“Stingy service with ripped off price!”
Review of Stillwater

Stillwater
Ranked #4 of 314 Restaurants in Launceston
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Local Food, local wine, local talent.... Stillwater's food and wine philosophy: Our food is fresh, grown locally by passionate producers who rely on the attributes of our natural environment. Our State regulations keep the modification out of our genetics, the artificial out of our hormones and the free in our ranging animals. We know grass fed, antibiotic free, natural, happy animals make better meat....even if they aren't 'super sized'. Our water is clean, sourced from Cape Grim on Tasmania's North West Coast, home of the cleanest air on the planet. Our wines flow from around the State but being located in the Tamar Valley means Stillwater is a cornerstone for the local vignerons hosting a list that showcases the highly respected local tipples. Stillwater Partners: The Stillwater owner partnership is home grown as well, raised in a community that nurtures its youth and cares about its neighbours. Stillwater Restaurant: Being fortunate enough to live and work in one of the most beautiful places on the planet is one of the bonuses for the team at Stillwater River Cafe, Restaurant and Wine Bar. Situated in the historic Ritchie's Mill at the mouth of the Cataract Gorge on the banks of the Tamar River in Launceston, Tasmania the restaurant glows with the authentic warmth only an 1830's timber building can offer. The casually elegant ambiance ensures guests feel welcome and comfortable whether enjoying a casual breakfast, corporate lunch, special dinner, a glass of wine after work or just a coffee. Comprised of a number of spaces Stillwater has a main dining room that seats guests comfortably amongst the Oregon timber beams and Kauri pine floors and the original bluestone wine cellar full of character as well as fabulous wines. On fine days the outdoor courtyard offers views overlooking the Tamar River and the Wine Bar adjacent to the entrance is a great retreat for a bar snack and cocktail. Stillwater is open 7 days a week for breakfast and lunch and Tuesday* through Saturday for our indulgent evening menu (*subject to winter hours), reservations are highly recommended. A vibrant centre of the local community, Stillwater has achieved many hospitality, wine and business awards over the years from local to National for all aspects of the business. Stillwater Providore: The food theme continues throughout the building with The Providore above Stillwater showcasing our fabulous local produce in a deli and food shop alongside talented local arts, craft and homewares.
Reviewed February 22, 2013

My fiancee and I went for lunch today and it was quite a disappointing dining experience. I ordered King Island beef sirloin and it states that it wound be MR which means medium rare. The meat was over cooked and it certainly is not medium rare.
Being a meat lover, I have been to many top market restaurants like The Prime Steakhouse and Kingsley's steakhouse in Sydney, I feel the portion of meal and the way they cook do not meet the high standard of steak. The meal was overprice and the portion of the meal was quite small. I was given two pieces of overcooked sirloin and two small pieces of homemade gnocchi. I have to say the steak could be better if it's not overcooked but homemade gnocchi was tasty. For the price of 31 dollars as such a small portion meal, I feel this is definitely a ripped off.
I accidentally knock off my wine and only left a quarter in the glass but the waitress did no offer to top up the wine which is quite stingy.
For my fiancee's meal, he had white fish, the fish was very nice, but the portion of rice was about 3 mouth fulls on some kind of sauce tray. This is another rip off, how do you eat the meal with three mouthful's of rice? We did ask for more rice and they obliged.Tourists maybe happy to pay this price but I believe Launceston people would not agree, we walked out still hungry after an expensive experience.
We strongly believe this certainly is not the right way to rip customers off to run a sustainable successful business in Launceston or anywhere.

20  Thank C H
There are newer reviews for Stillwater

Reviewed February 21, 2013

I had dined here some years and was very impressed. Since then I have recommended it to friends who were travelling to Tasmania and all commented on how much they enjoyed the experience. On this occasion I dined with my wife and a friend for lunch. Iam happy to say the standard has been maintained. The food was outstanding. I must also comment on the staff who are so well trained and unobtrusive as they go about their work. Wonderful location and a must if you are in Launceston

Reviewed February 20, 2013

Really good, the food is great, the wine is great, the staff are unbelievable... and are well informed and not pretentious.
I enjoyed my time here and will get back as soon as i possibly can.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

i loved this restaurant. The staff are well trained, and very nice, the food is just tops, and the lay out is ex. Great place you have Launceston! you should be comended.

Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Amazing food and service as always. Dinner was so good we came back for breakfast which was also fantastic.

1  Thank A Y