All reviews southern cross sovereign hill light show package deal direct access devonshire tea buffet breakfast great package sovereign room gold museum living museum room key bunk beds dinner show great weekend theme park gold rush
Selected filters
Reviewed March 25, 2019 via mobile

We stayed at this place in March. The rooms was comfy and clean, although was a bit less modern than expected (maybe due to the carpet?). Breakfast was a good buffet style, although more rustic breads (or dark whole wheat) would be appreciated.

Date of stay: March 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 11, 2019

This hotel abuts the Sovereign Hill goldfield tourist area in Ballarat - in fact, its buildings are part of the original historical area, and look out on the Sovereign Hill site. Attractive landscaped grounds in a unique setting only 5 minutes drive from the centre of Ballarat. The standard of accommodation is very good. Budget rooms are very good standard - then it works up from there with improvements in bathroom size and general fit-out, but even bottom of the range is very acceptable. Service and friendliness of staff is excellent. I had a cheeping smoke alarm one night, and it was fixed in a flash. A dining room is available for breakfast, and about the only criticism is that on-site dining is not available in the evenings. On the other hand, there is plenty available within a 5-minute drive. Highly recommend.

Reviewed March 11, 2019 via mobile

Spent the weekend here. Great location to visit Sovereign Hill. Had a family room little bit of noise at night which disrupted little ones but over all good value for money. Breakfast was good but organisation needs a little work

Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed March 9, 2019 via mobile

I booked this room 3 months earlier for a visiting American friend, my husband & myself. We were on a 3 week driving holiday of Victoria & I did book each nights accommodation using a variety of sites. In most places a larger room with 3 beds worked well for us.
And I spent considerable time in finding accommodation to suit
This is what I thought I’d booked but on arrival we were told they only had us down for a double, but there was a sofa bed we could use. Now at the time of booking I was charged so much for 2 ppl and an extra 30 odd dollars for the third person. To their credit the room we were assigned was large but the sofa bed had a wafer thin mattress and in the end our friend slept on the sofa as it was (unrolled) still quite uncomfortable.
Luckily she’s not very tall.
What I really arc up about though is that if there’s a problem of any sort the hotel always blames the booking agent. They told me that they’ve repeatedly told Expedia not to book for 3 ppl in one room. Went on about how Expedia’s system allows this to be taken as a booking, ydey, yah.
I didn’t realise till later that I’d actually booked on Wotif-
But does it matter??
Surely given that they had 3 months to accept, deny, whatever our booking.
Perhaps sort it out before we arrive.
Whatever!!
And if you’re not happy with a particular booking company then don’t use them if you feel ‘their’ problems are annoying to you

Date of stay: February 2019
Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed March 8, 2019

We loved the top of the hill location of this hotel and the enjoyable walk to the historic village and park several times a day. We were warmly welcomed by a friendly staff who directed us to the tea service and a pleasant sitting room to enjoy it during check in. Later the staff went out of their way to solve a booking error. Our package included the hotel, a special dinner at one of the village theme restaurants and a Night Walk tour of the historic village which was to be the highlight of our stay. However a glitch occurred, neither restaurant was open or expecting us and the hotel could only suggest we drive to town, find a restaurant, and hopefully be back in time for the 9pm tour. We only had 75 minutes but just made it back in time to join the tour and find out that they had planned to hold the start for our arrival after all, even though many people were booked on the Night Walk. Lovely. It was a really interesting, educational, and fun tour with a great glimpse into Sovereign Hill history, and we were grateful the hotel had made sure we wouldn't miss it. Upon check out we found that not only had the cancelled restaurant cost been refunded, but they had also completely returned the fee for the Night Walk that we had happily taken. Thank you, Sovereign Hill Hotel!

Date of stay: January 2019