“Lost Reservation”

Ranked #77 of 325 Restaurants in Ballarat
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Pipers by the Lake is spoilt for location being nestled between the historic Ballarat Botanical Gardens and the magnificent Lake Wendouree. Our 120 year old building is quite grand and lends itself to views of the Gardens and the lake. Outside seating is available, many tables with outside heaters for the cooler months. Pipers by the Lake is one of the most popular restaurants in Ballarat so come and see enjoy what we have to offer.
Reviewed December 16, 2012

I booked in for a group of 10 people for breakfast. I rang to confirm on the Friday (Our reservation was for the Sunday). They said that they couldn't find my reservation and that they were fully booked and they could help me. I told them I had booked in for 10 people at 10:30am, they said oh I suppose we can do that. For an expensive restaurant they have poor customer service They obviously didn't want my business, as I was the one that had to try and get a table.

When we got there, half the restaurant was empty.

There are newer reviews for Pipers by the Lake

Reviewed December 16, 2012

Nice view, set in botanical gardens, view of lake and wildlife (swans etc.). Food has been pretty good each time we've been here, country service. Nice range of food on the menu, nice decor etc. Outside seating as well if the weather's okay.

Go for a walk: lovely statues/art/buildings across the road to self-tour, greenhouse, shop etc. Busts of all the past Australian Prime Ministers, historic cottage etc.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

We were visiting Ballarat and decided to go to the botanical gardens and came across this restaurant. We had lunch here on Saturday. It was a beautiful day so we sat out on the deck. The setting is exquisite. The food was great, service very good as there was quite a lot of people dining. Recommend the Panini and also the asparagus and brie tart. The prices were excellent $17. They accept bookings for inside, but do not reserve tables out on the deck. This was great for us as we had stumbled across it. Look forward to visiting again soon.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Just okay. Took over half an hour to get a cup of coffe (and they were not that busy) and when it arrived it was almost cold

Reviewed November 9, 2012

This is my favourite place to catch up with friends. The food is fantastic and truly has something to suit all tastes - I highly recommend the beef and guinness pie! The service is great, the coffee one of the best I have had in Ballarat. The building is charming and cosy and the views are wonderful.