“best ribs in town”
Review of Smokey Joe's

Smokey Joe's
Ranked #43 of 316 Restaurants in Launceston
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children, Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed April 21, 2010

Went to Smokey Joe’s for dinner with my mates just the other day through recommendation and I have to say the food was awesome. Highly recommend the ribs served in surprisingly generous portions. Simply the best. Friendly staffs. Great atmosphere. Very authentic!

3  Thank t0mmyD

Reviewed April 9, 2010

As a return patron to smokey joe's I cant say enough about the quality of both the food and the service. It is a most welcoming atmosphere and the chef/owner is never to busy to give you a personal recommendation or to check that everything is to your liking. In response to a few other reviews, smokey joe's atmosphere is that which I would assume one would expect for the type of cuisine it offers, nothing too fancy but great well sized meals and staff at the ready to answer any questions you may have about anything on the menu. As for the comment about the overdone/ underdone ribs... which is it ? I fail to comprehend how a meal can be both over and under cooked??? There ribs are legendary and I strongly advise people to go and find out for themselves.

4  Thank Shan_Chev
Reviewed April 9, 2010

Want to thank John and all the staff for a lovely birthday dinner recently. My wife and our friends appreciated your friendly service and delicious food. We will definitely return soon. Tony and Edwina

1  Thank toneattas
Reviewed April 8, 2010

My 5 girlfriends and I recently enjoyed a lovely night out at Smokey Joe's. Fortunately, the night was warm enough to allow us to sit outside comfortably in the front courtyard for our meal. From the beginning we were impressed with the service of the attentive waitstaff and were not forgotten, even though we were seated outside and the restaurant was busy.

The wine list is not extensive but the owner was very helpful in recommending wines to suit the creole dishes and offered BYO as well. There is an extensive beer menu which really complimented the food on offer.

Our table ordered a lot of different entrees to begin with as the food was so reasonably priced and shared them around the table. I highly recommend the Quesadilla, Chili Cheese Fries and Deep Fried Mushrooms for sharing around... yum!

I was very impressed with the quality of my meal and the portion size. I ordered smoked swordfish steak served over wild rice with grapefruit hollandaise which was cooked to PERFECTION... I really do not understand how the previous review can call the ribs both undercooked AND overcooked at the same time, all of our meals were fantastic.

This is not a "tiny food - big plate" establishment and has a real home-cooked vibe about it, very comfortable and not stuck up! Although I did not have dessert, the Cafe New Orleans was really nice and a good end to my Smokey Joe's experience.

I really felt our group was looked after and we were not "hurried on" even though people were waiting for our tables at this busy little place ( I REALLY recommend booking on a Friday or Saturday night as it was full up by the time we were eating). The owner personally came out to ensure everything was to taste and fare-welled us at the end of our evening... We will definitely be back to work our way through the menu!!

3  Thank sugarmum01
Reviewed July 31, 2009

Been meaning to go there for a while and made it last week. It's great: nothing pretentious but good value for money and great food. They bill themselves as "the best BBQ in the Southern Hemisphere" and it's not far wrong. The owner/chef is a well-travelled yank who does his own smokehouse out the back and serves up a mix of genuine Cajun, Caribbean, mex food at down to earth prices. Nothing flash though: laminex tables and plastic chairs and the beer list sure beats the wine list, but BYO is welcome. Recommend the dry-rub ribs. About 500 metres outside the CBD, but an easy walk. In a refurbished house, with outside tables (in summer!!).

4  Thank Luigi A