“Our new place to stay in Ballarat.”

Comfort Inn & Suites City Views
Ranked #12 of 33 Hotels in Ballarat
Melbourne, Australia
“Our new place to stay in Ballarat.”
Reviewed April 19, 2012

Travelled with my wife and 2 yr old son on a spur of the moment holiday - booked direct with hotel. Stayed in a twin share room for 4 nights. From the outside the hotel, as others have commented, its not that attractive and having read the reviews regarding the darkness of the rooms I was a tad concerned. The intent of this holiday was to spend time in a town which my wife and I enjoy visiting but also just tune out & relax in the hotel room. This objective was admirably met by the Comfort Inn & Suites.

Our room had two queen size beds, a generous cupboard, bar fridge, desk, flatscreen tv, two chairs, a table and the ensuite. Nonetheless we did not feel crowded or cramped, there was still room to move and we never felt crowded. The ensuite had enough room for all 3 of us at the same time if the 2 yr old insisted on making cleaning his teeth a family activity! The furnishings were very comfortable, both beds/mattresses were firm but comfortable. The bar fridge was a slightly bigger one that I've encountered for similar hotel rooms, we were able to store upto 4 1.25 litre softdrink bottles plus other liquids and food stuffs in it comfortably. Usual tea/coffee facilities - large kettle - 8 cups? - and a microwave (which was a nice touch but one we didn't use). One thing that we appreciated was excess of pillows our room was provided with - enough to prop yourself up while watching tv or reading and plenty left over to place on the floor in case the young gentleman rolled over the blocking pillow and ended up on the floor while sleeping (if you weren't paying attention).

As far as the lighting in the room went, our room's windows were east facing so received plenty of sun in the morning but yes if you didn't have the lights on by the afternoon it could be dark. However the lighting was not obtrusive either, there was no central 'main' light instead there were 3 wall mounted lights and two bedside lights - all individually controlled, rarely did we have more than 2 or 3 lights on at any one time in the late afternoon or evening. I did walk past several open rooms during our stay and would suggest that a lack of natural light could be an issue particularly for the ground floor rooms regardless of aspect...

The hotel is located on Bakery Hill just over the road from a range of restaurants, including McDonalds, Nandos and numerous others. Its a 10 minute walk (family-speed) maximum to Lydiard St (the center? of the Ballarat CBD), same, if not less to Supermarkets and it has off street parking. So its location is great, apart from visits to Sovereign Hill and Lake Wendouree we left the car behind and walked.

Suprisingly for a place of this size (21 rooms?) it does run to a indoor, heated pool. We tried it twice, first time it wasn't heated - but they just had the pool person in looking at that and was taking some time to warm up. Second time it was fine for a brief dip, I thought it was nice and warm, my wife thought it was still too cool and my son loved it!

The service received was very good. We arrived early and were able to check in immediately. I had a timing issue of paying for the stay in full and they accomodated me in a friendly manner. At one stage during our stay my wife was juggling a stroller and the 2 yr old and a staff member appeared out of nowhere to assist. Room was cleaned very well each day, until the final day we always had more towels than we actually needed, toiletries were provided & replenished daily (a hit and miss affair in some places I've stayed)

While the hotel offers breakfast and a limited range of meals we never bothered to access due its location to so many other eating facilities.

The main cons would be the exterior appearance (a bit drab), lack of any view - (we had a view of a camping gear carpark and the property backs onto a wasteland used for parking by other tenants) and access to natural light but these are subjective and the importance depends on your reasons for staying. As a recreational base for exploring Ballarat and its environs then this is pretty good.

We've previously stayed, several times, at the Mid-City at Ballarat which also has a great location and offers a conveniant buffet breakfast however for a few dollars more the Comfort Inn & Suites provides a much more comfortable and friendly stay. My wife and myself were impressed and satisfied with our rooms amenities and enjoyed our comfortable stay. Will try for this Hotel on our next stay in Ballarat.

Room Tip: Avoid ground floor rooms if natural light is a concern for you.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank LeonGov
Susan S, Owner at Comfort Inn & Suites City Views, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Dear LeonGov,

Thank you for taking the time to post a wondeful review on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your feedback.

I am glad to hear you found our facitlies and service satisfying, we strive to provide our customers with optimal service and make their time with us as smooth and relaxing as possible.

The front of the property is in need of a spruce and I am looking into brightening it up with some beautiful bold plants to give it a more welcoming feel.

Thank you again for your review, I have passed on your kind words to all staff and I hope to see you again in the near future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Victoria australia
Reviewed March 18, 2012

We found the staff wonderful and very helpful. The motel looked like a converted block of 60's units with covered external stairs. This concerned me as my mother is elderly and there were several trip hazards associated with them. The room was clean and recently refurbished, but lacked character and at $200 a night we expected something more.(Especially after all the good reviews).

