“Something not quite right”

Southgate Motor Inn
Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Shepparton
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We booked this accommodation to break up our trip home.

The room appeared nice as we walked in. But we just were not getting very good vibes about the place. It didn't seem finished. The bathroom had some random panel just stuck on the tiles, it was as if there wasn't enough space for it so they went stuff it, we will just stick it on here - no one would notice. The shower screen was also fastened with sticky tape.

I always like to do a 'bed check' before I get into a bed, wow this was terrible. I don't believe the sheets were clean they were really soft/warn in - not 'crisp' like other hotels.

The area of the hotel is NOT quiet - it is beside a 24hr McDonalds so everyone likes to go there at ridiculous times to get a burger and do burn outs. The person in the room beside us was running her own business with so many knocks on the door during the night.

We got out really early the next day - I didn't sleep. It was a terrible stay, and we have learned our lesson!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 5, 2012

This was a quick overnight stay whilst on a road trip and we booked on-line prior to arriving at Shepparton. Initially I was a little concerned with the 3.5 star rating as in past experience have found the accommodation standards really seems to vary greatly at this rating and can be very 'hit & miss'.
I can honestly say that South Gate Motor Inn was a pleasant experience. Obviously the place has undergone a major renovation and everything was quite new. The room/bathroom all modern, very clean and well presented. The rear of the room had a sliding door opening to a central yard around the pool - lovely!
I thought it was very well priced (but we did book through an online accommodation site so not sure of discount %).
If visiting again, we would be more than happy to stay again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank jaybee88
Reviewed November 14, 2011

stayed for 2 nights, thought it was a bit expensive before getting there but there was a lot on that weekend so put it down to that, plus we were a travelling party of 2 adults and 3 young children. stay was decent enough until we went to pack up prior to leaving and found someone else's clothes in a drawer, along with prescription medication including a bottle of methadone. Told the receptionist who looked on the computer and found out the person who had stayed there, she told the owner who said they would call me 2 days later (still waiting the call!!). The manager rang after a message had been left for him, he had conflicting stories from the receptionist as to who stayed there and in which room!! He was apologetic but it seemed a forced apology and with little empathy for the situation given young children were in a room that had not been cleaned properly, and contained drugs that were dangerous to children. He offered me a free nights stay, but I stated I would not stay there again given the treatment we had received and the contents we had found in the room, when I mentioned I felt the treatment did not reflect the price we had paid he got angry and said this is what it is about money, he then hung up. The matter has gone to further authorities!!

Room Tip: I would not go here again based on the issues we have had