“Relaxed or not, hard to tell?”
Review of Smokey Joe's

Smokey Joe's
Ranked #33 of 331 Restaurants in Launceston
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

I grabbed a quick bite at smokey joes and wasn't disappointed but similarly wasnt blown away. Can't put my finger on it, maybe it was the service, maybe the dining room? The food was great, I had the chimichanga - delicious - with some of the redemption hot sauce, just perfect. Couldn't be sure of the waitress was angry or frightened, enjoyed her job or hated it? Was expected cool, laid-back service, like the food, instead it was intense, loud lunchtime cafe churn and unfortunately the dining room matched the service. Was hoping for a booth or somewhere to hang with a big cool beer and flick peanut shells on the floor....I'm a dreamer!
Concentrate on the food, get a pile of beautifully cooked meat and slump into a coma - will return! Must try the ribs...

2  Thank grainger22
Jon P, Owner at Smokey Joe's, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to write your review. I'm glad you like our food and I would have to say that we do run a fairly laid back establishment (however I am also glad you didn't flick food on the floor--we're not that laid back). It's possible that your server was under a bit of pressure as one of our waitstaff is currently on holidays so the two on duty did a fantastic job of keeping pace on an extremely busy night. And yes, when the place fills up, it gets a bit intense, just like any restaurant does.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

Was in Launceston for a business trip and decided to try Smokey Joes.
It is easily the best American BBQ I have had in Australia and I enjoyed every bite.

I feel sad for the people who give it a low rating for presentation and atmosphere.

American BBQ isn't meant to be Fancy. It is meant to be messy eat with your hands and wipe your face with paper towels.

Guys...Live your life a little. You don't have to eat every meal with a pole stuck up your BUM!

4  Thank Frenchowdah

Thank you so much! you totally get it and we love that!

Reviewed January 18, 2013

A truly lovely experience had by a party of four this evening. Two locals and two from Hobart, all of us very looking forward to our meal this evening. We weren't disappointed! After reading mixed reviews we were so pleasantly surprised to find that most reviews were right - the food was amazing! Between four of us we shared fire fries - bloody hot, bloody lovely, beef brisket- succulent is the word used to describe this dish, pulled pork sandwich - discarded the bread, not enough room in me, but the pork was the best Ive ever had, (including my own), pork ribs and chicken also on our menu. We all tasted each others meals and the general consensus was awesome. Chicken a little ordinary but only in comparison to the massive flavours of the other meals.We all decided a standout of the meals in general were the beautiful beans!
Maragaritas were great. Wine menu good value, nice beer selection, service was friendly and efficient, food fantastic, owner a lovely guy to chat to. Will definitely return.

3  Thank ChristinaKaye
Reviewed January 8, 2013

In short I would grade this 4.5/5 but trip advisor won't let me.
Small so do call to book.
Quaint n rustic southern American decor.
Owner/chef very friendly but small restaurant.
Ordered chilli fries but surprisingly so-so only ( not crispy n slightly soggy but quite flavoursome). Good thing we ordered that as took mains a while to come up.
Wife had tender ribs but I actually tasted better ( which were home BBQ). I had gumbo with some 'hot sauce' added which was beautiful. I have never had such a dish before but was great!
Dessert was also really really good. Coffee with chicory was quite nice too.
Will recommend it to friends.

2  Thank Dexeaur
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We (Group of 6 of us) went there on the 4th of January after reading all the great reviews on here. After travelling to the US 3 times now and tasting creole food, we wanted to see how well this compared to what are saying as the best creole in Australia. Unfortunately, I have to say that this was the worst dining experience in my life. We arrived at 7.20pm and the decor and atmosphere was quite nice. However, from there everything went downhill. We ordered at about 7.30pm and asked how many buffalo wings there were in the order as 3 of us wanted one and were told by the waiter there was 3 so we ordered a serving. 5 minutes later the waiter returned and said there were only 2 in the order and we told him we no longer wanted it ($10 for 2 chicken wings is quite ridiculous). At about 8.15pm, 45 mins after ordering and were not even updated by the waiter in the meantime about being sorry for the long wait and what not, we were brought the buffalo wings which we did not order. We were then brought our meals at 8.50pm, almost 90 minutes after ordering which is ridiculous considering only ordering mains. What makes it worst is that 5 of the 6 meals were brought out and the other was brought out over 5 minutes later which is UNACCEPTABLE. As a restaurant, you must deliver all meals to a table at the same time, otherwise, had we waited, all our meals would have gone cold and would have had to be sent back to the kitchen to get a new meal. There were no apologies from the waiters or even the owner who went to every other table in the restaurant apart from ours to see how the meals were going. In terms of the food, it was average at best. We ordered both types of ribs and unfortunately they were quite dry, usually the meat on a rib should be moist irregardless of if it is dry rubbed or has a sauce. The potato salad and chicken were nice however, The sauce was average and did lack a depth of flavour I have found in many ribs I have tasted throughout many southern states in the US. What makes this the absolute worst dining experience is that when we mentioned this to the staff when paying the bill, we, the customer, WERE BLAMED for their stuff up made by the waiter with the entree which is why the wait time was so long, No apologies or anything. We were then also told the 90 minute wait time was due to the restaurant being full but that is not any excuse when only mains are ordered for a table for 6, maybe if the group is much larger, but if a restaurant cant cater for a group of 6, then it has issues. So if you want to go to try average creole food at a restaurant where you are treated like trash (being neglected and not even the occasional check in by the waiter to inform us about the wait, and being blamed for the waiters mistake) where you have to wait ridiculous amounts of time for your meal, then this restaurant is for you. The owner will probably come on here and say this review is false but I can tell you this is 100% true and he overheard the discussion about this with the waiter when the bill was being paid. I truly did want to enjoy this restaurant as I travelled all the way from Hobart (2.5 hour drive) to try the restaurant as it would be my first creole experience in Australia, however, it was truly disappointing.

3  Thank Mitchell M

Wow. where to begin? Obviously, this person won't be back, so I guess I'm talking to some of you who may be thinking of visiting. We record the times that each table's order is taken, and when the food goes out--they waited an hour and six minutes on a night when every seat and table was full. Normally, people would have a drink, starters, and conversation. This party did not. The waitstaff brought the food out in about three trips, so the last to be served could possibly have been five minutes after the first, but good grief! If you want fast food, for heaven's sake, go to a drive thru!