“Regent ballarat back to the 90's”

Regent Cinemas Ballarat
Ranked #4 of 14 Fun & Games in Ballarat
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: With a total of 6 Mainstream screens (2 of which screen Digital 3D) and 2 Gold Class screens, Regent Cinemas Ballarat offer a wide range of films from Blockbusters and 3D, to quality Showcase (Art-house) films screened both in standard and luxury Gold Class auditoriums. Cinema 1 is our historic main cinema which seats 700+ and caters for mainstream and 3D films, Live events such as bands, functions, conferencing. We also have Satellite facilities which allow broadcast of special around the world events.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
Reviewed February 21, 2014

I decided to take the family out for a treat Friday night and the pictures was the venue. As there is only one theatre in Ballarat the theatre was a given. Well the excitement stopped at the door with a very large que lined up at the ticket counter. That's ok there are some good shows on at the moment. 15 minutes later and only two of the three ticket windows open I arrive at the counter, four adults to theatre 1 please and hand over my card, we only take cash or credit here was the response. Is this girl serious, have I gone back in time. Who does not process eft post payment especially on a $70-80 purchase. There's a ATM over there on the wall I was told as I look back at the line that has continued to grow behind me. Are you serious , I responded as I had only purchased tickets two months earlier at the same counter using my standard bank card. We haven't had eftpos for four years the young girl responded in a condescending voice. Next please! Needless to say I went through the process all over again after getting cash out of the wall with a $2.50 surcharge! Off to the kiosk for munchies. I couldn't help but laugh out loud when I saw the sticky tape on the card machine covering the savings option. I will be very desperate to see a movie before I or my family and friends enter this venue again, and my experience will be told to many. The owner of this venue, a well known businessman appears to be doing quite well ripping off the Ballarat public with his Monopoly in this town.

3  Thank Mal M
"rows"
"viewing"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed February 18, 2014

I am a regular here, and member of the Regent Cinema's Movie Club, which is excellent value. A free ticket is giiven on joining and prices for members make movie going affordable.
The very best feature of the Regent Cinema complex is the sympathetic renovations, which have preserved its movie palace heritage.
Service and diversity of offerings have improved here in recent years. Though foreign film screenings are rare, The Regent, now offers more and more arthouse movies, as a genuine alternative to the ever present Hollywood Blockbusters.
My biggest gripe is with the Ballarat movie going public, who make a game of scattering popcorn all over the floor and sometimes even the seats and invariably leave the minute the credits roll.
I have not used the kiosk here, but often have a coffee following a screening at one of the excellent cafes that now abound nearby in Lydiard Street.
Art deco buffs will love the ornate plasterwork, chandaliers and doors.
Toilets at the Regent are plentiful and usually spotless.
The Regent also offers in house eating deals and a gold class screening cinema, if you are prepared to pay the hefty price!
Disabled access is not evident!

1  Thank fional943
Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

Located in the historic precinct of Lydiard street, this is a beautifully designed historic cinema with lovely decor on the outside like many of the other buildings in the area. The rest is just a cinema like anywhere else and it is the only one in Ballarat.

2  Thank 1TraveltheWorld
Reviewed January 11, 2014

It is a cinema, yes the only one in Ballarat but guys it is only a cinema, so what do you expect. The pocpcorn is expensive yes, the tickets are expensive yes and the service is average but hey, it's all you can expect from cinemas these days.
I recommend you buy a ticket online before you go and go to the online kiosk (up 3 steps on the left) when it's busy. Much quicker than waiting in the line on busy days. Bring your own snacks (unless you want to spend $12 on popcorn that's too salty and coke that tastes like water and chlorine). The cinema halls are not bad and the seats are fine. It's really just your average cinema, like most others in every city and town.

1  Thank Paoloha