“One of the best taste sensations ever!”
Review of Catfish

Catfish
Ranked #18 of 319 Restaurants in Ballarat
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Melbourne, Australia
“One of the best taste sensations ever!”
Reviewed May 14, 2014

My parents took me there as a treat, and a treat it was! Have since returned to celebrate my birthday. This is one of the best taste sensations I have ever had. The food and flavour reminded me of eating experiences in Vietnam - where you seemed to be able to taste everything that was upon your fork. Your mouth just 'popped' with the freshness. Tried things never had before and familiar dishes tasted like nothing I had experienced in a Thai restaurant. So very much look forward to returning. And the wine list is also a great taste sensation! Would not hesitate to recommend it. It is small, so need to book in advance.

• Visited March 2014

victoria
“dont know what the rave is about”
Reviewed May 10, 2014

First impressions are important: Not being able to get in the door because there are 2 people waiting to be seated standing inside. Then being lead to our seats, squeezed past a table which luckily didn't have over weight people sitting at it, into our cramped 4 seat table for 5. Service was good. Intimate dining is not a possibility, very noisy. Spent the evening looking at black walls. Ordered the $65 banquet, a good 30 minute wait for first course soft shell crab which was not much crab and a lot of shell, taste very similar to the crunchy bits at the bottom of the deep fryer at home. we must have then crossed the time thresh hold as salad, soup, curry and stir fry came out thick and fast. The char grilled stir fry was burnt, not only could you smell the burnt but taste it as well and seeing I was the only one at the table to complain (which we thought was for all of us) I was the only one to have it discounted from my bill, although no one else ate it. Dessert was nice nothing to write home about, a bowl of rich chocolate sauce with doughnut holes from wendies, cocnut ice cream with some meringue sticks, and sliced guava served warm with a nut praline. Prices are over the top, $14.50 for dessert, $14 for cider, $13 for a glass of wine. No offer of tea or coffee just a quick please pay and get out so we can get the next lot of people in. We would have been better off going to a pub in Ballarat for half the price.
Personally would get better value and atmosphere from a pub meal.
Tick this off as a been there and done that venue.......

• Visited May 2014
Ballarat
“What a Gem for Ballarat”
Reviewed April 29, 2014

We have eaten in some very good restaurants and at Catfish you won't be disappointed. The food is excellent. Great flavours and great presentation. Cameron the host is a delight and the service was very attentive without being intrusive. Definitely book ahead as it is popular especially at the weekends. Would recommend it to all my friends.

• Visited April 2014
Melbourne, Australia
“Female = Value for Money - Male not so much”
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Being a foodie and a female, I loved the 6 course meal! It filled me up and the flavours were to die for. I have never been a fan of the soup and same for my friends so we never eat it but the rest of the meal is amazing. your palate is buzzing with flavours!

From a male (friends/partner) they found that there wasn't enough food for them and left hungry, which isn't good considering how much the meals are. Next time they'll just have to have a pre dinner snack!

Have been back 5 times, and will keep going. I think the environment needs some sound work done as its a tad too loud.

Overall, if you haven't experienced this.. book tomorrow.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank AvidExplorer88
Mumbai, Hanoi, Chennai, Calcutta
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Blown Away”
Reviewed April 18, 2014

I had the pleasure of dining at Catfish with two work colleagues a couple of weeks ago. I had heard good things about the restaurant and wanted to impress my guests so I booked for a Friday night. We were welcomed and made to feel at ease as soon as we walked in, seated and served drinks promptly.The view of the semi-open kitchen and the smells emanating from it were amazing and I couldn't wait to eat. We chose the banquet at $65 per head and were not disappointed. The selection of dishes was generous - nibbles/starters, then a stir-fry, curry, soup, salad, relish and rice as well as desserts. One of our party lived in Bangkok for over a decade proclaimed the meal the best he has eaten outside Thailand by far, and better than many in country! I certainly won't forget the amazing sour orange curry, or wagyu beef stir-fry and the balance of the whole meal was spot on and the food showed a lot of care and technique. With 2 bottles of excellent local wine and a couple of beers each the bill was still under $100 a head which given the quality of the meal is superb value. Service was excellent, friendly and efficient without being too intrusive and we left very satisfied. This is one not to miss if you are in Ballarat and I will be returning for sure.

• Visited April 2014