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Susan S, Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites City Views, responded to this review, June 17, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our property on Trip Advisor.
I have since passed on your kind words to all the staff and I am happy to hear that you had such positive encounters with our staff.
I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the exterior of the property, the property is in accordance with the theme of historical Ballarat and Bakery Hill however it does have a modern edge. The weekend you came across our property was a peak weekend therefore rates were applied to match surrounding properties.
Thank you again for your review, I am sorry you decided not to stay at our property so you could provide a more accurate review as I am sure you would of had a relaxing experience.
Aussie
Reviewed February 18, 2012

This was my favorite place to stay on my road trip with my boyfriend for finishing year 12 and not wanting to go to schoolies.
The staff were friendly and very helpful with finding fuel for me :P, a nice young family. The receptionist was polite.
The room was clean and very well furnished. I was so glad we were there for two nights.
I would love to go there again ^.^!

• Stayed November 2011
Dear Spannahhh,

Thank you very much for your incredibly kind comments and feedback.

I am so pleased your stay with us was enjoyable and your wonderful experience has prompted you to post the feedback.

Yes, our staff are amazing and nothing is too much trouble for our guests. We believe we have the best staff in Ballarat, so thank you for acknowledging this.

It is only through your feedback and suggestions that we keep improving our product to ensure expectations are met. Thanks again, and we hope to see you again in the future!
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 18, 2011

The staff were very friendly and helpful from the moment we arrived. Our official check in time was after 14.00 but when we arrived early at 11.30, a room was quickly found for us. We stayed on the second floor in a spacious, clean and comfortable room with a good-sized lounge area. The room was decorated to a high standard. There was some traffic noise but this is to be expected in any city centre hotel. The bed was large and comfortable. There was a fridge, tea and coffee making facilities, minibar, flat screen TV and airconditioning. We did not make use of the pool but it looked good!
The central location enabled us to walk into the town centre within a few minutes and allowed us to drive to Sovereign hill in a short time.
We would definately stay again if in the area.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RovingRich
Melbourne
Reviewed November 25, 2011

My husband and I stayed 1 night at the Comfort Inn & Suites in Ballarat in November 2011, We had a luxury suite with spa bath. Very large suite, nice modern decor and exceptionally clean. Breakfast to the room was on time and well presented. Overall a very pleasant stay and I would recommend to anyone visiting the lovely city of Ballarat. This is top class accommodation and I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Generally we ask for a room away from the laundry or anywhere where there may be noise during the ni...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank LizzieMelbourne
Susan S, Owner at Comfort Inn & Suites City Views, responded to this review, December 7, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor.

I am completely thrilled by the fantastic review you have given us and am so happy to read that you enjoyed your time with us. Here at the Comfort Inn & Suites City Views we pride ourselves on making our guests stays as relaxing and enjoyable as possible. In relation to our breakfasts I am proud to inform you that we source the freshest produce from local suppliers to deliver you delicious meals.
Many thanks!
Reviewed November 20, 2011

Beds too hard
Folding bed legs legs broken in middle fell to the floor when sat on it
Dining table leg broken and poor condition
Too many tv channels, u have to flip though repeated tuned Chanel's and takes forever
Loo seat broken, won't stay up
Breakfast delivered with no cultlery on 1st day
Location central though
$200 a night better value else where

• Stayed November 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review our property on Trip Advisor.

I was very sorry to read that you had some issues during your stay with us.
As I am sure you can appreciate bedding is incredibley personal preference and unfortunately there is no mattress that suits all sleeping patterns and preferences.
With incidents relating to your breakfast and table legs we welcome all of our guests to bring this to the reception staff's attention as if we aren't informed we cannot ammend the issue.
WIth our property located so centrally it certainly does have a lot of benefits for our travellers.
Thanks again.
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed November 16, 2011

Spent a night here whilst visiting Sovereign Hill. It's close to the town centre so good for walking around the town, which has retained much of its old character. It's a 5 minute drive to Sovereign Hill.
Plenty of restaurants around. We ordered the room service breakfast which was good.
Staff were very friendly and helpful. Room was very spacious but rather dark and gloomy, but no problem for 1 night. Had inverting air conditioner, which we used to heat the room as it was rather cold when we arrived.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Susan S, Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites City Views, responded to this review, November 23, 2011
Thank you for your wonderful review we really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience.
In relation to our breakfast service we pride ourselves on buying fresh and top quality produce and make everything to order and we are thrilled that you enyoyed your meal.