“Self-contained apartment is comfortable, clean and well serviced.”

National Hotel Complex
Ranked #19 of 25 Hotels in Bendigo
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Self-contained apartment is comfortable, clean and well serviced.”
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I stayed in the one bedroom apartment for 3 consecutive nights for business. The apartment has a garage with an inside door to access the unit - very welcome in very wet weather. I ate in the Restaurant and had room service. Fantastic pub food and great service. Security is excellent.
Lovely to have a jug of chilled water in 'fridge on arrival. Very good laundry in unit of which I certainly made use. I bumbled my way through wash and dry cycles - a bit hit and miss without instructions. Room service was excellent with all pantry and bathroom items topped up. Lots of towels and pillows provided which I rate highly. Bed was reasonably comfortable.

The apartment was right on the main road, so was noisy. I would request a less noisy one down the back next time - although I'm not sure if they are1 bedroom.

The bathroom was a difficulty for me. It had a deep spa - bath, but with a shower over it. I found it difficult and frankly unsafe, to enter and exit. I repeatedly banged my knee and once, lost my footing. I appreciated the spa, however as I shower much more often - I would have passed on a spa and opted for a walk-in shower. The bathroom too, had appalling lighting - a light over the mirror is an absolute must when there is no or little natural light.

The only other negative I would mention is the lack of a desk/table with power point access for laptops. Most people use them these days - I certainly needed the (Free!) internet access and use of my computer. The table is in the middle of the room so I had my power cord stretched across to the kitchen. While there is a table across a wall - there is no power point access. A point under this bench would have been handy for the iron, too.

The power point is an easy fix, but I'm not sure about the shower!

Over all a comfortable stay, however I may look elsewhere for my next stay coming up soon.

Room Tip: ask for one 'down the back' to reduce traffic noise
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

A reasonable motel that although is quite clean, it is definitely starting to age and is overpriced.
Our room was freezing cold when checking in. Heater took for ever to fire up and cannot be left on when you leave the room. Beds are not very comfortable at all. Bathroom was clean and shower quite good. Found the owner to be unwelcoming and not overly friendly. For the price of the rooms, I would expect something a little more comfortable. However the location is great.

• Stayed June 2013
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Stayed over on the Queen's Birthday weekend with a group on work. Firstly, the bistro at the hotel gets 8/10 for the food, the food was delicious. It might pay to book, we were lucky to get the last table. As for the motel, we were on the ground floor with rooms with single digits. There's two doors, the main one to the car park and one to the pool / bistro. I found the bed comfortable and the room clean. The hot water in the shower took some adjustment. The TV was on the small side. Its on the main road into Bendigo on the left if you're coming from Melbourne very close to the CBD, restaurants & a supermarket.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 8, 2013

DO YOU NEED WORDS???,

We booked for three nights, three night too many, the last night we moved to another Motel at the Nationals expense.

Quality of sleep, Terrible, as an asthmatic the smell of mold was horrible, the second night at 1:am we had water pouring in through ceiling and window frames, it splashed on the bed, we moved the bed.

I then started to have a closer look at the room, and this sis what I found

On close inspection you can see the wall separating from the floor, (bathroom), this possibly

indicates problems with the sub-structure:IE wood root, but more likely the place need re-stumping.

If I was to complain, I would think of misrepresentation in the virtual video tour, and maybe false advertising.

However there are Units shown on the Web site that have recently been built.

Maybe the units we where in are just for 'Barter Card' customers.

I believe, but cannot be 100% sure, the whole place is made of Asbestos.

Either way, it was not suitable to rented out.

List of thinks that didn't work:

1. CLEANER

2. SOME LIGHTS

3. CLEANER

4. SMOKE DETECTOR

5. CLEANER

6. HOT WATER (HAD MIND OF ITS OWN)

7. CLEANER

8. BATTERIES IN TV REMOTE (aren't I petty)

To the owners Credit they, paid for accommodation in another hotel of a three night stay.

And it rained in the Bedroom.

My belief is this set of units are to be refurbished soon...They should not be up for rental until this has occurred.

6 out of 30 photos of problems, uploaded

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Geoff N
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Reviewed May 2, 2013

We have been to Bendigo from Adelaide 3 times and each time we have a meal at The National. I can absolutely recommend the meals in the restaurant. We can not speak highly enough about the quality of the food and the way they are presented is delicious. Our daughter's kis meal of Barramundi was superb quality. The National is on our "must eat there" list when we are in Bendigo, or even just passing through.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Geelong, Australia
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Quality presentation of units, we found these units hand to what our need s were BUT Please upgrade you very small TVs.for the price we paid I would have expected more. Stayed 4 nights and the day we left full cooked breakfast was available. I feel we were as a large group we put the staff under pressure so breakfast was only continental at a pumped up rate, very disappointing at that. location and quality of units good.

Room Tip: Rooms 23 and 24 were good side location
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We stayed here for four nights over Easter, visiting to see the Dragon Festival.
It was an excellent place to stay, quiet and comfortable and with very good meals, both breakfast and dinner. The motel style rooms were a little dark and dated, but very clean and well serviced, with all we needed for a few nights stay. The motel was only a short walk out of the town, with adequate parking.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone considering a short stay in the Bendigo area, where there was so much to do over this busy weekend.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends