“Gypsy caravan”

Echuca Gardens
Ranked #5 of 13 Echuca B&B and Inns
“Gypsy caravan”
Reviewed February 28, 2014

We stayed 2 nights, everything was perfect. Kym the owner was helpful and has really made a great venue, nice garden to sit in, everything was neat and well looked after, location was great, easy walk into town and the Port to paddle steamers. The gypsy caravan was not only unique, but everything was provided for a cosy weekend for a couple, we just had our overnight bag. Décor was great, bed comfy, plenty of crockery and decent sized glasses for the bottle of wine we brought. We didn't eat in, but there was a microwave and toaster if we wanted. A nice Hotel round the corner for a decent pub meal was great. In the morning, Tea, coffee, sugar and yummy Anzac/oat biscuits which were either homemade or from a nice bakery, we will definitely be back.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Mildura, Australia
Reviewed February 11, 2014

We made a last minute decision to obtain accommodation at Echuca Gardens so we didn't arrive until 6pm and had to leave at 9am but I wish we'd stayed for longer - we loved it!

Upon arrival we were greeted so warmly by the host who showed us two accommodation choices we were able to pick between - the cottage or the guest house. They were both fantastic! Very clean facilities and comfortable accommodation; plus the surrounding gardens are luscious and welcoming.

We chose the cottage as we didn't require as much space as the guest house provides. There is a small kitchen with all the utensils/crockery necessary. Two bedrooms - both with air conditioning, ensuites and balconies; and one bedroom with a sitting room with TV. We sat and had a drink on the master room balcony with planter boxes around, a roof to shield us from the sunshine, it was so lovely! And there were additional chairs provided - they'd thought of everything!!

On looking through the Guest House, I was blown away by the accommodation provided - the kitchen and loungeroom were huge and had every amenity you could want; we wanted to bring all our friends back there!

The host, Kym, was friendly, helpful and informative. He gave us great local advice on what to see and do and restaurant options - which we took up and were not disappointed!

The best part was the price!! It was soooo reasonable, something you don't see much anymore! We stayed over the Southern 80 weekend when accommodation is at a premium but the cost was still what I consider cheap :-)

The only thing we found is that it's not overly close to the CBD, although its still close to some nearby facilities and things to see.

In all, exceptional accommodation withi great facilities, a friendly host and very reasonable prices. We've already booked my next stay and cannot wait!!

Room Tip: Depending on the size you want, but the manager was very helpful and informative about what suits be...
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Unbeknownst to me and my partner, we booked our weekend away in Echuca during the Southern 80 race weekend which we were told is the busiest weekend on the Echuca calendar. Luckily we were able to secure a Gypsy wagon at the last minute and must say we were very pleased with the service and overall enjoyment of our stay. Despite the busy weekend the Echuca Gardens provided a nice easy going getaway and it really didn't seem like we were in the middle of the peak period at all.

The wagons were quite quaint and cosy, and the owner was kind enough to allow our dog to come with us which made organising our trip even more stress free. The service was more than adequate with the host able to provide us with some good tourist information and the air con was most appreciated as it was over 40 degrees both days we stayed there. The kitchenette provided all we needed for cooking and the hotel was an excellent 2 min walk from the local pub!

For a simple, relaxing getaway, Echaca gardens would be a venue a would recommend to any couple looking for a bit of peace and quiet in the beautiful Echuca.

