“Hopeless”

Comfort Inn Eastern Sands
Ranked #17 of 19 Hotels in Geelong
Reviewed December 28, 2011

The only thing this place has going for it is its location, near the waterfront in Geelong. But Geelong's not that big, and there are no views here, so I recommend staying elsewhere and walking to the waterfront. I wish I had read these reviews before booking. The rooms are bare minimum standard. They advertise that the rooms are newly refurbished, and I am guessing that was in the '80s. However, my big complaint is that they could not find my booking, which was for $130 a night, and so they charged me $190 (even though I had a printed confirmation of the booking made more than one month in advance), and told me I was lucky they had a room left for me. Convoluted definition of customer service. I felt lucky that I had not booked more than 2 nights. I have taken this up directly with Choice Hotels, and expect to be reimbursed, but it was quite clear to me that there was no point in arguing with the receptionist. I think I recognize him from other reviews.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Clare J

Reviewed October 27, 2011

This was the first hotel we visited on our trip back to Geelong. We wanted something in the CBD. We were told that there were no rooms until after 6pm, but because of the late check in we would get a bay view room at a discount of $145. The man who told us this, was obviously not the manager and acted like a salesman. Giving us a discount at the fishbowl restaurant and saying it was the best hotel etc etc. He was very pushy and we went and looked at two other hotels and then decided the price was too good to pass up for 'such a good room'.
When we got back after 6, the manager advised us that he couldn't give us a bay view room, and so we got a room with a queen and two singles which was unnecessary for a couple. The price was cut to $130, but we were also told that the normal price for bay view rooms was $145 anyway and not a discount anyway.
We ate in the fish bowl restaurant and with the 25% voucher (that they give everyone) it was value for money but I would not stay at this establishment again. Internet was expensive, and there are no spa rooms.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 20, 2011

we booked this motel through Wotif as it was advertised as four star accommodation (four star is defined as 'Exceptionally well appointed establishments with high quality furnishings and offering a high degree of comfort. High standard of presentation and guest services provided.' This place barely rates a 2.
I had requested a downstairs room as my husband has a great deal of difficulty negotiating stairs, however after being 'greeted' by someone who I can only suppose was the manager who talked through a mouthful of food as he was eating his dinner, I was given the keys to an upstairs room. I said that I had requested a downstairs room but was very rudely told that they cant guarantee requests and it was my responsibility to ring the hotel to ensure my request. given that I had made the booking 5 days beforehand, they had plenty of time to consider my request and if they had not been able to fulfil it they could have called me to give me the opportunity to do something else, particularly as this is a disability issue (my husband has a form of muscular dystrophy). It was only when I asked if there was someone who hadnt booked in yet that I could swap with, that they looked - they offered a swap for an extra $40. This hotel is overpriced anyway and I was pretty cranky by this stage - having to pay close to $200 a night for a highly overrated hotel annoyed me further and I declined. When I was assisting my husband up the stairs (20+) steps, a member of staff who had been privy to my conversation with the manager came out to have a look (I can only presume to see if I had been truthful about our situation) but in spite of seeing the obviously slow progress did not offer to help and went back inside.
A simple request for a person with a disability, and their attitude was that it was somehow my fault they didnt meet it!!!!!
The whole place looks like it needs a good scrub, there were boxes of what looked like electric blankets at the top of the stairs, the bed sagged badly in the middle, the decor is very dated and the microwave was filfthy.
We have always used Wotif to book hotels/motels/apartments and never had any issues, including our requests for downstairs rooms - other establishments obviously read these requests.
yes, the location is good, but the staff are rude and uncaring, and the place is highly overrated. Dont bother - book in at the Best Western Geelong Motor Inn where the staff go out of their way to make you feel welcome and the rooms are much cleaner, smarter and comfortable.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 7, 2011

On the eastern edge of the Geelong 'central business district' this place has a nice outlook over the gardens that run down to the yacht club. We chose this place over our usual preference, the Haymarket, because this time we travelled with 17YO daughter and the motel offers rooms with three beds. We needed only to sleep here, not spend any time in the place, and it was perfectly satisfactory with a nice view and generous size room. We had a very pleasant walk to Kardinia Park for the footy game, ate a very good dinner at Bistrot@310 afterwards, and then strolled back to the motel. The only drawback to this place is that being a Saturday night and part of a hotel there was a bit of noise when patrons left the pub - woke us up a couple of times but it wasn't a big deal. Waking up properly to the view of Geelong harbor the next morning was lovely.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 7, 2011

Basic accommodation, but great value for the great location if it's Geelong central your there for. Genuine walking distance to Eastern Beach, the marina, water front recreational area and is located at the very edge of the city centre. Didn't go to the onsite restaurant, but it looked nice and was well attended for dinner. Friendly staff. Clean, basic room. Older CRT TV, and effective but a little noisy heater/aircon. Coffee facilities with a toaster and microwave. Smallish bathroom, but clean with a great shower (no bath). We had a quiet stay even through we overlooked the road.

Room Tip: Some rooms face the sea, could be a nice view