha, and the portions were definitely not generous.

All in all though, the food & the experience were very good. Worth visiting.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

We were a party of 8 and my wife and I dined here for the first time. We arrived first to discover that our reserved table had been given away to someone else but the staff hurriedly prepared a new table for us. The food was excellent and even though one of the dishes we had ordered was forgotten it arrived soon after we reminded them. We will definitely try again.

Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

I like this place. The food is very good, it's a nice big dining area that new and clean
And the staff seem very friendly.
On the down side the service was very very slow and a meal was forgotten. I would give it another go though.