“Quality B&B”
Review of Ardara House B&B

Ardara House B&B
Ranked #1 of 9 Geelong B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Ardara House is a traditional style B&B with an old world charm, quality furnishings, peaceful and homely. Our room was large and well fitted with a good sized private bathroom and the additional bonus of a separate kitchen.
The filling breakfast started with fresh fruit salad, yoghurt and juice followed by muesli/cereal, toast, tea and coffee.
The city centre is an easy walk from Ardara with several of the city's galleries, historical buildings and eateries within the surrounding blocks. The waterfront is a short drive away and the coastal towns of Queenscliff and Torquay (Bell's Beach) within easy reach.
Our host Maureen was very welcoming and hospitable and was a wealth of knowledge about the area.
This is a great B&B and well worth the stay. The only thing that could have made it better was if the open fire in the guest lounge had been fired up. The house was warm enough (aircon and electric blankets) but the ambiance of an open fire on a cold night can't be beaten.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Due to the kind hospitality of Maureen and Owen, I had the pleasure of producing a short film for my yr 12 media production at the Adara House B & B! The location was perfect and the house was a treat! The rooms provided a warm "homely" vibe, embellished with antique furniture, each piece beautifully contained, placed and presented. Maureen and Owen made myself and my actress feel right at home, welcoming us to help ourselves to cups of tea/coffee as soon as we arrived. A house with rich history, once the home to Geelongs pride and joy, the cats footy team! The lighting was delicate, each room fitted with a perfect sized en suite to suit! I can not thank this delightful couple enough for having us come into their house at no expense, providing their local community members with a helping hand! :)

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I needed accommodation at short notice while hubby was in hospital. I found Ardara on the hospital website and thankfully Maureen had a single room for me for a couple of nights. Just what I needed - a warm welcome, a small, warm & clean room, comfortable single bed and adjacent bathroom, and a breakfast of tea, juice, fresh fruit, cereals and toast - all at a great price.

What makes Ardara better than average is that it is within walking distance of the Geelong city centre, St John of God Hospital and West Geelong shops (for good chinese takeaway). I appreciated the cosy, comfortable guest lounge after a long stressful day and a good friendly chat with Maureen and Owen in the morning.

The only issue I had was that on the first night my room was too warm and I couldn't find the thermostat to turn the heater off so didn't sleep well.

Room Tip: The rooms at the rear are quieter; and the AC thermostat is in the bookshelf in the hall.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Sue T
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I stayed at Ardara house from 14 May for a week due to work attachment at Geelong. I enjoyed the peace and tranquaillity of the house and its surroundings. It is situated near to train station and city, which is convenient for me to walk to my workplace every day. The house is beautiful and comfortable,with all essential facilities. What I appreciate most is the heater and electric blanket on the bed, which provides warmth and comfort during winter! Additionally, you could have a glimpse of the seaview when you sit in the kitchen on a clear day.
I enjoyed the bowl of fruit salad prepared by Maureen every morning. She is warm and friendly and engaging you with great conversations during breakfasts.
This B & B is recommended for families and couples as it is spacious and yet private- each room is ensuite. Individuals who prefer quiet environment would find this house a gem, especially good for personal retreats!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Last weekend a few of us from Canberra were visiting Geelong for a friend's wedding. After doing an internet search we decided to stay at Ardara House. It was a good choice as the owners Maureen and Owen were very friendly and the style and layout of the house made you feel like you were on holidays in Ireland, so it was a nice holiday within a holiday!

When you arrive, you are made to feel at home and enjoy a home-like stay. The owners live in their own home and so the B&B (with 7 rooms) is available for the guests to enjoy. There is a nice sitting room at the front (with plenty of books and magazines) and a pleasant kitchen and outoor area that you can use.

I recommend that anyone visiting Geelong have a chat with Maureen and Owen to discuss availability and have a look at the photos on their website - you will enjoy your time there.

Thanks again Maureen and Owen,
cheers Denis.

Room Tip: Have a look on the website for photos of Ardara House.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 31, 2013

The house is welcoming, charming, comfortable and clean. There was a well-appointed kitchen that made us feel very at home and Maureen's fruit salad every morning was so delicious. Lovely shady deck was great for team discussions and tea breaks. Location and proximity to the city was ideal - could either walk or grab a taxi easily. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 12, 2013

My partner and I visited Geelong for two nights in February for my friends wedding. I read the great reviews Ardara had received here on tripadvisor, and the mention that it had Irish owners (which sold me as I am Irish), and hoped they would have a vacancy for us, and was so happy when they did. Maureen was so accomadating and friendly in her emails to me, and nothing was too much trouble for them, even when we notified them that we would be arriving late at night. We were worried we would be keeping them up and would possibly wake the other guests, but Maureen had very considerately left the room keys out for us, and had placed us in the front room, which was very convenient for us. Also safe parking for our rental car was available.

The room was very charming, and we also had an ensuite bathroom and kitchen adjoining our room. After a great night's sleep and lovely shower we were up for our wonderful continental breakfast, and finally met Maureen and Owen. Honestly you could not meet friendlier people! It was lovely chatting with them, and had I not had a wedding to attend I honestly think I might have sat there chatting all day! The location of Ardara was excellent, so close to the train station, easy to walk (even in heels!), which worked out perfectly to catch our train to our friends wedding location.

The next morning was just as lovely! Great breakfast and great conversation! I honestly felt like an adopted family member, and was sad to leave.

My partner and I had a wonderful stay at Ardara, and genuinely hope to return again one day.

Thanks Maureen and Owen, it was a pleasure to meet you.

Sarah and Ben.