“Absolutely horrible” 1 of 5 stars

The Sphinx
Ranked #19 of 24 Hotels in Geelong
“Absolutely horrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

Worst hotel/bistro I have ever been to, the hotel had 4 prices of toilet paper left when I arrived only one knife out of both rooms no forks or clean glasses no kitchen facilities nothing apart from a toaster that didn't work a bar fridge no plates, that was just the hotel, poorly able to support life worse than a back packers Inn... The bistro I ordered a chicken parma as I always eat them where ever I go, it was burnt the chips were soggy and the salad looked and tasted as if it was left out of a fridge for a week... absolute disappointment... I've never been so disappointed in my life, I advise anyone DO NOT COME HERE!!!

• Stayed January 2014
6 Thank lukev2002

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

Some of the earlier reviews on The Sphinx seem a bit harsh. It doesn't advertise itself as 5 Star, nor should it be judged against the upmarket chains.

The Sphinx offers clean, basic accommodation. You kind of get an early feeling from the positioning of a hotel in Geelong that is constructed around a replica of one of the Wonders of the Ancient World that this place is not going to be something from an architectural catalogue.

So, expect basic, clean accommodation. Also expect fittings that would not have been out of place in a yard sale run by The Brady Bunch thirty years ago. Everything works, but a trip to the homeware megabarn for some new furniture every decade or so would be in order.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Matt873
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Stayed their for two nights,the rooms where nice and clean,food was great value for money,obviously a very busy bistro.location was very practical ,only 1 km out of city.will defiantly stay again.i found the staff to be very helpfully and friendly.i noticed they are constructing a golf coarse next door,great sleep,

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Echuca, Victoria, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

The Sphix disappointed our expectations,not at all like the website.My husband discribed it as a mudguard shine on top s--t underneath.At 2.45 arrived,we payed & was told the key would be in the door,got to the room not made up was told to come back in half hour,did that no key in door went back to reception she said"go & see the cleaner,"we did that & still no key so back we went,so finally we got it.
Open the door dust on top of the TV unit,ants as well,phone didn't work,hair on top of the toilet seat,floor looked average on & under the basin dust under it & along the floor to the toilet not clean,a moth sat there the whole time.Every day we asked for the room to be clean/sprayed.
No manager's on weekends to supervise,so asked a worker in the gaming room for complaints form,filled out & still haven't heard back.
It wasn't until I returned home that someone told me about this website,otherwise we wouldn't have stayed there(did ring 6 motel's before we could get a room ,they were the 7th so we took it at the time)
So if you are reading this message PLEASE take it on very good advise & consider what we had to say & have a better stay somewhere else.
As the amount you pay is not worth it,and the health inspectors& OHS factor's about the place should be reported.
Stayed January 2013,traveled with family.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Michelle E

Travelers are raving about these Geelong hotels

Geelong
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Pretty good meal, good for parties.First time I went here it had good food even though had to wait 1 hour for our meals at lunch when it was quiet. This time we waited an hour for our food then the waitress said sorry for the delay it should be on its way in 5 minutes then she came up 5 minutes later and asked what we had ordered and said did you order the lamb? but we had ordered the pasta and the chicken, final time she comes up and says your order was mixed up and wasn't even entered.

She says sorry and that she could take our order again if we wanted to and that's it, So after one hour of waiting for nothing we just left it was a disgrace. We will never go back and will tell everyone not to go here either.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank GourmetGuruGeelong
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012 via mobile

my girlfriend and i went here expecting a simple porterhouse and a beer and the service was appauling. apparently one of the blonde (and i do mean blonde) barmaids had her non existent hearing aid switched off. unable to hear "pot of draught" and"millers" and insisted they have no millers beer despite the fact its in the menu and right behind her. also wasnt even asked how i liked my steak cooked.

love the setting but the service is sub par due to staff who seem devoid of any intelligence.

• Stayed May 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

I like most people who read or write these reviews like the honest feedback that warns us off sub-standard places. But to be fair, this place is considerably better than the reviews here. Which are fairly old. I stayed here for three nights a month ago and was genuinely worried by the reviews before I arrived. But on check-in the staff were great, actually, better than many expensive places.

So i then prepared myself for the scary accomodation that was coming my way!. I put my key in the lock, opened the door and.... smelled fresh paint! Yep this room had been refurbished and was amongst the better motel style rooms in Geelong.

The management here has done a fairly good job to make staying pleasant. I didn't eat here but others i spoke to did and reported that it was not bad at all. If you are looking for top shelf maybe look elsewhere. But The Sphinx does a good job of providing clean, secure and decent accomodaion as part of a good pub. Worth a go. :)

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo