“good value if you get a mystery deal”
Review of Rydges Geelong

Rydges Geelong
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Geelong
melbourne
“good value if you get a mystery deal”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

we got a great mystery deal on wotif.com so instead of paying $175 we paid $105. great result! it is which next to some building works being done (hence the low price). this hotel looks awful from the outside but the rooms are pretty decent. very large, modern. receptionist was fantastic. breakfast not so. dont worry about the facade...its actually ok inside. the pool area needs to be ripped apart in my opinion. its awful!

Room Tip: ask for a room high up overlooking the bay
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Korean first
Trinity Beach, Australia
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Another great stay in Geelong. Central to family for visiting, a short walk into the city and shopping and peaceful rooms with all the mod cons.
I pre booked on the accor website as I have membership, be the girls at reception were slightly confused why i had paid a bond for my accomodation. I found on check out that after using the mini bar and having breakfast, i only needed to pay $3 extra on top of what I'd already paid. Slightly confusing. Did I pay to much for my advance purchase room price or what??? Still bamboozled. Maybe Accor need to fix their booking system.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I stayed one night at this hotel and overall was pleased. My room on the third floor was spacious, the breakfast was delicious and reception staff were stretched but pleasant.
My only complaint is the outrageous expense of the Wi-fi. In order to watch a program on ABC iview, I had to request more download capacity than the standard $10 for two hours. I expected to pay an extra $10 or so. I was stunned to be told that my Internet bill was $76. I used it for 2 hours, not two months.
The receptionist told me that the hotel had no control over the cost because the service is out-sourced to an external provider. I refused to pay $76 and she offered to split the cost. Still outrageous but Something. We both wanted to avoid a lengthy scene at the busy check-out time.
This is outright robbery. Please provide free Internet access as most hotels and every corner cafe do these days.
Air-conditioning very noisy. Needs an overhaul.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
MERCUREGEELONGGM, General Manager at Rydges Geelong, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Katie O.

Thank you for your visit to the Mercure Geelong.

While it was nice to read that overall you were happy with your stay, I apologise that you were concerned with your experience with the internet.

Internet in certainly a fast moving and changing landscape and while we are not in a position to change our current arrangements, feedback such as yours will assist us with the decision making process in the future.

I am happy to advise that many guests enjoy the convenience of the free 30 minute internet we offer in the lobby and restaurant.

Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back to the Mercure in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Phil O’Brien
Dartmouth, Canada
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Central spot, easy walk from the train station which is why we picked it. Room was spacious and clean, pretty basic but they had given us a top floor room with a view to the Bay which was great! We had only paid for a basic room without the Bay view so they may have been a bit quiet but the upgrade was very much appreciated. When checking out received helpful and friendly directions from the front desk person so both in and out I was pleased.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed here one night whilst in Geelong for a wedding. The rooms were spacious and clean. A little on the expensive side though. I booked a triple room, so you would think they would assume there were 3 people staying, but no, we had to pay an extra $44 for the third person. Plus $18 each for two cars. . Together with the $182 for the night, it's an expensive overnight stay, particularly as we are talking about Geelong. I've stayed at much cheaper, better quality hotels in the Melbourne CBD. We had to ask for extra towels (2 towels in a triple room?). Also ran out of teabags and had to get some from friends who were also staying there. However, the reception staff were pleasant, it was quiet, beds comfortable, showers hot. Probably wouldn't stay again, would try to find somewhere cheaper.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
MERCUREGEELONGGM, General Manager at Rydges Geelong, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Shazzcatz.

Thank you for your recent visit to the Mercure Geelong and updating your experience in Trip Advisor.

While it is great to read the positive comments about your stay, I was concerned to read your thoughts about pricing. I am happy advise however that we do have specials and packages available at various times throughout the year and please call anytime for an update on the current offers.

Thanks again Shazzcatz and we hope to see you again soon.

Yours sincerely,

Phil O’Brien
Sydney
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I have stayed here before and I can see that there has been effort to dress the place up but lets face it its a very old building and they have done the best that they can do with it.
Recpetion staff were pleasant and efficient recognised my Platinim status and offered a room upgrade.
Restaraunt staff although very pleasant appearred stretched to deal with the number of patrons

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed February 16, 2013

My wife and I spent 4 days at the Mercure.

This is the second time we’ve stayed here in the past 18 months.

We were in a refurbished standard queen room on the 3rd floor looking out over the hotel entrance. The room was very spacious and clean. It had two double beds, which were very comfy, a work desk, flat screen TV and mini bar.

The bathroom was large and spacious with a walk in shower.

Internet was expensive at $27.90 ($33.00 NZD) per 24hrs. There is complimentary WIFI in the lobby for 30 minutes per device per day. We found this to be a better option and it allowed us to do everything we needed to do on the internet each day.

We had a rental car and once again we didn't use the hotel parking option. We parked on the road outside the hotel, which we would recommend to others otherwise it is $18.00 per night.

All the hotel staff from the reception staff to the cleaning staff were friendly and very helpful.

Overall we had another enjoyable stay at the Mercure and we would happily stay here again