“A lovely Father's Day lunch”

The Gorge Restaurant and Kiosk
Ranked #35 of 314 Restaurants in Launceston
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 31, 2013

With Fathers Day coming up, we decided to dine at one of our favourite restaurants situated in the beautiful Cataract Gorge. My meal of slow braised goat on polenta was lovely as was my Rabbit pie with Swiss. Brown mushroom with side salad. I had to find room which wasn't hard to do for dessert, a star on the menu for ages, chocolate ripple vacherin on Kailua cream. A favourite dessert with all at our table. My partner enjoyed the soup of the moment, which was roasted parsnip and garlic, his main meal was salmon with a Parmesan crust with salad and small potatoes followed by a rhubarb and apple dessert. It was a beautiful day so we decided to move out onto the balcony to have our meal. The service was fast and efficient, the meal delicious. Thanks Adrian.

1  Thank Glenda C
There are newer reviews for The Gorge Restaurant and Kiosk

Reviewed August 1, 2013

The staff was very friendly and when I called to make a reservation, the lady at the other side of the line stayed with me on the line until we were able to find the restaurant and she allocated a table for my boyfriend and I before we arrived. Food was great.

1  Thank NinaN4
Reviewed June 22, 2013

My partner and I lunched at The Gorge Restaurant in the grounds of the beautiful Cataract Gorge in Launceston. Parking was easy and a scenic walk to the restaurant allowed time to view the gorge basins.

The extensive wine list has something for all tastes and budgets and ours was divine. My partner had the 'Winter Special' which was two courses for a set price. I chose directly from the menu.

My salmon linguine was delicious and more than I needed. My partner had the eye fillet which was perfectly cooked. For dessert I had the chocolate ripple vacherin on Kailua cream and my partner had the passionfruit gelato. All round, a superb meal with friendly and efficient service.

1  Thank Penny G
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We usually dine at the Gorge Restaurant a couple of times a year they do offer a winter special which is very good value 2 or 3 courses with amazing choices.
This time we chose the Turkish bread with chilli olive oil entrée I had the salmon linguine which was a good size and heaps of house cured salmon, other half had the spring bay mussels which were huge done in a tomato sauce accompanying bread. Main I had the eye fillet rare melted in your mouth came with new potatoes carrots snow peas and tomato. The catch of the day was Hapuka with garlic prawns again the other half raved. Dessert chocolate ripple ice cream meringue and lemon tart with berries. 4 Drinks bill came to $130 all up. The restaurant was very quiet and offered exceptional service Adrian was a master host as always. Beautiful setting of a daytime an old building with heaps of charm definitely not a tourist trap will return again and again.

1  Thank TasmaniaLovesydney
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Mothers' day saw me, my husband and our 4 year old daughter at the Gorge restaurant. Clearly many others had the same idea, it was packed. Our waiter was calm and cheerful and made us feel welcome. Service took a while but that was understandable. Lovely that he treated our girl like an adult with her own menu and a smile. My trevalla was perfectly cooked, the Parmesan crust crisp and flavourful. My husbands salmon was also well cooked, but the accompanying vegetables were very few and barely warm. Daughter's chips and nuggets were as expected, and a second serving of sauce was no problem - I really liked our waiter! My desert choice was disappointing - a lemon tart with a good citrus kick but a commercial texture and I suspect a long time in the fridge. Daughter's banana pudding was perfect.
So a mixed experience - great service, a little light on quantity, and one desert choice less than satisfactory. But with stunning views and a comfortable dining room, well worth a visit.

1  Thank gallopinggourmet70