Reviewed January 28, 2014 via mobile

Having worked in the travel industry, I'm lucky enough to have travelled fairly extensivly. I've checked in and out of many hostels, guest houses, hotels and motels. A few years ago, I took the chance to get out of Melbourne post New Year and booked a gypsy wagon online for 2 nights. I booked online as the rate was cheaper than booking direct with Echuca Gardens. After attempting to contact Echuca Gardens before departing without success, we set of and arrived in Echuca afte 3.5 hrs later. I was met by a person who claimed to be the 'caretaker' manager, who preceded to tell me that there had been a computer 'mix up' and that he did not have a wagon, or any other room, available.
I explained that I had just driven 3.5 hrs and given the time of year, didn't like my chances of finding availability at another hotel/motel. I informed the manager (I term I would apply loosely to this individual) that I was a travel agent and that it was probably not wise to treat any guest, let alone a travel agent, this way as word of mouth advertising is very strong.
He then proceeded to tell me, using a few choice expletives that I will not repeat in this forum, that he didn't care how far I'd driven or who I was.....he didn't have a room for me.
My wife and I then spent the best part of 2 hours driving around Echuca trying to find accommodation for the night. We were able to find basic accommodation for the night and were so disappointed at the appalling behaviour of the manager that we cut out trip short and stayed just the 1 night.
Upon returning to work and thinking that the 'real' owner/manager may have returned, I called Echuca to express my disappointment. Well not only was the 'caretaker' manager still there, his wife was also 'on duty'. Upon asking for the owner, I told them who I was and how unhappy I was. The wife proceeded to tell me how she knew who I was and how I was trying to cause trouble. I was dumbfounded as at this stage, all I wanted to do was to advise the owner of our experience. The husband then took the phone and proceeded to verbally abuse me to such an extent that I actually began laughing. I mean, who treats guests, even ones you've burnt, this way? He used countless expletives and even said if I didn't stop calling (I had called just the once) he would go so far as to come to Melbourne to assault me. I kid you not, I could not make this stuff up.
I never did get to speak with the owner/s of Echuca Gardens and while they are not responsible for what comes out of the mouths of individuals the leave in charge, I would strongly suggest to them that they think a little, no a lot more carefully about who they leave in 'charge' next time they themselves decide to take a holiday.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Rohan S
Kym K, Owner at Echuca Gardens, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
I was somewhat surprised to get this review given that the booking occurred years ago and as such have to rely on memory and some details recorded in my diary.
Rohan had booked one of the gypsy wagons for 2 nights online and after stating that he worked in the travel industry, requested an F.O.C.(Free of Charge) Under normal circumstances I am more than happy to provide such to employees in the industry, but not during peak season (this was first week of January).
At the time I was working in another business on Phillip Island for 4 weeks and had engaged a resident caretaker couple from Tasmania to run Echuca Gardens. Even though I had trained them to use Siteminder (Channel Manager for bookings), they had inadvertently overbooked the wagon for the first night. This is an unfortunate event, but for someone who worked in the travel industry ,Rohan would know it does happen. As with usual industry practise, you try and accommodate your guests as best as you can. The wagon was not available for the first night, but would be the 2nd. Contrary to his claim that they had nowhere to go, under my instructions, Rohan was offered an upgrade to the available 2 bedroom guesthouse for the first night, and could then transfer to the wagon for the second. Not only that, accepting that it was my problem, I instructed that he would have what he originally requested, - an F.O.C. for the 2 nights. Obviously so set on the wagon and being inflexible, he declined the offer.
It is not industry practice to offer different prices to guests according to how they book (online, through an agent or direct), a policy which I adhere to. The claim to book online as "would be cheaper" from a travel agent belies belief! Would he have advised his clients to do the same for it to be cheaper and thereby loose commission?
Admittedly, the caretakers did not meet the level of satisfaction I had expected and were relieved of duties upon my return. They had their own successful business in hospitality for years, but not in accommodation. I apologise for their handling of this matter. However, in their defence, perhaps they were frustrated after trying their best (offering alternative accommodation in the guesthouse) to be met with a resolute no. I was aware of the dissatisfaction at the time, but have to ask why Rohan has chosen to express such now years later. In all these years he could have contacted me, but chosen not to.
Warrnambool, Australia
Reviewed January 26, 2014

This was the first time we had taken our doggy on holiday and we were determined to enjoy ourselves, come what may. In the first half hour, two door handles came off in our hands and the towel rail dropped. We just laughed and enjoyed the moment. But the longer we stayed (we booked for four nights), the more we grew to love the place, with its idiosyncrasies and quaint charm. OK, the rooms may be a bit small and the decor not to everyone's taste, but you don't stay at Echuca Gardens if you want the ubiquitous, same-as-everywhere-else type of accommodation. This was not so much a "stay" as an "experience". The beautifully-tended, palm-filled gardens provided solitude from our noisy kids, while our poodle loved the 10 second race into the state forest, literally just next door. And once we had screwed the door handles back on, everything worked fine, and we had all we needed, including a spotlessly clean and well-stocked kitchen, which meant we saved a lot by not eating out. And talking of economy, it is hard to beat the value-for-money offered by this place, especially as we were allowed to also give our hound access to the much needed air-con, as we chose a fiendishly hot week to visit Echuca. The owner is a man of many parts, having travelled the world and done everything from teaching to music to art to horticulture to photography - the list goes on. Some holidays are long forgotten; we sometimes can't even remember where we stayed. But this one will linger in the memory for a long, long time. So, if you want a tranquil, value-for-money and sometimes out-of-the-ordinary experience, you'll probably enjoy Echuca Gardens: my wife, two kids, dog and I certainly did.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 25, 2014

My partner and I stayed in one of the gypsy wagons and we were both pleasantly surprised. The entirely self-contained wagon was impressively fully equipped with everything we could have possibly needed plus some delicious home made cookies - a lovely touch. It was small but not cramped - the space was very well utilised. I much preferred this to a more expensive classic hotel room. I loved the fun, cheerful decor - it's clear that a lot of effort went into every little detail. It was quiet and peaceful every evening - we were free to come and go without being disturbed. It's in a great location - just a short walk to the port. The owner, Kym supplied us with local tourist information and helpful advice on where to go. I'm really glad I chose this accommodation instead of just another boring characterless hotel - I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lucy L
Reviewed January 25, 2014

We stayed in one of the Gypsy Wagons which was private, comfortable and provided a novel environment for our brief one night stay in Echuca (now wishing we had made it 2 nights). The area is compact, but that is to be expected when sleeping in a wagon. It was roomy enough for us and our little dog. The wagon was cool with the breeze gently blowing through the numerous stain-glass windows (although there is an air-conditioner, if needed). I'm not sure about the other accommodation on the site, but we found the wagon was decorated well and in keeping with a gypsy wagon theme. The bed was firm and comfortable and the bathroom very clean. Our only suggestion is that the person responsible for the cleaning pay a little more attention to detail (e.g., dusting and remove food crumbs left on table). However, this issue did not dampen our experience. I would give it 4 1/2 stars but that option is not available.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple