“Family weekend”

Sovereign Hill Hotel
Ranked #16 of 32 Hotels in Ballarat
“Family weekend”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

I booked the family sight and sound, dinner and accommodation package. We had a great time. Pity the check in wasn't until 2pm but somehow the people that came after us got their rooms before us. It would have been nice to drop our stuff off. Also it would have been nice if the keycard they gave us opened all the doors. We had a stroller but our room was down stairs, so someone would have to go in and let me in via ramp by the back. Dinner was nothing special, you didn't really get a choice. Dry horrid Meat and 3 veg. First drink was free. I thought they meant first alcoholic drink was free hence I ended up having to pay for my wine cos I ordered soft drink first. Don't expect bacon and eggs for brekky. It's just do it yourself toast, cereal and OJ.

The light and sound show more than made up for the food. The kids loved it and would happily see it again. Some of my favourite attractions would be the mine tour, gold panning and the old family photos you can get taken where you dress up. The staff were very friendly and informative.

If you go as a family, definitely go for the weekend so your not rushing around and you have enough time to see everything.

Room Tip: If you have a stroller or young children, ask for rooms on the ground floor so you Dont have to go d...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank HappyChameleon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Tatura, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

We decided to visit Soverign Hill for the night on our way to a family wedding. We purchased the Light & Sound, Dinner and Accomodation package. Staff were very friendly and we had direct access to Soverign Hill from our accommodation. While we didnt get a chance to visit the gold museum as we had to leave early the following day, the whole experience was great, its amazing to see our history displayed in such an interactive way so people of all ages can enjoy it!

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Wagga Wagga, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

I took my wife to Sovereign Hill for her 50th Birthday. We booked the 2 day pass package and stayed an extra night. The staff, Performers and otehr staff throughtout the Hill were fantastic and friendly. What a great experience. I would recommend this package to anyone.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

My husband and I bought the package for the sight and sound show, entrance (2 days), dinner and accommodation in a governor's room. Unfortunately we didn't arrive until late due to our flight from Brisbane to Melbourne being delayed so we didn't get to see any demonstrations. We also had to leave the next day rather early. I would have liked Sovereign Hill to have opened at around 8am so we could have at least enjoyed some time there the next day but it doesn't open until 10am.

We did manage to walk around Sovereign Hill after check in (which was stress free) and even though we didn't see the demonstrations we still found it very interesting - amazing. So much to see and the place was spotless with great authentic buildings.

We really enjoyed the light and sound show although the other guests (Indian - in full traditional dress - about a dozen of them) were very rude and talked through the show. I made a 'shush' sound a couple of times and they at least tried to be a little quieter. Such bad manners talking through the show!!! What we heard of the show was very interesting and I thought they did a great job of herding the people several times from place to place in a timely manner (on and off a small train as well) in order to maximise the interest in the show. It really helped that the weather was great - a little chilly but not raining :)

The meal before the show was what I would term a 'meat and three veg' but was plentiful and of good quality. It came with a bread roll and a complimentary glass of wine or beer as well as an assortment of dessert. Again, it was really unfortunate that the Indian guests were so rude. They felt that once they had finished their main meal (which came out as fast as the two young ladies could manage) they could go and help themselves to multiple desserts - one of each type - and left the rest of the guests looking for one if they were lucky. Our very sweet hostess looked a bit frazzled and when we queried why she said that the Indians had specifically requested dessert that was not made with milk products so they made a lovely fruit salad for them but they had eaten every piece of pavlova and chocolate mousse in the house and there was nothing left for anyone else! I know my husband loves pavlova (his favourite dessert) and as we were sitting in front of the dessert table and could see what was happening I leant over and said to him that if he wanted any he should go and get it even though he hadn't finished his meal (it was a help yourself table where you chose a dessert after you finished your meal). He went and got one for each of us and it was delicious - so glad he did as they were gone shortly after he went to get them. It surprised me that the same rude guests were still looking for their 4th/5th dessert and wondered why there was none left!

Now you may think I don't like Indians and this is truly not the case but this time they were clearly out of line and I must stress this only impacted on our experience and would not impact on others but the issue still should be mentioned. Perhaps some signs around the place for people to be quite during the show and choose only one dessert wouldn't go astray. Just say'n!

Now for the room, it was beautiful and very well appointed. It is obvious that it has been recently refurbished. The bed was beautifully comfortable, the TV was modern, there were robes in the closet (we didn't use them but they were there), the bathroom products were great and the whole ambience of the room was delightful. There is plenty of room (table and chairs as well), a fridge located in a closet which contained the ingredients to make your own continental breakfast which was just right for us as we are not into big breakfasts. It consisted of bread to toast with lots of different jams, vegemite, butter, all types of tea and coffee sachets, two cereal packets (different from each other) and a large carton of milk. Perfect! If I could pick a hole in the bedroom (and this is not easy as it was lovely) is that we found 5 flies in the room when we arrived and set ourselves a task of squatting them so we could get a decent night sleep! haha - a bit of fun really! The other thing is that there were a very large cobweb in the corner of the room that I think should have been removed and dead insects in the light shade. I don't really think these things were problems but mentioning them just in case others do think they are. If the flies, cobweb and insects in the light shade were not there I would have given this a 5 star award as the problems with the other guests are very difficult to control and not their fault. I've posted heaps of photos both of the room and Sovereign Hill itself. I hope you enjoy them. You can't take photos of the light and sound show so there isn't any of those.

I hope you all enjoy Sovereign Hill and I would certainly go back again and spend a full day enjoying the demonstrations.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank flossygirl
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

My husband and I received an accommodation package including a night at the Comfort Inn plus dinner and tickets to Blood on the Southern Cross light show for our wedding. This was a great present for a couple that doesn't go away much. Service was great, room was great for what we needed and having the convenience of access to Sovereign Hill was a great bonus too. Would definitely reccommend to others.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank melyz86
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

I decided to try one of the packages that was on offer at Sovereign Hill called "A night in the museum" which included a full period costume, horse couch ride, mine tour, afternoon tea, etiquette lessons, banquet dinner and much more. We stayed at Steinfields which was a renovated old furniture warehouse which was very nice as we had a lovely view through to Sovereign Hill. I think out of all the rooms at Steinfields our room would have had the best view only because the room right next to us which was the common room had the view straight down Main st.
The staff were lovely and we were even offered a complimentary nights stay and Blood on the southern cross tickets because there was a misprint on our itinerary stating that the show was included.
Overall was a great way to revisit a place my husband and I had seen as children and experience it very differently. Being in costume was a lot of fun and added to the experience of feeling what it would have been like in the 1800's.

• Stayed February 2013
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

We stayed at comfort Inn Sovereign Hill and booked the package which included entry to sovereign hill & dinner, also tickets to Blood On The Southern Cross. It was great staying where you could just walk through a gate to sovereign hill. The staff were very friendly and the rooms were great. Would recommend Comfort Inn.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends