“Relax at Ballarat Lodge”

Mercure Ballarat Hotel and Convention Centre
Ranked #7 of 33 Hotels in Ballarat
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Found Ballarat Lodge on Lastminute.com. Stayed here in Oct 2013 in a spacious Garden Room for two nights . Loved the old-wordly feel of the room and ambience of the property. Comfy King bed. Very clean. My friend and I had separate rooms and both were spotless. The Appelles Apothecary Shampoo/Condit/Soap/Lotion were so good I wanted to buy some when leaving. Set in beautiful gardens, weeping willows, a stream. Outdoor settings dotted around to sit and relax and read the complimentary newspaper. Meals at the restaurant are not too expensive, limited menu. There is a hotel next door which serves good meals and is far enough away that there is no noise from it. Room was quiet, didn't hear any traffic noise at all. There is also a great cafe nearby. It is opposite Sovereign Hill. Reception staff very helpful. Will stay there again ... soon I hope.

Room Tip: Had a Garden Room which was very quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Mercure Ballarat Hotel and Convention Centre

Reviewed October 5, 2013

Arrived today for a 2 day stay with my husband using the Entertainment book voucher. I wish that I'd have just sucked it up and gone with my gut and gone back to the Comfort inn beside Sovereign hill. we are staying in a spa room however my husband is a big fella and I don't see how he is going to be able to get into the spa considering the entrance to it is smaller than the shower door. The room is small and feels cramped. Smokers can smoke outside of our room (we don't smoke) and the smoke is coming in under the door. Parking is a nightmare. I'm not happy and I'm not looking forward to tonight or the night after. Wish I could cancel and leave.

Room Tip: the place looks flash but really isn't.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Booked this on wotif as a mystery 4 star hotel deal. Was a little surprised that this place was 4 star. The entry and surroundings are spacious and give off a good ol' country feel. Car parking was easy, plenty on the property. Check in was smooth and directions were provided by friendly reception staff.

We drove over to our accommodation and the furnishings were beautiful. The room was a good size with luggage space and the bathroom was decent and clean with a tub.

At night the temperature in the area drops very quickly and the gardens become a little chilly. The air con in the room will provide warmth and the blankets are plenty.

The noise from the road and people walking can be heard from the room so you may want to ask for a room towards the back of the property, especially if there is a function at the convention centre part of the hotel.

All in all a good stay for a relatively low price.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 12, 2013

This hotel was a mystery 'cheapie' on Wotif, and I'm glad I only paid $74/night! Staff on reception were welcoming and friendly, room was quiet and very cosy in the cold, windy & wet Ballarat weather. I think the grounds would be worth exploring in nicer months! I did need the extra blanket on top of the doona as I don't sleep with heating on. Large room, a little dated and tired. Bathroom big with shower over bath and glass doors, but inside it needed a really good scrub. Due to weather and my long drive, I decided to eat at the restaurant. But it was not open, instead meals were offered in the Heritage Bar which has a very limited menu. I ordered the lamb curry and while the naan bread was good & hot, the curry was not. More potatoes & carrots than lamb, and I could not taste any curry. I was one of two tables occupied by resident guests and the best thing was the roaring log fires. Check in and out easy, local newspaper complimentary.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a quiet room away from Main Road as it is a very busy road.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank LiniDee
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Stayed here for x2 nights. Nice location in walking distance to Sovereign Hill. Many restaurants near by. Has a country feel about it. Need to have a car if planning on adventuring. Only down fall was weather was not good... but thats out of anyones hands :)

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I've stayed there before when the place was new, so when I had to attend a function there, I booked in for a couple of days. I was quite disappointed at the quality of the room I was given - inside and out the furniture, fittings and appearance was worn and tired. Unless the place has a facelift, I won't be staying there again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I attended a 2 day workshop for worked and stay 1 night. It was a wonderful stay, the rooms are very comfortable with added extra, robes, slippers and a king bed. The bathroom was stylish with a spa bath but the shower was strange, you were unable to mix the hot and cold water in the shower,(cold water tap wouldn't turn) the water was set at a temp and it was a little hot - better than being cold. Not suitable for children - It may have just been a housekeeping issue not sure.
I had the buffet breakfast and it was yummy lots of choices. The staff very pleasant and seemed interested in serving you. The setting is very relaxing, gardens, small lake and a little creek, noticed many people on morning jogs and walks. A very enjoyable stay,thanks.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business