“Good for a stop over”

Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Bendigo
Melbourne
“Good for a stop over”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We only stayed one night, and like in some of my reviews I mention you only get one chance to make a first impression.

When I walked in the staff were talking to a lady on the other side of the counter (I believe she worked there) and they all looked at me and went quiet. Rude I am afraid to say.

We were offered a renovated room and agreed on the price. It wasn't until we were checking out that we were told of the discount for RACV members and we couldn't find the card in a hurry.

The room itself is clean as it is new, but sterile. Terrible artwork, and for some reason three business chairs in a row by the TV. I felt like I was in a boardroom not a bedroom.

However it was warm and quiet and I loved the little box thing they slide breakfast into and pick up the tray. The lady that checked us out was friendly, she was cooking breakfast inbetween and coped well.

The location is good for walking into town or the theatre as we did.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Only had time for a one night stay at this motel - more than happy with the service and location - part of a 8 day road trip and the best of all stops on the way. We had a standard room which was very good and everything worked great - location a few minutes walk to city centre and shops will stay there again only longer next time - staff very helpful just an easy stay.

Room Tip: We always like a ground floor room
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 11, 2012

great room, great service! my partner and i stayed for one night, our breakfast was on time nice and hot and tasted fantastic. The room was very clean and spacious. lovely friendly service, the lady at reception was very informative of restaurants and entertainment in the area (short distances to all) prices were very good too, will definitely be coming back again!!

Room Tip: accommodating too all , family, single, couples!
Melbourne
Reviewed October 7, 2012

My review is exactly the same as the one below!! I can't believe it. To be honest the room was quite nice and clean, however, the lady at the front desk was extremely rude!! As the review before, we had turned up early just to find out when we would be able to check in as we had a wedding to go to later on. We were fully prepared to come back later when the room was ready. The lady at reception made us feel like we weren't welcome at all, she didn't give us a chance to say we were just finding out when we could check in. Her attitude was disgusting, and she went on to tell us that 'no hotel will let you in early, I don't know what you're doing here, you'll never get in early anywhere.' I had to bite my tongue not to say last time we showed up at a hotel early we were greeted kindly and even upgraded!
I think management need to seriously look at the training of their front desk staff, making people feel welcome at their hotel is a major part of their job. We were a massive inconvenience to this lady.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
KCromb, Front Office Manager at Best Western Cathedral Motor Inn, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Thank you for your review.
I'm glad that you found your room clean and comfortable.
We pride ourslves on providing a friendly welcome so I am very sorry that you felt on this occassion you did not receive our normal warm welcome.

Please can you contact me with your name and date of stay so I can look into this matter further.

King regards,
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Cannot fault the room in terms of cleanliness and presentation. However was disgusted by the way I was spoken to by reception. I arrived early and asked if the room was ready, being quite prepared to wait if it wasn't. At most motels if you arrive early they are quite happy to let you know that the room is not ready and can you come back later. The lady at this reception felt she needed to give a lecture on how rude it was to arrive early and let me know that she was put out and doing me a favour allowing me to check in early. The way I was spoken to was totally unnessessary when all it would have taken was a simple 'I'm sorry your room is not ready, can you come back later'. Given the many places to stay in town, I won't be going back to this one.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank PJVictoria
KCromb, Manager at Best Western Cathedral Motor Inn, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Hi PJ

Thank you for your review.
I'm glad that you found your room clean and well presented.

We strive to provide a warm and friendly welcome no matter what the time of day, so I am very sorry that you felt on this occassion you did not receive our normal warm welcome.

As I am unable to work out when you stayed with us from your review please can you contact me with your name and date of stay so I can look into this matter further.

King regards,
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I don't think one could do much better than this motel. Our recently refurbished room was large, nicely appointed, well lit, had a nice size TV, and contained everything we wanted apart from a tea towel, and, perhaps, a microwave. There were plenty of teas, coffees, milks, soaps etc. The room looked out over a small park to the large Sacred Heart Cathedral, and the motel is close to the Beechworth Bakery, and easy walking distance to the city. Some rooms face onto the busy main highway, but our room was quiet. Car parking is close by although not immediately adjacent to the rooms, which would be a disadvantage in bad weather. The lady at Reception was friendly and helpful. I understand (after the event!) that some discounts are available. It would have been nice to have been advised of these. A good place to stay!

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your kind comments. I'm so glad you enjoyed the comforts of our newly renovated rooms.
We go out of our way to provide all those little extras to make your stay just that little bit more comfortable. You will be glad to know that I have now placed a tea towel in all rooms!!

Thanks again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best wishes
Sale, Victoria
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Stayed here on the way back from the Mallee to Melbourne. A very clean, comfortable and modern motel. The staff are very friendly and helpful. It is perfectly located to central Bendigo to all restaurants and historic features. The room rates are reasonable and if you are an RACV member you are entitled to a 15% discount i have stayed in Bendigo a number of times and this is the best Motel I have stayed in.

Room Tip: Choose an executive room - only a little extra
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Hi Johnny,

Thank you very much for your kind review.

I'm glad you found our renovated rooms to be value for money and all our staff friendly and helpful.

We look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in Bendigo

Best wishes