“Disappointed”

The Golden City Hotel
Ranked #29 of 314 Restaurants in Ballarat
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Golden City Hotel, formally known as Geecees, was built in 1856 and originally named the Adelphi Hotel. Since it's first opening the hotel has seen many changes including the transformation to a cafe-bar in December 1996. Overlooking the beautiful tree lined main street of Ballarat, Golden City is renowned for having one of the largest restaurants hosting around 200 tables. We no longer see ourselves as a traditional hotel, but have moved with the times to provide a comfortable, safe environment where persons of any age can enjoy a coffee, wine or beer together with good affordable food available all day. The hotel offers two beautiful event spaces of varying sizes and design and caters for anything from intimate and private gatherings to large celebrations.
Ballarat, Australia
“Disappointed”
Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

I have always been a fan of gee cees. This week I visited there for dinner with my family and I wasn't impressed at all. I ordered grilled trevally and it was so over cooked I couldn't chew it. I ate the vegetables and chips (which were cold) and left the whole piece of fish. When my plate was cleared I told the waitress how the fish was tough and inedible and all she said was 'oh'. I would have liked a sorry or I'll tell the chef. For 25.00 you should expect more. The venue looks great with it's new changes and I will try the food Again but I won't be ordering fish!

• Visited April 2014

Berkeley Vale, New South Wales, Australia
“Huge meals and ice cold beer”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Oh my god, we will definitely return to this place. the meals are great and the beer flows icy cold. The only thing that spoilt the night was the renovations going on but these things need to be done. Can't wait to see the finished product and the best thing of all its a 5 minute walk from Quest Apartments.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank aussieboone
Melbourne, Australia
“Very nice brunch and warm atmosphere.”
Reviewed March 20, 2014

Attended at restaurant and other members of my family tasted differring breakfast dishes, but I ordered a brunch meal of fish tacos. The two fillets of crumbed fish were served on a soft taco (wrap) and added was lettuce, tomato, spices etc. and tasted absolutely magnificent. Finished off with a very nice cappucino. Well recommended.

• Visited March 2014
Port Douglas, Australia
“Great food”
Reviewed March 13, 2014

The golden city must not be mixed up with the Chinese restaurant in town. This place is relaxing and they have just opened up Their dining are in to the street which is Great for people watching. The food is fast and of a high quality. The price ain't too bad either.

• Visited March 2014
mt emu
“Crowded nothing special”
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Only coffee and cake so restricted review. It's a typical pub venue hard floors close crowded tables so noisy. We were here on busy weekend afternoon although it was hot and muggy it was comfortable under the fan. Lemon tart was pleasantly sharp and my friend was happy with her Mars Bar cake coffee was good. Pleasant enough but decor etc lets it down.

Visited March 2014