“Fantastic food and service”

The Golden City Hotel
Ranked #37 of 326 Restaurants in Ballarat
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Golden City Hotel, formally known as Geecees, was built in 1856 and originally named the Adelphi Hotel. Since it's first opening the hotel has seen many changes including the transformation to a cafe-bar in December 1996. Overlooking the beautiful tree lined main street of Ballarat, Golden City is renowned for having one of the largest restaurants hosting around 200 tables. We no longer see ourselves as a traditional hotel, but have moved with the times to provide a comfortable, safe environment where persons of any age can enjoy a coffee, wine or beer together with good affordable food available all day. The hotel offers two beautiful event spaces of varying sizes and design and caters for anything from intimate and private gatherings to large celebrations.
Reviewed September 21, 2012

The meal that my husband and I had at Cee Gee's was amazing. The wait staff were proactive, helpful and friendly. There wasn't a hovering staff member awkwardly waiting as we decided (hurriedly) what to order, I absolutely loved ordering at the bar when I was ready as it takes me forever to order. Nor was there a dirty dish left waiting on a table.

The atmosphere was casual, warm and comfortable (very family friendly). The husband had the thai chicken curry, which he loved as it came with rice, yogurt, nann and some heat. I had a fantastic roast pumpkin salad (which I highly recommend) my only gripe is that it cost $8 to add chicken to my salad, and the $8 of chicken turned out to be four tenderloins which while delicious seemed a little overpriced.

Definately recommend this resturant to everyone! Also the chai lattes served there are amazing and must be tried.

Thank mel.k.carter

Reviewed August 26, 2012

Don't expect fine dining but the portions are big and the pizzas pretty good. Busy, fun and a good location make this a popular place with locals.

Reviewed August 3, 2012

Staff at this restaurant are the most arrogant, ignorant and lazy I have come across in a long time. Even though we had serious issues with the food there is no way we would send anything back to the kitchen, as judging by the attitude of the serving staff, we were in fear of what unspeakable things would happen to the returning plate. My advice is make it one to avoid

Reviewed July 23, 2012

When I first moved to Ballarat I was told GeeCees was the place to go for great food - I'm not sure about other peoples' experience but I have definitely found it to not live up to the expectations I held.

The first time I went there it was for my partner's birthday. After reserving a table in a private area of the restaurant, we were shoved in the middle of the most crowded part of the venue. The service was painfully slow and when we finally received out meals, one was burnt. After asking for a new one, we had to wait ages again for the new plate to arrive. The food was very average.

GeeCees has a massive menu however I'm not sure whether this is a good thing. They seem to be able to make a lot of things average, instead of making a few things well.

There is zero atmosphere as it is very noisy with the wooden floor boards, loud music and drunk people yelling at 7pm on a week night. The service isn’t too bad and the prices are pretty cheap.

I have been to GeeCees on a number of other occasions for friend's functions and have never really had a meal to write home about. The cocktails are good though. I think it’s a great place for young people who want to eat before going out but if you are after something a bit nicer for your money, I would recommend going elsewhere.

2  Thank OzzeeTravla
Reviewed June 30, 2012

We dine here regularly. Whilst the food wont set the world on fire, it is of an excellent and consistent standard. System for ordering and helpful staff make this a great and reliable dinner option for a family.