“Thank god for new owners ”
Review of The River Grill

The River Grill
Ranked #4 of 72 Restaurants in Bairnsdale
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

My hubby and I had eaten here 3 times before over the course of a few years and even though the food was great, the woman ( we have been told was the owners wife) was so dreadfully rude every time,we just couldn't justify the money spent on the night.
When I heard the place had new owners I took a friend there for lunch and it was fantastic. The food was even better and the new owner very nice. It was such a pleasant change from before however, I returned recently with 2 other friends and didn't quite enjoy it as much. obviously word had gotten around re change of ownership and great food.
It was lunch time and the place wasn't full, but had enough diners to be busy enough, the owner came to take our order and wasn't anywhere as nice or friendly as he had been, he didn't want to engage in any conversation, was quite short with us, took our order and left us wondering if we should leave.
Our food arrived pretty quickly and thank goodness it was really yummy. I had the calamari & the deconstructed cheesecake was to die for !
I only hope that the owner doesn't go down the path of the previous customer service - as word will get around pretty fast in this small town and he will find that people will not pay for rudeness and this place is not cheap, nor should it be. The food is fine fining and it's the best place to eat in town. I wish them all the best. I'll try it once more in the next couple of weeks and see how it goes. Stay tuned!!

1  Thank Spanawoman
There are newer reviews for The River Grill

Reviewed February 27, 2014

Amazing to find such an excellent restaurant in a small town. One of the best meals I have ever eaten complemented by excellent wine and very friendly service

1  Thank Bcollin
Reviewed February 24, 2014

This was the only restaurant we visited in Bairnsdale, a medium-sized town in country Victoria. It is usually possible for find a few restaurants providing good food, in towns like this, but maybe a bit less usual for find places aiming at 'fine dining'. The restaurant is bright and friendly and the staff helpful but not intrusive (which we prefer). Our food was prepared with good ingredients and cooked well, and a good selection of wine was available at reasonable prices. We got the impression the restaurant was trying very hard to achieve a very good standard, and overall our experience there was very good.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

My husband and I recently had dinner here. I was very pleased with the lovely service, and extremely delicious meals! All 3 courses were AMAZING. We both ordered a medium steak, and it was perfect!! Best steak I have had cooked for me EVER!
Have already recommended this to my friends, and I will be back for sure!!!! :)

Reviewed February 17, 2014

I had dinner at this wonderful restaurant recently and it was, without exaggeration, one of the BEST meals I've ever had - EVER. I was alone so the food was the focus; and each of the three courses was fabulous! The pasta dish main was just delicious - as good as I've ever had; and I've eaten pasta in Rome, Florence and throughout Sicily! The Honey Creme Brûlée was, again, as good as I've ever eaten. Not cheap, but still great value. Don't miss it if you're ever in Bairnsdale!!!