“Perfect in every possible ways.”

Snappers Restaurant
Ranked #150 of 335 Restaurants in Launceston
Cuisines: Seafood, Australian, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 10, 2012

First and foremost, I'd like to thank this restaurant for the unforgettable experience. It was my birthday when I dine in, and I have to say this is the best birthday dinner ever. Secondly, I'd like to congratulate the restaurant for winning the Best Mercure Restaurant award, yes I saw the award behind the counter, and you absolutely deserved it.

No problem with same day booking. We were greeted politely as soon as we stepped in, yes, no wait time at all! The staff was quick to point out that they were serving a new menu thus there would be no specials that night, and introduced the soup of the day. She then poured water for us, asked what beverages can she get us, and told us where the wine list was. Seriously, this level of efficiency is rare!

The wine list was quite interesting, a good selection for different price range as well. We ordered, oyster kilpatrick and garlic butter calamari as entrees. Eye fillet and salmon for main. You can see them in the images I've attached.

We were blown away by the calamari! Trust me, if you're going in, make sure you get the calamari! The calamari just feels like it melts in your mouth, unbelievable...ooh how I wish I can get a piece right now! To top it off, the dish comes with some salad and mandarin that balance well with the calamari. Mandarin with calamari...thank you chef! The oysters on the other hand, was too small to say the least. Not sure why thought, don't oysters get fat over winter before spawn??

The eye fillet was a little "over-grilled", I ordered medium-rare, it came out medium. The missus was about to put her hand up to complaint until I had my first bite on the meat and stopped her immediately. I think I learnt a lesson here; do not judge food from its appearance. The meat is high quality, it's more well selected and prepared than any other steakhouses in town which most seem to be over-rated, or have gone down in quality over time. The salmon was wrapped in bacon, and was baked (I think...I could be wrong) to perfection. Not sure which part of salmon it was, but it felt like the fat was evenly distributed, making the whole piece very tender.

I was thinking of getting some desserts, but missus had too much merlot and started talking gibberish, so we left without getting any. The dessert list was quite exciting though.

The price is "up there", relatively, but I'd say it's still reasonable and well worth every penny.

I'd like to give special thanks the staff for coming over to check on us only once during our meal, and yes, once is enough. Thanks to the chef for putting in so much time and effort for the amazing dinner. And last but not least, a big thanks to whoever put together and manages such a great team.

Thanks for having us, keep up the good work!

1  Thank Alvin W
MercureLauncestonGM, Manager at Snappers Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2012

Dear Alvin W,

Thank you for taking the time to write a Trip Advisor post following your recent dining experience at Snappers Restaurant.

It was a pleasure to read your detailed description from your birthday evening at our restaurant. Our Chef, Kitchen team and Front of House team were very pleased that your night was so enjoyable. Thank you for the descriptive comments relating to our new a la carte dishes as well as the service you received on the night.

This feedback encourages our team to keep up their hard work and produce high levels of service and deliver quality meals to our guests.

I hope we will see you and your wife dining with us again soon.

Mercure Launceston

Reviewed July 21, 2012

Food quality was good, and a good size, although a little pricey. The Creme Brulee was lovely.
Breakfast was a good variety of hot and cold food, cereals etc. Apple Juice was very refreshing and loved the Nespresso coffee machine.

MercureLauncestonGM, Guest Relations Manager at Snappers Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

Dear Margw5,

Thank you for taking the time to write a Trip Advisor post following your recent stay at Mercure Launceston, it is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your comments regarding the breakfast and dinner menu's with our chef and the Food and Beverage Team as I'm sure that this will motivate them to continue striving for the best products and service in Launceston.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Mercure Launceston in the near future,

Mercure Launceston

Reviewed July 14, 2012 via mobile

Visited here whilst staying at the hotel. One of the best restaurants I've been too in a long time. The food was fantastic and I couldn't fault the service in any area. We had the salt and pepper calamari, bruschetta, steak, salad and chips. I would definietly reccomend this restaurant to anyone staying in the Launceston area!! 10/10!!!!

Dear Amy2468,

Thank you for taking the time to write a Trip Advisor post following your recent visit to Snappers Restaurant at Mercure Launceston, it is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your 'calamari, bruschetta and steak' feedback with our chef and also your comments regarding the service with our Food and Beverage Team as I'm sure that this will motivate them to continue striving for the best products and service in Launceston.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Snappers Restaurant in the near future.

Snappers Restaurant - Mercure Launceston

Reviewed June 28, 2012

We have tried the small quality menu but we can't go past the seafood platter for two. Expensive but well worth it when everything is in season. Nice quiet dining room and good service.

Reviewed June 21, 2012

Sorry I didn't get the names of the service staff, but they did a fine job considering that the restaurant was busy on the night we visited on 14 June 2012.

Food was good too.