“Compulsory”

Central Deborah Gold Mine
Ranked #1 of 58 things to do in Bendigo
More attraction details
Owner description: At Central Deborah Gold Mine you will discover more about Bendigo's golden past at a real gold mine that operated during the gold rush boom of the 1900s. Experience what conditions were really like for miners as you are guided through hidden underground tunnels by friendly and knowledgeable guides. Descending to the depths of Bendigo, gold fever strikes visitors on the famous Mine Experience Tour (61m underground), the exciting Underground Adventure Tour (85m underground) and Australia's deepest underground mine tour, Nine Levels of Darkness (228m underground). Central Deborah Gold Mine was named Victoria's Heritage and Cultural Attraction of the Year in 2011, 2012 and 2013.
Reviewed January 30, 2013

To get a feel for Bendigo and its history, this tour is compulsory. Our guide was informative and entertaining. The information was interesting. The tour was well run. The museum at surface level is worth a look.

1  Thank Hansie13
Peter A, General Manager at Central Deborah Gold Mine, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2016

We would like to make it compulsory - but we do welcome anyone to come voluntarily.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

We took the Mine Experience tour which is a one hour underground tour of the mine to a depth of 61 metres. The tour and guide were fantastic. It is a really interesting tour and a unique thing to explore a gold mine in the middle of a city! Daryl was an engaging tour guide and kept us all enthralled and amused as well as making us feel safe, he was obviously looking out for our safety at all times. Above ground is really interesting too and you can pan for gold as well as look around the above ground workings and the interactive displays. The reception staff were very friendly and really helpful. They took my claustrophobia fears seriously and allayed my fears which helped me make the decision to go below ground, something I never thought I could do. I am so glad I did! A fantastic place - I can't recommend it more highly and it was very reasonably priced too. It will appeal to all ages!

2  Thank lap6

Thank you for the must do comment.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

The surface tour is easily covered in 30 to 60 minutes, and presents a range of equipment dating from the mines 1939 to 54 operation. The climb to the ore trolley 'sky walk' provides a suitable panarama over the site and allows you to follow the ore's trip through the stages of extraction.
There is also an opportunity to try your hand at gold panning.

2  Thank FFadden

It is a great cool place to be on a warm summers day.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

My husband and I took our 10 year old son and two of his friends to Bendigo for a weekend away, and this 3 hr Underground Adventure Tour was just simply fantastic! We all put on overalls, hard hats and lights then went down 85 metres underground, crawled up and down ladders between levels, had the opportunity to hold real mining drills and really get a sense of what it's like to work underground. The tour leader was an experienced miner with lots of stories to tell about his work right around Australia! One of the most interesting touring experiences I've ever had especially when trying to find something novel for 3 young boys! Congratualations Central Deborah Gold Mine - keep up the great work!

1  Thank Wendy P

Glad your boys enjoyed it.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I thought I knew a bit about the Australian gold rush and something about mining but this trip down a goldmine highlighted many things I didn't know.
Informative,funny and very interesting.
Great activity if your 8 or 80!

1  Thank SydneyBabs

Thank you for your comments.