“Very average and hardly 4 star”

Mercure Ballarat Hotel and Convention Centre
Ranked #6 of 32 Hotels in Ballarat
Melbourne, Australia
“Very average and hardly 4 star”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

checked in to the poky dark room ordered room service Fish chip n salad.. arrived with no salad, ok no big deal but next day they charge 1.5 % extra CC fee despite 30% of the food missing??? Tried to have a shower in the morning.... no hot water??
Guess they can save the petty 1.5% and the money they saved by not bringing the salad and hire a plumber one day?

Room Tip: don't bother unless its location is of benifit its close to the uni but that's about all its...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
SSavic, General Manager at Mercure Ballarat Hotel and Convention Centre, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Chris,

Thank you for your review and we apologies for the issues you had with the hot water and lack of salad in your room service order. I don’t recall reading these incidents in our duty log however I have spoken with the relevant department heads and rectified the issues you experienced.

As we are the new owners of the Ballarat Lodge and Convention Centre the more feedback we receive the quicker we can react and have these kinds of problems rectified.

Thank you again for taking the time to post your concerns and we look forward to welcoming you back some day to experience the New Ballarat Lodge.

Kind regards,

Allan Benfield

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 27, 2013

we stayed in a queen room which was surprising kid friendly for a 2 yr and 11 month old cruiser with some furniture change we fitted 2 cots in there nicely. Please booked direct if staying here as they have a price match guarantee and you still get all the extras they price matched wotif. Zagames is next door for kids to play. Service and reception staff do a excellent job i think if you are not happy with something they are only more then happy to help. overall our experience was lovely and would stay here again. Very relaxing and nice walking path. We didn't have buffet breakfast but not to far away was Oscars in town which has a wonderful breakfast choices and excellent coffee. If you book breakfast at the lodge when booking accommodation it is only $15 a head

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Melton, Australia
Reviewed January 20, 2013

So I'm a little confused by my visort, the place it self is lovely and tranquil, the gardens are really quite lovely ( if you can see past the beer cans in the river or smokes budded out I the garden) the staff on front desk are friendly and ready to help, the bar safe not so much (and what bar dose not have tonic water ???) -to me I felt like ballarat loge used to be an amazing place to stay and now has began to become run down and a little tiered, I had read that people loved there full breakfast, I and my husband and brother did not enjoy it however dry rubbery bacon, watery poached eggs powdered ( i think at least tested like ) scrabbled eggs. NOT worth $25 a head! I did come with my family and we all stayed in separate rooms we had 7 rooms all up and I did like that I felt like we had our own space but not to far from each other and the wedding we attended at the same venue was lovely truly was. As I said at the start of this review I am confused by this hotel! I want to love it and I want to hate it. I can say this I would not Eat or dink hear again....

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne Australia
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Its a pity really. The place is/was nice I guess. For example, the massive pool table in the promo pics, in reality is tattered and water stained. The grounds are really nice, but no one is picking up rubbish. Uncollected room service trays outside rooms for 24-36 hours.

Swimming pool that I'd expect in a suburban backyard, no shade at all. Dirty. Rundown.

In the rooms the have old style cabinets for CRT TVs, they just put the new TVs on top in bunged some tea and coffee in the cabinet.

Breakfast, toaster takes 2 runs unless you just want warm bread. $25 for full which included two types of watery eggs. Smelly mushroom. Dry bacon and sausage. Acceptable pastries.
Trainstation /office automatic coffee / tea machine.

Fruits were nice. No cheese or anything I'd really expect at a nice hotel breakfast.

Bar is nice. When you can get service. (We had to use the bell 3 times, 10 mins on a sat afternoon)

Overall I get the sense that the lovely staff are doing their best, I suspect the new management needed to cut hours/staff after the change over. Its a pity really.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Our second stay at this property but the first under the new owners since it is no longer part of Mecure brand. The rooms are starting to look tired and are crowded with too much heavy furniture. It also appears that the Nespresso machines have been removed (or perhaps ours was missing?). The airconditioning we managed finally to turn on but then couldn't get it to switch off. The shower is very average with poor water pressure and low water temperature. The mattress was well worn and in need of replacement. It bottomed out in places and had a busted spring which dug in to your shoulder.

All of this could be overlooked at the right price but at $225 a night including breakfast that is a premium for an average hotel room.

What however for me results in the 1 star rating was that the hotel had a wedding on the Saturday night which didn't finish until 20 past midnight. The noise made sleeping impossible. So don't stay here if you value a good nights sleep.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple