“Great service, but......”

Toro's
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed February 3, 2012

We wanted something quick before going to the movies, so we weren't after fine dining and didn't expect it. The wait staff were told we needed to be in and out quickly to make it to the movies in time and they were very obliging and friendly.
To get inside the restaurant we had to walk across a small outside verandah which was sun drenched and quite a nice ambience with the grape vine trellising and olive trees in big pots. So it was disappointing to go inside where it is stark and sterile. It was very clean however. We asked to be seated outside and the waitress said "absolutely, no problem, I'll just need a moment to set up a table". Quite often a request such as that can be met with an air of indifference or resistance.
Food came quickly and having ordered tapas it was nice that it all arrived at the same time. Unfortunately it was something I could have cooked myself at home if I had a recipe from woman's weekly or New Idea. The lettuce tasted like it was straight out of a Coles $2 bag and the mushrooms were exactly the same as the bog standard Coles bought buttons. Don't get me wrong, it was nice, it's just underwhelming to taste food at a restaurant and realize it is uninspired and reproducible with very little effort at home.
Have had tapas at Salsa in Launceston and it is a far more inspired eating experience.
I hope the guys in the kitchen can eventually catch up with the front of house staff, because they were a credit to the establishment.

Reviewed January 17, 2012

We went back here after previously visiting 2 years ago. It is still as good as ever and we were very pleased with the food and especially the service. We had Spanish beer and wine which is nice to find in Launceston. The tapas was as we would expect and anyone on here suggesting that the portions were too small do not understand tapas. If you want a bigger portion don't order tapas - order from the main menu - which by the way also looks very nice.

Reviewed January 8, 2012

Have been coming to this restaurant for about 5 years now and I just love this place. The service and staff are fantastic and the food is superb! I highly recommend the Tappas, Paella, Steaks and the desserts are to die for! I look forward to dining at the new premises in Charles Street in the near future :)

Reviewed January 3, 2012

Had the best night steak was awesome, staff were very friendly and made the night very enjoyable nothing was too difficult for them, even after half way through our meal when we decided we should enjoy the beautiful night outside. I would recommend this establishment to anyone.

Reviewed December 21, 2011

Food was OK but my expectations were a bit high having been to Spain recently. Atmosphere lively and spanish beer available. I had tapas, but some of the other main courses looked good - paella at the table next to me was very large quantity and customers seemed happy with it. Service was good. Ask for a table away from the bar as the constant stream of waiters collecting drinks was a bit annoying

1  Thank Tassiegolly