“Service with a smile.”

Le Parisien
Ranked #31 of 471 Restaurants in Geelong
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Since 1976, Le Parisien has offered fine food, wines and dedicated service to the Geelong region. Opened by Lorraine and Jean-Paul Temple on the 11th of November 1976, Le Parisien is still run by the Temple family with their children and grandchildren now working in the business. The restaurant relocated to its now iconic waterfront location in 1998. Le Parisien is situated right on Geelong’s Waterfront and gives widespread views of Corio Bay. The building originally being an old boat shed still retains many of its original timber features, the main dining room is full of exposed timber beams and surrounded with large windows. Le Parisien also has a balcony, perfect for those long Sunday lunches in the sun. The main dining room has capacity for seating up to 130 people as well as a full public address system making it perfect for weddings and functions, Le Parisien is also equipped with a private function room with a sit down dining capacity of up to 40 people. Gift vouchers are available in person or by phone order. From May 1st through to the end of September we are open: Wednesday to Saturday lunch and dinner Sunday & Public holidays all day dining Monday & Tuesday all day dining
Reviewed December 7, 2012

Couple of our friends recommended that we give Le Parisien a try with great outcomes we will be returning and becoming regulars. When we arrived it only took second for staff to respond considering that the Restaurant was a very close to 100% capacity.
A young male waiter greeted us and took us to our table in the corner overlooking the bay he offered us drinks and came back with the menus and he arranged a mixed bread plate. After we had put our menus down and talked for a little bit our breads came out and a young female waiter took our orders repeating back the order after we had finished which is a very nice change and reassuring. Our mains came out pretty quickly considering how busy the Restaurant was the young male waiter offered to pour the bottle of wine we had brought from the bar which was nice and relaxing having people service you without lifting a finger. We ordered the Duck and Sirloin steak which both tasted delicious. After we had finished the young male waiter cleared our table and was pretty quick to get back to us with desert menus and an offer off more wine. We ordered the Crème Brule and Crepes Normandi which both were really good and came out very quickly as well. The whole night was a great experience despite some of the other customer on a table next to us being very disruptive. Lovely Polite staff and great food would recommend and take family and friends.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

The 2012 Geelong Sprints have come and gone, and it looks like the event was some sort of success. I hope so, it's the sort of classic car showcase/raceday that Australia needs more of.

Anyway, it's a cold, cold Sunday for December, there are thousands of people milling about the Corio foreshore, unrestricted engines are screaming as cars are launched down the track, and I'm desperate for a decent feed.

All dining options down here appear to be bursting at the seams, with punters queuing for tables, until we stumble on a dining room that is almost empty. It looks good, everyone in our group is keen, so we give it a go.

It quickly becomes apparent why the place is empty - we've obviously lobbed into Geelong's most expensive restaurant. But, what the hell, we're hungry and tired and the restaurant is totally immune from the mayhem outside. It's really quiet, and our table has a great view across the bay.

The upshot is that this place is a mile in front before we even get going. I'm sitting down for the first time in five hours, I've got an ice-cold beer in the claw, and everything doesn't stink of racing fuel - This is as good as it's going to get in Geelong today.

So, on with the show. There were six of us dining, and I think that everyone was pretty satisfied with the outcome. Although the food was bog-standard French bistro fare, it was well executed. My duck was nicely cooked, although the much touted "Grand Marnier" sauce was more like "Grand Minimal" (both in quantity and in its grand marnierishness). Fantastic French Fries, however, saved the day, as these always generate a few extra brownie points from me.

The service was OK, although there was really not much of a challenge here for the staff, given the very small number of diners.

The atmosphere, however, was perfect (especially given the circumstances described in the preamble), and our group had a truly relaxing couple of hours at Le Parisien.

So . . . where's the downside here? All said, I suppose it's only the price, but in this case it's a fatal flaw. These guys are charging too much for the food that's on offer, and they are seriously out of step with the mark-up on their wines. They don't have a bad little wine list, but they are screwing the punters blind on price.

At the end of the day, Le Parisien is let down by the value equation. Maybe they have a semi-captive audience in Geelong and can get away with it, but the fact is that for these prices you would expect much, much more, just an hour up the road, in Melbourne.

So, the best I can stump up for Le Parisien is a 3 rating, even though we had a very pleasant and relaxing Sunday lunch here. Pity.

2  Thank PJW222
Reviewed November 26, 2012

We visited Le Parisien on a quiet Sunday night. Upon arrival a waitress gave us menus and straight away asked us what we would like to drink. She walked away and then a male waiter who never smiled the whole time we were there asked us if we would like to order...we hadn't even had time to open the menu!
I ordered well done steak and it was so dry and tasteless.. thank god for the mustard on the side. A restaurant of this standing should know how to cook steak. My husband walked passed the kitchen to the toilet and said the staff were arguing over another customers order. The manager had to tell the male waiter to ask if we wanted more drinks and there was lucky to be four tables of people in that night. I ordered dessert so we weren't walking out of there within an hour of arriving.
I feel this restaurant really is resting on its laurels which is a shame as we had been there with friends a few years earlier and the food and atmosphere was lovely...not this time though.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

We used to live a short walk from the original and its a bit like history to come back every now and then over perhaps forty or my father thinks 50 years and enjoy the quality of seafood and service. The outlook over the water is probably the best in Geelong. For lunch noone ordered the signature seafood platter. I really enjoyed the seafood casserole which I think to have the scallops just done beautifully and the sauce well thickened is something not many reasaurants have on their menu. The oysters pigalle have changed from fully shucked oysters to individual in the shell which was hinted by the individual price offered but my father felt not as good as their previous offer. Everyone enjoyed their meals and I'm sure you could take the fussiest person you wanted to impress or just enjoy their company. I did ask the waitress if the oysters Pigalle were named after the part of Paris where the raunchy Moulon Rouge and sex trade flourish to which she answered I don't know I'm not French.. I'm sure the french owner could inform his staff.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

to celebrate my mothers birthday we enjoyed a great night out, fine food, terrific location and top service. thanks a great night.