“By far exceeded all expectations”
Review of Bakery Hill Motel

Bakery Hill Motel
Ranked #21 of 33 Hotels in Ballarat
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Only there for the night as that's all we needed and didn't have high expectations- however, was pleasantly surprised; gorgeous modern tweaks to a slightly dated room, spotless and faultless. Kylie and Mark were super helpful and friendly. We were attending the Red Hot Summer gig- Kylie was keen to help organise a bus pick up (we decided to drive) and we enjoyed a post gig review chat with Mark (who has great taste in music, by the way).

Like the name states, it is on a hill- so beware of the steep hill for parking but other than that, enjoy.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank lauren_fernando

Reviewed January 28, 2013

So three days before Australia Day I decided to turn the house (in Melbourne) over to my daughter and her friends, pack the sketchbook and have a weekend browse around the Victorian goldfield towns and their art galleries.
Ballarat seemed like a good base, got on Booking.com (and they are terrific too!)
Found one room left at the BW Bakery Hill Motel. This is always scary as you feel like you are at fickle Fate's mercy..
Need not have worried, it was a great find.
Got in late Australia Day to a spotless clean room, wonderful location - but the only thing that counts for me is the warmth of the welcome, and Mark and his wife epitomise the genuine, friendly Aussie spirit. He told me where I'd find food (many eating places), pointed me at the Aus-Day celebrations and fireworks display at the lake, even where to park.
Essentially, they turned a pleasant weekend into something warm and special.

And here's an opinion: The Ballarat Art Gallery is one of the nicest rural art galleries you will find in Australia. And do this: Go stand for a while in the darkened room that houses the Eureka flag. Then drive out to the stockade and let the mystical experience wash over you. You can keep Gallipolli. The Eureka stockade is the true heart & soul of Australian history.

Go there ... and stay at this motel.
Oh... and there is free wi-fi for the technophiles like me ;-)

Room Tip: If you have mobility problems, remember the name - it is on a hill, so it is on a slope. Make sure y...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We visited Ballarat on 3rd and 4th of January to catch up with friends and family and booked through our local travel agent in Wangaratta. Jason greeted us with a friendly welcome and advised us that we had room 13, stating "this is one of our better rooms". The room was okay apart from the textured plaster ceiling which previous occupiers had seen fit to scratch off in various patterns. On arrival I pulled out a chair to sit down for a cuppa and was dismayed to find various bits of rubbish on the floor, including twist ties, hairpin, crumbs etc. I immediately checked the bathroom and toilet which were immaculate so I just made a mental note to advise the owners when we checked out. On checkout day I sat on the single bed to put my shoes on and was horrified to see an empty condom wrapper on the floor under the queen sized bed. I immediately went to reception to advise them that I was not happy. Kylie suddenly became "otherwise committed" and went to get Mark. Nothing prepared me for his reaction which consisted of comments like "in 12 months we have never had a complaint", "our ratings have vastly improved since we took over" and "I can't give you a refund as you got an incredibly cheap deal which has not been offered for at least two years" (we paid $130 pn). I asked him to come to the room and see for himself. He refused stating "I'll do it when the cleaners get here". A polite apology would have been sufficient. We will definitely not be returning to this establishment and would certainly not recommend it.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Evelyn P
Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

We found the room to be very comfortable, clean & just a little dated.
Very friendly at check in & check out. The restaurant was magic, the service & staff made us very welcome! We'll be going back for sure!

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed November 5, 2012

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Quickbeds
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We stayed one night at this welcoming hotel on our way to Melbourne. I’d booked a standard queen size room, but on arrival we were delighted to learn that we had been upgraded to a kingsize executive room. The room overlooked the street at the location of a busy roundabout, but we were pleased to discover that very little traffic noise could be heard inside the room and it was quiet at night. The room was spacious, comfortable and spotlessly clean and had good quality furnishings. The bathroom was a good size and the shower unit was spacious, with good quality bathsheets provided. Breakfast was good and of a generous size.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We just spent the weekend at this Best Western Motel at Bakery Hill and were very pleased with everything. The new owners Mark and Kylie made us feel very welcome and went out of their way to make our stay pleasant. The family room we stayed in was very clean and very well kept. They are working hard to update some of the furnishings and facilities, which is great. We wish them all the best with their new venture. The location is awesome, walking distance to many eateries. The friendly service was the "icing on the cake". Truthfully, I'm pretty fussy and it can be so hard choosing accommodation over the internet but I would happily recommend this motel to others.

Room Tip: Very clean room and bathroom. Excellent condition.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family