“Great place to stay in Ballarat”

Best Western Plus Ballarat Suites
Ranked #4 of 33 Hotels in Ballarat
Melbourne, Australia
“Great place to stay in Ballarat”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

We only needed a night in Ballarat and managed to get a 'special'. We had a spa suite and not having the luxury of one at home, really loved using it. The bed was extremely comfortable. If you are wanting to visit Sovereign Hill or to get out to Buninyong or back into Ballarat City, this is the place you should stay at.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Reviewed January 25, 2013

One of the best motels I have stayed in. Rooms are large and nicely furnished. Location also excellent. Bathroom is modern and great having 2 sinks and heat lights. Bed was very comfortable and heating and cooling was great. If you are after a top notch modern hotel to stay in Ballarat then I doubt you can do better than this establishment . We will certainly stay here again next time we visit Ballarat.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Victoria
Reviewed January 23, 2013

A last minute decision to break a very long day on the road had us stay in Ballarat at the Best Western in Main Road. We breathed an enormous sigh as we walked in and saw how restful the room felt - it was very tastefully styled and immaculately clean. We had a restorative sleep and continued our journey after checking out at 10am. The owners were just lovely and we have no hesitation in recommending this motel to others.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 3, 2012

My girlfriend and I did a self drive tour of Victoria - down great ocean road to port fairy, up to the Grampians and last stop at Ballarat before heading back to Melbourne.

Very new rooms with all nice facilities but the negative service really outweighed it for us.

The first hint of a bad start was when we checked in and received our room keys - swipe cards. I travel a bit for work to NZ and I have used them many a time. Swipe on the receiver wait for the green light and open the door.... Well not here.

Problem 1. room keys.....

I went back to the service desk and received a frown as if I did not know how these modern devices operate. questions > Did you swipe it? yes, did you swipe it slowly? yes, maybe you did it too fast? no. anyway after convincing the guy that I knew how to use the card he re-imaged it and it worked. It wasn't so much the stupid questions because I can understand there may be people who have trouble with these things but it was more the look he gave me. Like how dare I come back so soon with a question...

Problem 2.1 Wifi charge...

I unpacked our bags and went to turn on the laptop to look up some places for dinner after a long drive from the Grampians. I had a quick read of the "included" section of my last-minute confirmation and could clearly see internet as part of the executive suite. So I called reception and asked for the password at which point the guy advised me there would be a $5 charge. I went on to explain that on my booking printout it said that internet was included. He was very quick to respond that I had to show it to him to believe it. So I walked up to reception again to receive a look, he was so boastful and confident that he would catch me out snatching the paper from me. Anyway after me pointing to a paragraph on the included items of the room one of them was "high speed internet". After he saw this he accused me of exploiting him on a play on words - but he said hell let me win this time....(extortion at $5 lol) Anyway he gave me a little printout with a username and password.

2.2 Wifi not working!...

So I logged in to the wireless network but had no connectivity. I called the Helpdesk number on the piece of paper - it was outsourced to a third party company. I had to leave a message and the voice-mail advised someone would call me back before 5:30 pm. In the interim I buzzed the service desk but the guy didn't have much of an idea in terms of troubleshooting... he instead gave me a 30 cm ethernet cable so I could try plugging it in the wall socket.

I tried the wall socket and it worked - needless to say with the 30cm cord I had to be so close to the wall with the laptop it was uncomfortable. Anyway the help-desk guy also ended up calling back and he eventually concluded that he suspected the WiFi point closest to our location wasn't working. He wanted to troubleshoot it further but I was happy the wall socket worked so he said he would let the manager know. (we stayed in the downstairs room furthest from reception)

I just think overall the couple that run this have no concept of customer service. I felt unwelcome at place I paid to relax in...

I am sure there are rooms of equal calibre with owners who can appreciate the value of customer service. Spend your $$$ elsewhere

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank laz_zal
Rod S, Manager at Best Western Plus Ballarat Suites, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 29, 2012

Rooms are big and clean. That's the positive part of the review. On the negative side, I have a couple of big ones related to service: 1) I wouldn't say service is friendly. For example, when I called because wifi wasn't working, front desk was too quick to say there was nothing they could do or make excuses, and not enough time trying to figure out the problem. The best suggestion they gave was go to the McDonald's in town, at 10pm! 2) front desk refused to give Best Western rewards points even though I repeatedly checked the T&C online and it was apparent to me my rate qualified. I asked to add the rewards number to the reservation but was refused. That didn’t make sense to me since if the stay didn't qualify the system would know and would not give points. But if it did qualify, then I was right to ask for it and should have been credited. I later contacted BW directly and had the stay credited retroactively. Seems to me the hotel was following a separate policy from that of the BW corporate.

Finally, there was a strange knocked on the door at 9:50am. I was in the process of packing and checking out the room (but still in my underwear). The person who knocked said she thought I had left because there was no car outside. I stuck my head out and my car was clearly visible. Maybe it was just a not so subtle reminder that it was time to check out?

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ctcristo
Melbourne Australia
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Wonderful value! We stayed for one night in an executive room.The room was very spacious, and was extremely well presented and equipped, with everything thought of! The location was convenient, and it was fast and easy to drive into Ballarat for breakfast or dinner.
Very clean, (though there was a strange smell...maybe insecticide?)
The bathroom with double basin and walk in shower was perfect.
Even though we didn't use it, it was good to know we had a microwave.
The king size bed was comfortable, and it was useful to have a sofa and a table and chairs. I wouldn't hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Bairnsdale
Reviewed November 4, 2012

For the second time my husband and I have stayed at this motel - very comfortable, roomy. quiet, and clean. Good eateries within walking distance. King bed, two basin bathroom and very good shower. Convenient to SovereignHill but not within easy walking distance of the central shops. Will be back. (We didn't use the pool or fitness centre but don't know how to mark this in our response so said it was good based on our other experience.

Room Tip: If you desire a very quiet room try the ground floor on the same side as Reception.