“Rustic Oscar W's”

Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We loved our lunch at Oscar W's. Paying for 4 people worked out to be over $400 so it isn't cheap, but we did have entrée, main and dessert and about 2 non-alcoholic drinks each. We made a reservation well in advance and requested a table as close to the riverside as possible, to which they obliged. We enjoyed great service in terms of attitude & frequency, however they did forget one of our bruschetta plates.

We thoroughly enjoyed our entrees and mains, however the desserts were weird. I'm not sure if one of us actually really loved our desserts. The flavours were there, but as an example, I had the 'Deconstructed Cheesecake' which I honestly reckon is at least half the size of a standard piece of cheesecake, but we paid double for it, and the flavours were so good I wanted at least double what was on the plate. I really liked the décor - it had character, history and a rustic feel to the venue. It is fine dining service, but it is expensive. The question is whether value for money is achieved, and we think for the most part it was, but there were a few little exceptions. If we return to Echuca we would happily eat again at Oscar W's.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

This place has the best location but the poor wasn't that great , not much on the plate mu poor husband left hungry. We had the murry cod which was nice but the sauce was yuk didn't go with it at all. The windows where all open which is nice when looking at thw river but the flies drove us crazy while eating our fish we spent move time shooing the flies then eating. The staff where a bit uo them selves I thought but very keen to keep your glass topped up so you buy more drinks I think. Avarage price for a main meal was around $38.00 and then you would need to add some sides which where $9.00 each for things like beans or potato

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Went there on a beefsteak and burgundy dinner. 5 or 6 all interesting and tasty. Great atmosphere and view of the Murray.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

We were lucky enough to get a table for two overlooking the river when we went there for Sunday lunch. Even though it was a grey wet day in November it was still a beautiful outlook. The restaurant was jam packed and they also had a wedding function to cater for that afternoon so the place was buzzing. Lots of staff were on duty and our waiter was friendly and efficient. There was a slightly long delay between ordering and the entrée arriving but given how busy they were it was acceptable. My partner and I thoroughly enjoyed the meal. The wine list was a reasonable size with a good variety. My only criticism would be that it's a bit on the pricey side so perhaps somewhere you would go for a special occasion rather than a regular dining out experience.

1  Thank justmeok006
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We've eaten at Oscar W's on several occasions over the year, when we've visited Echuca, and it never disappoints.

When I booked the table (it was for a Saturday night) I asked for one overlooking the river, and that's what we got. The atmostphere is wonderful. Service is now top rate, which wasn't the case in the early days. As there were no oysters on the menu, we went straight to the mains. I chose the Murray Cod, which came with Asian vegetables and was superb ($38). while my husband had stir-fry chicken, which he wasn't sure about at first, but declared is delicious when he'd finished. We received complimentary bread.

The price of the bottled wine is what makes Oscar W's expensive. We chose a bottle of SA Pinot Gris ($49), which was at the bottom end of the range. Beer, spirits and even liquors are reasonably priced. Still it was our wedding anniversary and we had a lovely evening.