All reviews double shower function room off street parking central location comfortable bed saturday night great room spa bath clean rooms centre of town stayed one night old world charm good size oscars noise midnight accommodation
Selected filters
Reviewed March 22, 2019 via mobile

Very reasonably priced for its central location.
Rooms are clean spacious & the place is quiet
Good parking as well. Very clean bar and restaurant. Extremely helpful staff.
Definitely staying here again

Trip type: Traveled solo
NickyQuinlan, Manager at Oscar's Hotel & Cafe Bar, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2019

Thank you for your kind feedback Mick R. We're pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and found the rooms comfortable. We take pride in our helpful staff and our restaurant. Looking forward to seeing you next time you're in Ballarat.

Reviewed March 11, 2019

Need a central place to middle of Ballarat to stay and were very happy with Oscars.
Rooms were very well appointed, clean and tastefully decorated. Staff very helpful and friendly, and dining experience was lovely in the atrium courtyard. Excellent menu and food well presented and tasty. Have family now in Ballarat and need extra accommodation, so definitely be staying at Oscars again.

Room tip: Check if there are any functions on the night you are staying. Noise allowed to midnight !
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
NickyQuinlan, Manager at Oscar's Hotel & Cafe Bar, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2019

Thank you for your kind feedback Kareen B, we appreciate you taking the time to post a review. We;re pleased to hear you enjoyed our well-appointed rooms, friendly staff and lovey dining. Looking forward to seeing you next time.

Reviewed March 10, 2019

We dined at Oscars in the late afternoon after a long drive into Ballarat and found the atmosphere terrific.
The dining atrium included a bar area, which would be open for dinner, with 4 person table and chairs as well as bar height tables with stools. Its a great place to unwind, large TV screen, music and white umbrellas hanging from the ceiling to diffuse the sun which looked cool. We ordered the salt and pepper Calamari and a Warm chicken salad served on roasted butternut pumpkin with bacon, avocado and cos leaves dressed with a sweet honey mayo. Yummy and fresh. The Calamari was the best I've had. I've no hesitation on returning for dinner another time. Great value at $62 for 2 mains and 2 glasses of wine. The service was also very good. Might stay next time !

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
NickyQuinlan, Manager at Oscar's Hotel & Cafe Bar, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2019

Thank you for your kind feedback Trix L.
We appreciate you taking the time to post your review,m and are delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your experience. We look forward to seeing you again at Oscars.

Reviewed November 16, 2018 via mobile

What a great experience

The young staff were brilliant, engaging and were very polite.

I had the crispy beef, fabulous!

The rooms were awesome

Getting back to the staff, what a great crew!

Well done all

Date of stay: November 2018
Trip type: Traveled solo
Nicky Q, Manager at Oscar's Hotel & Cafe Bar, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2018

Thank you for your kind feedback Dreamer06503233468
We're delighted to hear you enjoyed your Oscars experience. The Crispy Beef is one of our most popular meals! Looking forward to seeing you next time.

Reviewed November 14, 2018

I initially stayed at Oscar’s Hotel in June 2016 and enjoyed my stay; when I returned to Ballarat for a weekend in June 2018, I opted to return to this hotel.

Four main things have influenced my decision to return for sub-sequent stays:

1) Staff have been very pleasant to deal with and helpful. Eg. Helping guests with bags and when there was a mix up with the bookings (someone under the same name booked a room for the same weekend and were allocated my room), the staff were prompt to handle the matter and offered complimentary drinks and a comfortable place to wait while the matter was sorted.

2) Rooms are very comfortable and clean with comfortable beds

3) The Hotel is situated on a main road with plenty of amenities surrounding it. Eg. A chemist, a shopping centre with a Target. The latter was particularly helpful during my most recent stay; I thought the attire for a dinner event I had come for was casual (and had arrived with only casual weekend clothes) but was able to visit Target to buy a more appropriate outfit to wear to the event.

4) Rooms reasonably priced

Several things to be aware of, however, if you are staying there hence the 4 star rating:

1) All rooms are upstairs and due to the age of the hotel, there are no lifts - my father was particularly disappointed by this and at having to continually climb a large flight of stairs

2) There is off street parking but very limited and fills up quite quickly making it difficult at times to get parking; the surface was very uneven, too, with several potholes

3) There are no toasters and/or microwaves in the rooms and very limited crockery (although there are mini bar fridges.) I suspect this is to deter guests from bringing their own provisions (eg. Toast, frozen meals, etc) to save money and instead buy food from the hotel downstairs (they do breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks and drinks.) Food is not cheap from the restaurant.

4) Oscar’s Hotel hosts functions such as 21st birthday parties. That and being on a main road means there can be noise. Eg. During my most recent stay, I could hear loud drunks shouting on the street below and struggled with getting to sleep.

Date of stay: June 2018
Nicky Q, Manager at Oscar's Hotel & Cafe Bar, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2018

Thank you for your feedback Masterofsolotravels.
We're pleased you found your stay with us comfortable. We take pride in our friendly staff and room cleanliness.