“Straight out of the bayou!”
Review of Smokey Joe's

Smokey Joe's
Ranked #34 of 308 Restaurants in Launceston
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
“Straight out of the bayou!”
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I happened to come across Smoky Joe's online in the mood for something different and I'm glad I did! The creole cooking is spot on. I had the croc (tastes just like gator) and gumbo. All with a bottle of Budweiser for sake of authenticity. Great find!

Oh and try the hot sauce. They make it in house and it packs a punch!

2 Thank Imhungryas
Jon P, Owner at Smokey Joe's, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Thank you! And it's true... croc really DOES taste just like gator!

Perth, Western Australia
“Beautiful Brisket!”
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I really enjoyed my beef brisket at Smokey Joes. I left commenting to our waitress that it was lucky I didn't live in Launceston or i'd be the size of a house! It's hard to find creole cuisine in Australia and this was a great home style meal with bags of flavour. Brisket just fell apart as soon as the fork touched it. My partner had the pulled pork sandwich, which was still moist, with a hint of spices - too often you can find pulled pork to be dry, but this was perfect. We went mid week at around 6pm and found a table without too much trouble. If you don't have a good creole/cajun place in your city, visit this one in Launceston before you head home!

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank singletrack32
Jon P, Owner at Smokey Joe's, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Thanks! Our beef brisket is one of the signature dishes and I'm really pleased that you enjoyed it! It's also great when customers like you understand the cuisine and form an opinion based on that understanding!
“Absolutely amazing.”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

You would be hard pressed to find better food in and amazing atmosphere then smokey joes.
The service is exceptional and you feel like your at home as soon as you walk in.

2 Thank amandapotts
Jon P, Owner at Smokey Joe's, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Thank you! We do try to make everyone feel comfortable and it's good to hear the feedback.
Hobart, Australia
“Launceston Creole Cuisine”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Ecellent food and good friendly service. Book early to make sure you get a table - its very popular and after our first visit it is easy to see why. I tried the Prawn and Scampi Creole (at the hot spicy level) and was delighted. My partener was equally pleased with the moderately spiced version. Take a good wine, or buy one there. The food deserves it.

Visited August 2012
2 Thank geoffdan
Jon P, Owner at Smokey Joe's, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Thank you so much! We look forward to serving you when you return!
Launceston, Australia
“A little dissapointed”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We walk past Smokey Joe's whenever we go to the footy in Launceston and decided it was time to try it. Did a bit of research on trip advisor and were really looking forward to visiting after reading the great reviews.
Loved the feel of the place, staff were friendly and wecoming. Two of us are big Sav Blonc fans, so were dissapointed that there was only one on the menu and that this was out of stock....back to the drawing board..decided on a local Pinot, which was fine.
Had read about the 'Fire Fries' so shared one serve between us...they certainly delivered, one plate between four was ample as a starter.
My husband went for the Northern style BBQ Ribs with a baked potato. He enjoyed them, I tried them and found them a bit too smokey for my liking...purely a personal taste.
The other gent with us went for the Prawn Scampi Creole and was very happy.
Myself and other lady liked the sound of the Chimichanga. This is a large meal, packed with carbs! Had the Tortilla been served with just a tablespoon of refried beans and a tablespoon of Spanish rice instead of the large amount it came with, it would probably have been more appealing. Didn't mind the Tortilla but felt it could have been a bit spicier.
We sat near a couple of ladys who are Smokey Joe fanatics...one of them had the BBQ Brisket with coleslaw....it looked great and had me wishing i had gone for that instead of the Chimichanga.
Had read great reviews on the Banana Foster so my husband tried that and it did not dissapoint.
Lauraine had the Muddy Creme Brulee, not dissapointed. I decided to try the Beignet after being advised by our Smokey Joe fanatics how to eat it with a CNO (Cafe' New Orleans...with imported chicory)..I wasn't that impressed, Ok but nothing to rave about. (was it the chicory that kept me awake well in to the night?)
We did enjoy our evening, enjoyed that we could easily chat with the diners at the next table, in fact we felt that this added to the night.
When we got back to our hotel we had a bit of a post mortem on the evening. We were glad we tried Smokey Joe's..felt that some of the rave reviews were a bit over the top..would we be rushing back...no...there are a lot more places in Launceston that we need to try...that's not to say we won't give it another go down the track.

• Visited August 2012
Jon P, Owner at Smokey Joe's, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Thanks for your review, and I'm glad you enjoyed the food! I'm sorry we ran out of Sav Blanc on the evening you visited, but I am happy that you enjoyed the Pinot.