“Nice coffee and friendly service”

The Turret Cafe and Catering
Ranked #14 of 337 Restaurants in Ballarat
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Thanks, relaxing and cosy place to settle in for a coffee and cake, good options for both food and seating (couch, table or outside). Keep it going.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

My wife & I had lunch at The Turret on New Year’s Eve 2013 after spending the night in Ballarat & heading back to Adelaide by car. We more or less happened upon it, as we originally planned to have lunch elsewhere, but the other place was closed as it was New Year’s Eve.

The Turret is in a restored heritage building on the corner of Sturt & Errard Streets in Ballarat, and appears to be a restored government administrative building. The interior has beautiful décor, and is very inviting & sunny, with a restored fireplace, and great bay windows that look out over Sturt St.

As a café, it serves Amanti brand coffee, and I had a Mocha, while my wife had a hot chocolate, both of which were very nice. For lunch, I ordered a Souvlaki (without olives), while my wife ordered a Beef Curry. My Souvlaki was very nice, and the meat was prepared the way I like it – trim, and well done. My wife enjoyed her Beef Curry, although she noted that I probably would not have enjoyed it so much as she found the meat to be not so lean.

On the cost side, admittedly The Turret is not so cheap. Our lunches came in at just under $20au each, although I thought the coffee was reasonably well priced. The service was very good, with the meals coming out reasonably quickly given that they were somewhat gourmet in nature.

We only spent one day in Ballarat, and if I were to be in the town again for a week, I would likely return, although curiosity has me wanting to try a few more options in the town. However, if you are looking for a quality café strictly for coffee, I would think The Turret would be at least one of the best places in town.

Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

great spot for coffee and cakes. we often drop in on a lazy sunday to read the paper. lunches look nice although havent tried

Reviewed July 1, 2013

This cafe has nice decor & ambiance. The service was very good. The cafe served delicious & interesting meals; although the mushroom soup was far too thick. Good coffees too.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

I had reserved a table for lunch for a group of friends. When we arrived the table was set with menus and cutlery. The food arrived promptly and the coffee was great also. The cakes are to die for. It's just a shame it's so noise with the wooden floorboards and it caters for lots of drop in coffees. Otherwise it was a very pleasant experience and we will drop in again when we are back in town.