“Dissmissive service by a property pretending to be something its not”

Quality Inn Heritage on Lydiard
Ranked #18 of 33 Hotels in Ballarat
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I recently stayed at the Quality Inn Heritage on Lydiard on a work trip. I was in a party of 8 and we were put into three heritage suites and five standard motel rooms at the rear of the property. On check in, I inquired at the front desk if all of the rooms were together. I received the answer - 'more or less'. There was no attempt to explain that no, the rooms weren't together; five were on the 'mezzanine' level (just a posh way of saying the cheap extension out the back) and three were up in the original building (larger, better equipped, I soon found out quieter and generally a MUCH higher standard to the rest of the rooms). Once we checked into our rooms, I quickly asked reception if there was the option for me to upgrade (at my own cost) to a better room. I was told no. I went down to reception. The elderly manager of the property, who was behind the front desk at the time, started to talk with me and then literally stopped mid conversation to take a phone call. He ended our chat by just shaking his head while talking to the other person on the phone. There was no attempt to ask me why I wanted to upgrade, check if I was satisfied with the room etc. If there was a genuine attempt to see if his customer was satisfied, I would have explained that my main concern was that given the location of the room, I was worried that I would not get a good nights rest - a fear that was affirmed in the morning when someone started to clean the glass balconies outside my room VERY early and the door to the smoking area, which was located right outside my room, continually opened and slammed shut (mostly by the workers cleaning the glass) leaving the smell of cigarette smoke creeping into my room. Add to this the sound of bags/cleaners trollies dragging along the tiled corridor...
Poor service and a poor attempt to pass of a hastily and cheaply built extension as 'heritage' and 'quality'. Trust me - stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: INSIST on the 'heritage' rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
caravanaddict, Owner at Quality Inn Heritage on Lydiard, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

I am quite shocked to read your comments and we continually receive positive feedback about our managers and staff. My managers have indicated that upon your group checking in you Enquires with another member of reception who indicated we were fully booked out this night. My senior manager to whom you refer was quite saddened that you had interpreted his answer of the phone as ignoring you but did stae he asked to be pardoned as the phone had rang several times and it is our policy to answer and ask to hold or take a return number and ring them back as you can no doubt appreciated the frustration of non answering of phones. He indicates that he immediately did this at the same time another customer entered reception and you may have misinterpreted this action as you had immediately walked away. He sincerely apologises for the misunderstanding. The cleaners housemaids do not commence work until 9am or after but will relay your comments to them to keep noise to a minimum. The terraced open smoking area near your room is separated by full length window and glass sliding doors which assists in preventing outside noise but probably does cause an echo which is a no win situation. It would appear the sliding door has been left open whilst someone was smoking or alternatively they were illegally smoking in the confined passage. We will ensure non smoking signs are are placed in the passage for the rare person who doesn't use common sense and smokes their. I would indicate that the rear rooms apart from your cleaning incident are by far the quietest area. The rooms including the rear rooms were rated of 41/2 star standard some 18 months ago and we beleive of high standard.
The front rooms are our executive type rooms and I am led to believe that in fact standard rooms only were booked by the group and some members of your party were upgraded. We do appreciate your feedback and will action where able.

There are newer reviews for Quality Inn Heritage on Lydiard

Reviewed March 15, 2013

We discovered this wonderful hotel on the Internet and decided this was the one for us and we were not disappointed. Our room had two windows overlooking the wonderful buildings in Lydiard Street, and it was very very quite, very cool, and no noise from the street and no door closing noises which can be annoying in some hotels. The room had a gas fire, but we were there in extremely hot weather. The rooms were spotless the furniture was great and everything we wanted iincuding dressings gowns and a safe The check in staff were very welcoming and the atmosphere and decor was very attractive and inviting.
The Lane Restaurant where the breakfast is served is only a few steps away, past The George which this hotel is linked to. Meals can be charged back to your room. The Hotel is in a great location and close to the railway station, and has secure car parking facilities. It is close to Sturt Street with all that it offers. Definately will stay there again on our next visit to Ballarat and we recommend the Quality Inn Heritage on Lydiard very highly.

Room Tip: Ask for your requirements and I am sure they can accommodate you.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 11, 2013

The central location was convenient and made it easy for us to not have to use the car too often. The Laneway is only 2 feet and a heartbeat away - and the charge-back facility is very handy.
The staff on check-in were welcoming and pleasant.......... a godsend after spending 4.5 hours in the car on the way there.
Will definitely recommend, and stay again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Although the rooms were modern and not heritage, it is an excellent place to stay. We stayed here 5 nights and were able to securely park the car, and walk to many of Ballarat's dining and drinking locations. As it is linked to the George, breakfast is available in the Lane restaurant, and meals can be charged back to your room. Large rooms, very clean and well equipped. Would recommend this place to short and longer stay visitors.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank coradsl
Reviewed January 17, 2013

The only thing heritage about our room was the name of the hotel, it was a pleasant enough for the money modern box. The overwhelming smell of cheap disinfectant put us off at first but the room was very clean, you have to be pretty nimble to climb into the shower over the bath but the shower was good and the tiny bathroom otherwise adequate.this hotel is in a great location and we appreciated the secure car park. For the money we would stay again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We (family with kids 15/19) stayed for two nights on a recent visit to see Sovereign Hill.

We booked a 2 bedroom apartment and were pleasantly surprised to find a modern, well equipped room behind the old facade.

Service was great, with staff allowing us to park in the secure car park around the back whilst our room was prepared (we arrived early and popped down to Beechworth Bakery for lunch..... Yummo).

The apartment had separate rooms for adults and children, with the 2nd room opened up as required, depending on the booking.

Both rooms had a bathroom, lounge and TV with the master bathroom also having a giant spa bath which was great after walking around the diggings of Sovereign Hill all day.

Convenient to everything Ballarat has to offer, I would recommend this place. The breakfast was a little expensive next door but was delicious (Eggs Benedict and Big Breakfast) with friendly and efficient service.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Gary C
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We stayed here for one night this past week. The motel is located right in the middle of town which is great for the tourist or businessperson. The former bank building has spectacular high ceilings and the rooms are airy and large. Unfortunately the wine bar was closed when we visited but there were plenty of wining and dining options nearby.

There was a spa in the clean bathroom and we actually used it - I generally find motel spas somewhat sad affairs but this was very relaxing and nice.

I probably would have decorated the rooms a little differently - with all that space it's a shame not to have a couch, table and chairs or even a second easy chair to sit next to the gas fire with a glass of wine - but overall the room was very nicely appointed, and the bed was comfortable.

Would happily recommend this establishment.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple