“Amazing food, staff, service and location!”
Review of Baveras - CLOSED

Baveras
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

After visiting Baveras last night after seeing mixed reviews on Tripadvisor, I was delighted to see a menu that was no only inventive but also unique. The location was absolutely stunning and the staff were some of the nicest and hardworking waitstaff I have seen in a long time, definetly not what I am used to seeing in Geelong! My waitress ( I cannot remember her name) was polite, well groomed and had vast knowledge about the menu which was fantastic considering I am allergic to gluten. I would like to thank Baveras staff for catering to my needs and ensuring that my night was one to remember.

I recommend Baveras to anyone wishing to have a great meal in a picturesque location.

There are newer reviews for Baveras

Reviewed January 7, 2013

Baveras has THE location- at the end of a pier, in the heart of Geelong's waterfront. Clean lines and smart decor. Food was bland... beetroot gnocchi read great on the menu but I couldn't taste anything but potato. Salmon salad-messy, too much oil on an oily fish.What I enjoyed the most was the dessert-Apple galette with port and currant ice cream, unfortunately the chocolate delice was rich on rich on more rich... i would come here for the view, coffee and cake.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

This is my first review as I rarely feel that a restaraunt deserves my time and thoughts but was so blown away with Baveras i just had to. We Reserved a table by the window and were told they were never garunteed but always noted. Arrived on a busy sunday afternoon and were greeted by a happy waitress who showed us to our table by the water. I ordered the seafood Linguini and was amazed by the fresh simplicity to the dish. Which was only inhanced by a glass of local savignon blanc (oakdene) as suggested by our waitress. The atmosphere was buzzing and staff attentive and friendly. Desert was a chocolate delice which was to DIE for, Rich and delicious. I usually don't order coffee with the mindset that not alot of places in Geelong can do it right. But Baveras nailed it , great tasting coffee , silky milk with coffee art to boot. Will deffiantly be returning next visit to geelong for the fantastic food, superb views and wonderful staff

1  Thank Susan C
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I've dined in some great locations around Australia and along the Mediteranian, but none are better than this. Thanks again Baveras for yet another fabluous afternoon, ate too much, may have drank too much for an afternoon session but it was just an awesome way to spend time with friends. we all thoroughly loved it, nothing is toom much troble for you staff and as always they made us feel very special and welcome.
Think you're stuck with us for life...

Reviewed January 3, 2013

I visited Bavera's yesterday for the first time. My sister had gone previously and loved it. So we booked for lunch to celebrate my mothers birthday. From the moment we walked in the door the service quality was terrible. I asked the waitress as we were being shown to our seats to store the birthday cake in the fridge. Her response in a gruff tone was "Did they tell you when you booked that there is a $3 per head charge for your cake?" and when I said that I was not advised she said quite sourly "well there is!" I politely said thanks but as the cake itself only cost me $30, I wasn't prepared to pay an extra $36 to have it cut for our party of 12 (I would have happily paid a small fee but more than the actual cake is worth is ridiculous) and from there it only got worse..

We weren't informed about the cheaper menu and it was only because my sister has visited previously that we knew to ask for it. My two grandmothers asked for the fish and the waitress assumed they meant the $35 fish instead of the $20 cheaper menu one that they actually wanted. We weren't aware of this until the meals had been brought out and they didn't want to make a fuss so they just went with it and paid the extra $15 each. This I feel could have easily been avoided if the waitress was paying attention as we all had the cheaper menu on front of us.

Most of us ordered the steak sandwich and when we asked for steak knives as we were all struggling to cut it, we were told by the waitress that "we don't need them." I argued that we did because I wouldn't have gotten out of my seat and came over to her if that was not the case, she then told me that they do not have any available, which is fine but I don't see why this was not said in the first place.

My friend ordered the $38 steak instead of the cheaper menu option specifically because she wanted a bigger meal. The steak came out and the meal was very small and not what I would consider worth $38 but the worst part was that when she was halfway through her meal, she found a caterpillar in her vegetables.. Yes folks, a real freakin caterpillar!! We called the waitress over and her response was simply "oh.." she took the plate and didn't come back with an explanation or anything until about 20 minutes later when we called her over. She then said the manager would apply a discount, I asked her what it would be and her response is that she didn't know.

We asked for the bill at that point because we were all pretty annoyed (don't get me wrong, it's not that there was a caterpillar in the meal because that happens I guess, but it was the quality of service that I was upset with).

When the bill came out I couldn't see any discounts that were applied. I took it to the counter and was told to talk to the manager. I asked the manager what the discount was and she had her guard up straight away and answered shortly that she definitely applied it. So I asked where it was on the bill and how much it was for. She then explained that she took off items equalling half of the steak meal. I said I was annoyed that this was not explained better but also that because my friend was not able to properly enjoy or finish her very small $38 meal that she should not have to pay for the meal at all and that paying $20 for it was still a rip off. She then proceeded to argue with me and it wasn't until I threantened to "tell everyone" about this experience that she finally gave in and took the meal off the bill but also added the items she had already taken off. I was fine with that as that was all I was asking for.

I know some people would have demanded more as our total bill was still over the $300 mark but I left it at that. I wanted to share this simply because if you are like me and rate good service over almost everything else then I suggest you stay away from this place as I was disappointed from the moment I walked in until the moment I left and won't be going again.

1  Thank Ashmeow