“Lovely place.”

Ranked #30 of 32 Hotels in Ballarat
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Lovely place.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2012

I booked this motel basically because it was cheap. I really wasn't expecting too much, so I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived. The owners were lovely and welcoming. The rooms were clean, with all the basic necessities. I've stayed in more expensive, higher rated places in Ballarat and after staying at the Avenue, I can't think of anything that would justiy staying anywhere else. While it's not the newest or the most exclusive place in town, it has a really lovely aura about it, which is far more important than any star rating.
Keep up the good work.......I'm coming back to do the Sussan Mother's day classic fun run around the lake.......I'll be booking the Avenue!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Stella B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2012

I was a bit nervous when I opened the door to the room (after getting a lung full of the smell in the reception area) & it turns out that was for good reason! The room was very small, very musty & very smelly. A mix it seemed of stale smoke & dog urine. There was what appeared to dog hair on the chair. The shower was musty & mouldy BUT worst of all was the dog droppings that whoever was in control of the vacuum cleaner missed. This place is a disgrace & one that ought to be bypassed at all costs. I was sucked in by the cheap rate but as the old saying goes - if it sounds too good to be true - it probably is. I wasnt even game to have a cup of coffee after finding the room such an unhygenic state. We asked for a refund but the managers were uncooperative, but nonetheless we refused to stay in such a slum & decided to travel home instead

Room Tip: To choose a good room I would have to suggest you book another hotel. There are 3 or 4 others in the...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank gbolter

Travelers are raving about these Ballarat hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2012 via mobile

Word is the rooms stink. The carpets smells and the manager do not agree. If a room smells (I think they stink) then they have a problem and will not refund customers who complain .

Stayed April 2012
8 Thank Michael D
Avenuemotel1813, Owner at Avenue Motel, responded to this review, April 7, 2012
The couple with their child checked in at 3pm and wanted a refund at 9pm later that night, claiming that the room 'stinks'. We would have been happy to refund them if they came to us as soon as they checked out the room. However the bed, shower, tea and coffee had already been used, and they obviously spent quite a bit of time in there, so we thought the demands were highly unreasonable. Why did they spend so much time in the room if it smelled so much?

When they came to reception, the lady was complaining about the smell, however i clearly remember her husband saying that there wasn't any smell, but his wife said that there was and there was nothing he could do.

Despite all this, we ended up refunding them for one of the two nights they booked. We believe that we were very reasonable throughout.
Warrnambool, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2012

My fiance and I woke up the next morning to find bites all over our legs from bugs in the sheets. Firstly we found silver fish in the bed covers and after seeing a doctor we were informed we were bitten by fleas.There were rips in the bath towels, tears in the bed sheets, black mold in the shower and there was dog hair on the chairs. When I politely (with respect) approached the female manager about our bites (after waiting for half an hour at the door after opening time) I was spoken down to, told that i was being ridiculous, she told that I was making it up and that my bites were only 'old mosquito bites' (I'm a Nurse I'm pretty sure I know what bites look like!!), after I politely said that I was merely informing her about a problem that needed attention she said that "are you sure you dont have something wrong with you!!". All I wanted to do was get the hell out of there!! We were booked in for a second night and I asked for a refund for the second night and she refused to give us one and told me it was too late (at 8am in the morning, that she couldnt fill the booking) so I asked for a different room, to wake the following morning to find that someone had booked and slept in the room that we had got our bites from!! This room was number 25. We strongly recommend not ever staying at this motel! Poor service, poor rooms, and absolutely shocking disrespect from management. She appears pleasant at first but nearly reduced me to tears at the conclusion of our stay.

Room Tip: Do not stay here, especially in room 25!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank JessRossP
Avenuemotel1813, Owner at Avenue Motel, responded to this review, January 31, 2012
I remember this customer clearly as she was quite unreasonable.

At first, she claimed that she was suffering from insect bites from the room she was staying in. I was doubtful of her claim since no other customers have ever complained about such an issue in any of the rooms. On good faith, we agreed to change rooms for her. But she quickly changed her story and said that she was NOT suffering from insect bites, but was allergic to the detergents we use to clean the linens, and thus she could not stay in ANY of the rooms and wanted a refund. It was clear to us that her intention was to cancel the rooms using any excuse possible. An allergic reaction looks nothing like insect bites, and as a nurse, I'm sure she would be well aware.

I highly doubt our rooms are in as an awful state as she claims. Very recently before her arrival we confirmed our three star rating from AAA tourism, with no issues raised regarding hygiene. No other customers have raised similar concerns.

Any properly managed motel has at least a 48 hour cancellation policy, it is far too late to demand a cancellation on the MORNING that the room was booked.

All in all, I believe we were very reasonable in addressing her concerns. And its regretful that she had such an overreaction
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2011

Having recently stayed at another budget accomodarion in Ballarat, I wasn't expecting much from this place, thankfully though, I was pleased to find a nice, air-conditioned, modern room! Very simple but everything you need is there, the owner was very friendly when checking in and out and you could park your car right at your door. The only downside I can think of, was thin walls! I could hear the people next doors tv and phone voice, but it was far from unbearable. All in all, great value for the price.

• Stayed July 2011
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2011

We basically needed a bed for a night and this represented the best value in Ballarat and was only 5km from the city centre. At $82 for a Saturday night, this was perfect. The decor was bright (blue and white) and comfortable and well fitted with bar fridge, microwave, iron, kettle, cups and coffee and tea supplies. Electric blankets provided added comfort - esp when we returned to our room late on a wintry night. The bathroom was a little cold and the shower wasn't exactly inviting, but overall this was not a big issue - probably rate the shower 6/10. Not keen on the coloured lights that circled the temperature display on the air con unit. This is a motel so you are aware of the sounds outside - our sleep was interrupted by a domestic argument at 4.30 am and screeching cars. Still excellent value and would return.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank MelbourneDestany
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2011

I chose this motel online for it's convenient location and price. I was a little worried at first at the cheap price but was pleasantly surprised upon arrival. The room we stayed in was clean and comfortable, there was heating and the hot water was good, and that was enough for us.

I would definitely come back here for future trips.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple